Photo
- - - - -

New BuddyPress and Problems with Pagelines

Best Answer James B , 27 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

Hi there, it looks like you're using multisite, try adding

define( 'PL_NO_DYNAMIC_URL', true );

to the wp-config.php file. This should over ride the permalinks for the css.

See - http://www.pagelines...-css-error-500/

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 onlinetracker

onlinetracker

• Members

• 154 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Whenever I go to the Register page to one of my sites, and it seems to only be this one... essentially my largest project, so its pretty bothersome, the CSS is thrown off.

This only happens when BuddyPress is activated and the version is the latest, but its an update from the previous version, before they did the big changes.

If you visit www.ohmtown.com/join/ you'll see what I'm talking about.

This wasn't happening prior to the latest updates to BuddyPress. The pagelines compatibility plugin is installed and activated, I have gone through the file template moving section. I'm just stuck trying to figure out why this is going on.

Any ideas? Has this happened to you?

Thanks.

PS... its ONLY BuddyPress pages, but since this is so tied to Pagelines, I figured a good place to start is here with this community since there is no telling if it is problematic with another theme, let alone Pagelines Framework.

#2 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

First thing to try is disable all other non-pagelines plugins and see if the issue persists. then try reactivating the plugins one by one to find the culprit that is causing the conflict. 

#3 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

Make sure you have the buddypress integration plugin active and the buddypress template pack. After the update you might need to run the update/settings for each plugin to make sure the settings are re-installed.

#4 onlinetracker

onlinetracker

• Members

• 154 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

First thing to try is disable all other non-pagelines plugins and see if the issue persists. then try reactivating the plugins one by one to find the culprit that is causing the conflict. 

Welp, that is always the first thing anyone should do. For me, it proved fruitless well before I asked the question. Since this wasn't a Pagelines issue, but I wanted to see if anyone had run into it and was running Pagelines, I figured I'd ask just in case.

The solution ended up that I had to delete all of the old template files from the theme directory, like Actvity and Registration, etc...

After doing that, things were really wonky even though the new 1.7.2 doesn't appear to create ANYTHING in the Pagelines theme directory, part of the new BuddyPress magic is that you don't need a specific theme. I ended up purging the site of BuddyPress related directories, deleting the Plugin altogether, and the template pack, and the Pagelines extension and then reinstalling.

That did the trick. It appears all of my settings were retained, so now I have to do some testing to make sure my other plugins related to BuddyPress and the interconnection with bbPress hasn't created some kind of black hole.

#5 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

Hi there, glad that worked and you managed to get resolved :-)

#6 onlinetracker

onlinetracker

• Members

• 154 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

After further testing, things are still kind of wonky. the BP pages are all Archive Templates and nothing I do effects them. So I get some strange page presentation. If you go to the site and click on the sites/activity/groups links, you'll see what is going on. This, to me, is simply because BP1.7 doesn't use the template pack anymore and that has thrown some wrenches into the working.

This site is completely rebuilt on a fresh database and nothing but the latest builds of the framework and buddypress.

It is essentially the same issue I had before, but a little more controlled to be template layout issues.

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

Did you know that if you are logged into WP as admin, you cannot properly access the Register page? Did you select a template for that page?

#8 onlinetracker

onlinetracker

• Members

• 154 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

Did you know that if you are logged into WP as admin, you cannot properly access the Register page? Did you select a template for that page?

@

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I might have to start a new topic for this because the beginning of the thread consists of the same issues, but on a different install of this site. At any rate, although I have selected a template [be it the "default" or one of the other 5 templates] the admin bar reflects that all of the buddypress related pages are using the "Archive" template. This does not change even when I select a different template. For instance, right now, in the page manager, I have them all selected as "Template 1" [although this may change if you visit and can see that, it may change to "default" while I'm tweaking things to figure it all out].

So, if you go to any of the buddypress pages, they all have the "by" line under the title, and the "Read Full Article" and I've gone so far as to disable entire sections from the assigned template, and it has no impact. Okay, so maybe I'm overlooking something simple, but the Archives Template doesn't appear in the page template options in the page editor. But I've hardly ever looked at that aspect in past sites.

#9 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

Can we have a link to this site? Without it, the process of helping you is considerably more difficult.

#10 onlinetracker

onlinetracker

• Members

• 154 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

Can we have a link to this site? Without it, the process of helping you is considerably more difficult.

It was in my OP.

Anyway.. check it out, this is the unmodified site, essentially several plugins that aren't page related and Pagelines + bbPress + BuddyPress 1.7. Fresh install, new DB, new everything. The site just got its first graphics in place about 3 minutes ago.

www.ohmTown.com

Thanks for taking a look.

#11 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hi,

Something has caused a key piece of your code to be set incorrectly.

Let me show you an example.  The code below is in your compiled CSS.

Add the following code to Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > Custom Code.

You can adjust the 95% to your wishes.

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

The "Read Full Article" and byline are elements of the template.  We can hide them, theoretically, with CSS as a temporary solution. 

Try this:

#13 onlinetracker

onlinetracker

• Members

• 154 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

The "Read Full Article" and byline are elements of the template.  We can hide them, theoretically, with CSS as a temporary solution. 

Try this:

Rob, thanks for sticking with this. Much appreciated. I didn't want to tweak anything in custom code so that anyone interested could dork around and see if they can spot the error. I did your recommendation and it worked like a charm. So, what would cause the CSS glitch to get baked in? I'll have to redisable plugins that are now active because I never saw the formatting error until I activated BuddyPress 1.7.

Anyway, I would love to disable them in some way, but I think the real issue has to do with the template being marked as "Archive".

Can I remove the 'Viewing archives for ""' and the Read Full Article and byline programmatically, through custom code?

Thanks again for following up.

#14 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Yes, you can remove the "" with CSS.

I recommend using Firebug for Firefox (a free add-on). 

The code could have come from a wide variety of sources and unfortunately, I can't do that level of diagnostics. It could take weeks of code review.  The important thing, I believe, is simply to help you make your site look as you desire, no matter the causes.  I hope you concur.

The lower of my two codes should have removed the "Read Full Article" tag.

#15 onlinetracker

onlinetracker

• Members

• 154 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

Rob,

Sorry. I don't even know how I missed it, asked a question about it, and quoted it at the same time.

At any rate, I'll try again, but my first try using that code didn't work to remove it the elements.

edit: i don't think it is recognizing #buddypress, it removes the "continue reading" feature if I remove #buddypress.

edit2: removing the '' was as easy as removing the continue reading link, but all of this is site wide now. The div was .current_posts_info.

Very odd, I've never run into it but I don't tweak too much. In this case, it was like this from installation on and is BuddyPress 1.7.2 specific.

Thanks

#16 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hi. 

If you remove #buddypress  from #buddypress .continue_reading_link, then the system will remove the Continue Reading link from your site. By leaving the #buddypress part in there, the CSS is instructed to remove it from Buddypress only.

If you don't mind there being no "Continue Reading" link in blog articles, then there's no problem removing #buddypress entirely from that snippet.

It should work with the #buddypress tag.

#17 onlinetracker

onlinetracker

• Members

• 154 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

It should work with the #buddypress tag.

Yep, it should. It just doesn't. I've reinstalled this three times now on different systems with different downloads and I get the same issue. Buddypress pages are assigned the archive template and changing the page template does nothing to affect that and anything #buddypress tagged [and attempted to remove] does nothing as well.

Something is obviously wrong, but I haven't heard much current news of conflicts like this. It has happened before with BP, but that was 3-4 years ago and not applicable with the new build of BuddyPress since it doesn't use the template pack anymore [or at least, it shouldn't].

#18 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

There have been some recent discussion about BuddyPress, templates and PageLines.  To be clear, the issue about BuddyPress and templates relates to themes, not frameworks. In our framework, a template is important.  While you can try it, I assure you that the structure of the framework will likely cause problems when BuddyPress is used without a template selection, and particularly without the PageLines integration.

I don't know why the #buddypress code isn't working.  Are you using Base Theme for your BuddyPress installation's activated theme?

#19 onlinetracker

onlinetracker

• Members

• 154 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

At the point where you ask the question, I was not using the Base Theme. I have since switched, not expecting it to change anything, and it certainly didn't do anything. Not sure if that is because the infrastucture of BuddyPress was already in place and just turned off while I did the switch to Base Theme and hence nothing would change, or the problem just exists and will get addressed eventually.

There was another thread on the matter, but that was a year ago. Haven't heard if it was addressed successfully by the creator of that thread though. It just kind of trailed off. I renewed that thread by asking if it was resolved. We shall see.

(edit): I have reactivated BuddyPress and the BuddyPress Template Pack as well as the Pagelines Buddypress plugins... if you look at www.ohmtown.com now, the BP pages have messed up CSS which was my original issue and the reason I rebuilt the site from the ground up [whole new database, no graphics, content free, plugin free, etc] and I'm essentially back at my starting point. BP1.7 has been somewhat of  nightmare for me but I don't like going backwards.

(edit 2): I broke out Firebug and it says this when accessing

, the directory it is trying to access doesn't exist on my server and if it is temporary, its being deleted pretty quick as I have my FTP client open and refreshing:

NetworkError: 500 Internal Server Error -

"

Edited by onlinetracker, 24 June 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#20 onlinetracker

onlinetracker

• Members

• 154 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

So, what would cause CSS to bork like this? Firebug shows me a 500 Internal Server Error when visiting the activity page for BuddyPress. It says something isn't available (

) . I've never run into this, and changing something in the Pagelines control panel and have it recompile doesn't change anything.

Any ideas?