36 replies to this topic

#1 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC
  • Framework Version:2.4.4

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

I've been working on my new site, and I'm on 2.4.1 ...I see the update to 2.4.2 is available. Is that going to screw up my Code I've added in the Customize plugin? I was thinking I was cool with the Customize plugin, but should I just create a child theme and go that route if I'm not using a template?

I was thinking I already had set up a child theme, but I started using the Customize plugin and it was working, so I didn't bother with the style.css in the child theme...

My directory:

pagelines

pagelines-template-theme

Thanks!

#2 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

Upgrading the core framework will NEVER overwrite any files in the customise plugin, or a child theme, they are separate folders. As long as you have not edited any of the core files you will be fine.

As always make a backup in case.

#3 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

Er, what's the best way to make a backup of the files... Hmmm, well I used to work in Dreamweaver and push the stuff up to the site with my ste file setup... but I've been working on this site through wp-admin. Seems like I remember that was a bad idea before, but Is that not the way to go?

Also, if I change the permalinks (to page names) is that going to screw up custom code that identifies page i.d. with the css?

Thanks! 

#4 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

Well there are loads if backup plugins for Wordpress.
Also nearly every host has a backup solution.

Yes page ids are numerical and do not change.

#5 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

O.K. Backed up the site and did the upgrade without issue... Thanks.

Now, this may be a multi-part Question...

I have my site on a sub-domain, so I want to move it to the root level (as opposed to re-directing) to make it the main site as I'd like to keep that sub-domain for testing... Which seems to be process I went through when I changed hosting. So I have the steps for backing up Pagelines and the wordpress site so,

2. Do I have to have a plus account to use Pagelines framework on my testing site and main site?

3. Can my current site and the testing site use the same database on my hosting service (Go Daddy) or dio I need to create a new Database for the test site?

If this should be a new post I'll redo...

Thanks!

#6 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

O.K. Backed up the site and did the upgrade without issue... Thanks.

Now, this may be a multi-part Question...

I have my site on a sub-domain, so I want to move it to the root level (as opposed to re-directing) to make it the main site as I'd like to keep that sub-domain for testing... Which seems to be process I went through when I changed hosting. So I have the steps for backing up Pagelines and the wordpress site so,

2. Do I have to have a plus account to use Pagelines framework on my testing site and main site?

3. Can my current site and the testing site use the same database on my hosting service (Go Daddy) or dio I need to create a new Database for the test site?

If this should be a new post I'll redo...

Thanks!

2. No you can use it as many times as you want for your use.

3. Either give the new site a separate db or use a different table prefix.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#7 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

Update... I did a fresh install of WP at the root level... reimported the site files  and Pagelines .dat file and everything seems to be there. Yayy. Well everything except the images that is and galleries... wp.config says it's using the same database as the test site so the images are there.

How do I point the (new)install to the files... And

Is there a way to restore the galleries from new-gen gallery?

I reinstalled all the custom css in the customize plugin no problem...

Thanks! 

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hi there,

You can copy the uploads folder with the images in and then import a copy into the new site.

If you're looking to change the urls of the files to point to the new site try a plugin like velvet blues -

#9 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:32 AM

I copied the gallery folder (file manager) into wp-content but they're not showing up in the next-gen gallery plugin or the pages? Hmmm... seems like they would show up if the gallery looks for the content in wp_content/gallery... which is where I put them?

I was going to copy the uploads folder too (to new site) but is the same thing going to happen? It appears that the images used by Pagelines theme are still connected to test site in the sub-domain?

So I have the original site at the sub-domain working... and the new install in the root level which is complete except for gallery and some images? I was thinking I could just copy the gallery folder and the uploads folder to the new wp_content and it would work. Will that not work?

Thanks for the help... almost there!

#10 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

1. I copied the gallery folder from my old site to wp_content on the new site

2. I copied the uploads folder from the old site to wp_content on the new site

A couple questions here...

Both sites are using the same database at this point... Can they both use the same database, and I just add stuff as I'm going along?

Do I need to rebuild my media Library and new-gen gallery... or can I just re-import them from the zip file? I didn't see any import feature on gallery or media library?

Thanks...

#11 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hi,

To clarify, you copied folders found in wp-content/ on an older site to a newer one, by reproducing the exact same folder structure? So wp-content/uploads (old source) becomes wp-content/uploads (new source)?

If you're having any issues, you should first go to Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks and without changing anything, simply save the settings.  It is very important that you not change the structure of the permalink, but update them by saving.

#12 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yep. I have the old site on a sub-domain... I just recreated the site at the root level of the main domain. So i've recreated everything except the media library and galleries.

What I did: I copied uploads (from old site) to the new wp_content... And gallery (from old site) to the new wp_content... I didn't change the permalinks at all on the old site while I was working on it. 

#13 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

Hmmm... saved the permalinks and still no images for galleries and media library. I backed up all the gallery files and media files. But, I was hoping I could just relink or something...

#14 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

It should relink if you have saved Permalinks without changing.

#15 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

I'm not sure what's up... I didn't touch the permalinks when I rebuilt the site. Here's the links to the two sites:

dhrcreative.com (new site)

test.dhrcreative.com (old site)

#16 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

Did you use the WordPress export tools?

#17 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

Yes. I exported the whole site from wordpress tools/export... then import/export settings from Paglines admin... The site is basically reconstructed except it won't find the media and galleries? The images that are displaying I think are pointing to the old site? Any way to fix this without recreating the gallery/media???

#18 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

I hate to use up all my support questions in one thread... but, any idea how I can get this working? I'm a little reluctant to reload the galleries and media files, since I copied the old stuff in to the new install? Should I delete all that and start over (very time consuming) or is there some way to re-connect or disconnect the old stuff? Geez, seems like I should jut be able to point the wp_config in the right directory and go?

Bummer! 

#19 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

Hi there, nextgen stores it's images in a gallery folder in the wp-content folder outside of the standard media library. Have you checked this folder is in the same place in the site structure on the new site? If you take a url from an image within the gallery, are you able to see it by placing that url directly into a browser? Looking at your url for the new site everything seems fine minus next gen, which keeps spinning.

There's a guide to moving nextgen over with a site install manually here which could help -

#20 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

What's happening is the images that are showing up are coming from the old sites media library... even though I moved all the files in upload to the new wp_content. I also copied the gallery folder into wp_content as well. I don't seem to be able to get the new site to look at the correct folder without redoing the entire library. What the? I need to figure this out for future reference, needless to say... I followed all the guidelines for moving a site but it always seems there's something that doesn't work!