Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upgrade to latest...

Question

Posted · Report post

I've been working on my new site, and I'm on 2.4.1 ...I see the update to 2.4.2 is available. Is that going to screw up my Code I've added in the Customize plugin? I was thinking I was cool with the Customize plugin, but should I just create a child theme and go that route if I'm not using a template?

I was thinking I already had set up a child theme, but I started using the Customize plugin and it was working, so I didn't bother with the style.css in the child theme...

My directory:

pagelines

pagelines-template-theme

Thanks!

36 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi there,

You can copy the uploads folder with the images in and then import a copy into the new site.

If you're looking to change the urls of the files to point to the new site try a plugin like velvet blues - http://wordpress.org/plugins/velvet-blues-update-urls/

Posted · Report post

I copied the gallery folder (file manager) into wp-content but they're not showing up in the next-gen gallery plugin or the pages? Hmmm... seems like they would show up if the gallery looks for the content in wp_content/gallery... which is where I put them?

I was going to copy the uploads folder too (to new site) but is the same thing going to happen? It appears that the images used by Pagelines theme are still connected to test site in the sub-domain?

So I have the original site at the sub-domain working... and the new install in the root level which is complete except for gallery and some images? I was thinking I could just copy the gallery folder and the uploads folder to the new wp_content and it would work. Will that not work?

Thanks for the help... almost there!

Posted · Report post

1. I copied the gallery folder from my old site to wp_content on the new site

2. I copied the uploads folder from the old site to wp_content on the new site

A couple questions here...

Both sites are using the same database at this point... Can they both use the same database, and I just add stuff as I'm going along?

Do I need to rebuild my media Library and new-gen gallery... or can I just re-import them from the zip file? I didn't see any import feature on gallery or media library?

Thanks...

Posted · Report post

Hi,

To clarify, you copied folders found in wp-content/ on an older site to a newer one, by reproducing the exact same folder structure? So wp-content/uploads (old source) becomes wp-content/uploads (new source)?

If you're having any issues, you should first go to Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks and without changing anything, simply save the settings.  It is very important that you not change the structure of the permalink, but update them by saving.

Posted · Report post

I realize I said I'd stay away for awhile but... My media library is still showing no images. There are a lot of images in the uploads folder in wp_content, but they won't show up in the library? The post images aren't showing up either?

Hmmmm... I guess there's no way to move the images into the database like the gallery? Some of the site graphics are showing up, (that were page specific), but nothing in the library???

Posted · Report post

Yep. I have the old site on a sub-domain... I just recreated the site at the root level of the main domain. So i've recreated everything except the media library and galleries.

What I did: I copied uploads (from old site) to the new wp_content... And gallery (from old site) to the new wp_content... I didn't change the permalinks at all on the old site while I was working on it. 

Posted · Report post

Hmmm... saved the permalinks and still no images for galleries and media library. I backed up all the gallery files and media files. But, I was hoping I could just relink or something...

Posted · Report post

So, can I do the same thing as with the gallery table... export the wp_posts and reimport into the new database?

Posted · Report post

It should relink if you have saved Permalinks without changing.

Posted · Report post

Er, well since no one answered yet, Yes... you can do that! Ha!

This is the way to fix the wp_gallery also... Export the wp_posts, save that text file... copy and paste into text edit and remove formatting so you can add .txt on the end of file name... go into the new database, delete wp_posts, re-import the new wp_posts.txt file and voila! All graphics etc. are back.

Woot! 

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure what's up... I didn't touch the permalinks when I rebuilt the site. Here's the links to the two sites:

dhrcreative.com (new site)

test.dhrcreative.com (old site)

Posted · Report post

Argghhh! They disappeared! is this getting ridiculous or what... Now I have blank image icons in the library? 

Posted · Report post

Did you use the WordPress export tools?

Posted · Report post

Check out - http://wordpress.org/support/topic/wordpress-migration-lost-galleries.

Unfortunately we're limited as to what we can assist you with, we can literally help with specifics related to the framework, moving wordpress and it's core files or third party plugins you'll need to log a support request at wordpress.org to progress further. The solutions we've provided so far don't seem to be effective.

Posted · Report post

Yes. I exported the whole site from wordpress tools/export... then import/export settings from Paglines admin... The site is basically reconstructed except it won't find the media and galleries? The images that are displaying I think are pointing to the old site? Any way to fix this without recreating the gallery/media???

Posted · Report post

I hate to use up all my support questions in one thread... but, any idea how I can get this working? I'm a little reluctant to reload the galleries and media files, since I copied the old stuff in to the new install? Should I delete all that and start over (very time consuming) or is there some way to re-connect or disconnect the old stuff? Geez, seems like I should jut be able to point the wp_config in the right directory and go?

Bummer! 

Posted · Report post

Hi there, nextgen stores it's images in a gallery folder in the wp-content folder outside of the standard media library. Have you checked this folder is in the same place in the site structure on the new site? If you take a url from an image within the gallery, are you able to see it by placing that url directly into a browser? Looking at your url for the new site everything seems fine minus next gen, which keeps spinning.

There's a guide to moving nextgen over with a site install manually here which could help - http://wordpress.org/support/topic/transferring-a-site-with-nextgen-gallery-installed

Posted · Report post

What's happening is the images that are showing up are coming from the old sites media library... even though I moved all the files in upload to the new wp_content. I also copied the gallery folder into wp_content as well. I don't seem to be able to get the new site to look at the correct folder without redoing the entire library. What the? I need to figure this out for future reference, needless to say... I followed all the guidelines for moving a site but it always seems there's something that doesn't work!  

Posted · Report post

Did you try the url update plugin mentioned earlier?

Wordpress stores ALL urls absolute, so when you export something, the full urls get exported.

Posted · Report post

Velvet Blues – Update url's... yes tried that too. Changed the urls from test.dhrcreative.com to dhrcreative.com This page refuses to show the background image also although I've uploaded a new one 3 times. Damn, this is really pissing me off. Half of the template pages won't show the background image...

http://dhrcreative.com/?page_id=20

Posted · Report post

Theres no background for a simple reason.

The background uses javascript to make it full screen, but your gallery is crashing because it cant find the source, so your browser is quitting all javascript execution, therefore no background.

Posted · Report post

Hmmm... I don't get it. Should I not have copied the upload and gallery folders from the test site to the new site? I can't imagine having 100 images from one site, and not be able to reimport them to the new site? Is that not possible?

At this point should I start over, or what? Thanks for your help regardless!

Posted · Report post

Upgrading the core framework will NEVER overwrite any files in the customise plugin, or a child theme, they are separate folders. As long as you have not edited any of the core files you will be fine.

As always make a backup in case.

Posted · Report post

Er, what's the best way to make a backup of the files... Hmmm, well I used to work in Dreamweaver and push the stuff up to the site with my ste file setup... but I've been working on this site through wp-admin. Seems like I remember that was a bad idea before, but Is that not the way to go?

Also, if I change the permalinks (to page names) is that going to screw up custom code that identifies page i.d. with the css?

Thanks! 

Posted · Report post

Well there are loads if backup plugins for Wordpress.

Also nearly every host has a backup solution.

Yes page ids are numerical and do not change.