[Note - I previously started this conversation in a separate thread but I want to open it up for more discussion so am reposting here.]
I want to learn how to create/customise a child theme in Pagelines but I have no idea where to start, and can't find any documentation to help me.
I just watched the PDET Video tutorials. They were a little out of date but still very helpful in understanding how to create Pagelines Sections, even for a beginner coder like me. The problem is there are no more video tutorials! Sections were covered, but where are the rest of the promised videos on Themes and Plugins? We need a series of tutorials (maybe as videos) taking us though the steps of building a Pagelines child theme from scratch (or from the base child theme), similar to the sections video tutorials. I have looked at the Theming page but it does make a lot of assumptions about our knowledge. I currently don't really understand how all the different components fit together in creating a child theme.
Here are my questions:
- To build a child theme for Pagelines, do we need to know Wordpress theming already? If yes, are there any good tutorials out there to take us through the process?
- How do all the components of a child theme fit together? How do hooks and actions fit into the design?
- Do we need to learn LESS before we begin? Any good resources for this?
- Is there an example theme that uses bootstrap available? I want to understand how to use the grid.
- Is it easy to take an existing Wordpress theme and convert it into a Pagelines child theme? How do I do this? Would I even want to, or is it too long-winded?
- What are the best tools to use? How do you see what you are doing (CSS changes etc.)?
- Are their any video tutorials explaining how to create child themes for Pagelines?
I like Pagelines in principle, but these days very few of us would build a WP theme from scratch for a new website - we'd simply take an existing theme and customise it. Pagelines does not appear to have much choice in this regard, since there are currently very paid few child themes available.
Thanks in advance.