• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 greenfrog

greenfrog

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:42 AM

I can't get the Carousel to loop endlessly.

I'm using a Carousel at the base of the page on this site:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

When it runs to the end of the 20 thumbnails, it just stops - leaving a blank area which is unsightly and not useful.

Is there a fix for this?

If not, do any of the premium carousels solve this problem?

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

Hi,

Do you use NextGen as the source of the thumbnails or, do you use the post's featured image?

I've noticed that if the source of the images is any other source than the post featured image, the carousel will come to 20 posts, stop, pause then recycle.

I don't know that any of our other premium carousels do that, but sincerely doubt they do.

#3 greenfrog

greenfrog

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the reply Rob.

In that particular case I'm using the post's featured image, as I want the carousel images to link to equivalent pages. 

Are you saying that the carousel does loop endlessly for everything except featured posts? If so, it would be great to fix that.

I'm willing to buy a premium section if it doesn't have this problem, but would like to know that for sure before I invest in one,

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:10 AM

Hi there, my carousel uses posts and it continuously scrolls through. Have you checked in the meta panel to make sure you've set up the number of displayed items and scrolled items correctly. I have both of mine set to 5. 

#5 greenfrog

greenfrog

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hi there, my carousel uses posts and it continuously scrolls through. Have you checked in the meta panel to make sure you've set up the number of displayed items and scrolled items correctly. I have both of mine set to 5. 

Hi James. It was kind of you to reply and I'm sorry to take so long to respond.

I had at one time set the number of custom posts to 19, then added an extra post (totalling 20) and changed the setting in Carousel accordingly. After your post I changed the number in the setting from 20 to something else, then back again.. and at first i thought the problem might be solved. Then i re-sized the window and the carousel disappeared.. again.

I've since spent longer trying to work out what triggers a problem with the Carousel for me. Re-sizing the window seems to be the main issue; the carousel loops endlessly until the window is re-sized. If that's the case for other people too, it may not be a problem that affects many folk, but it would be nice to get it fixed. Re-sizing doesn't seem to mess things up until the first complete loop has completed - then the Carousel seems to perform in a rather unstable way.

Even without re-sizing, i get an odd effect whereby the loop continues, but some of the thumbnails (the ones on the right) are missing until the Carousel moves, when they appear but shift to the left. In other words, the right half of the thumbnail set has a tendency to go missing at any given time.

I haven't checked these issues on all browsers, but get a similar result using Chrome and Firefox.

Time permitting I'll do some more tests. I wonder if using 20 custom posts exceeds the capacity of the Carousel for some reason? A smaller name may work more reliably. As and when I get more info about this i'll report back.

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

The Carousel is an older section, so I can't say that it's 100% responsive, which might be why it is hiccuping with resizing.  Remember, when you do that, you're forcing the scripting behind it to refresh with a different size. Not only is the size of the carousel itself being resized, but the thumbnails in the carousel are also being rescaled.

You may simply want to replace it with one of our premium carousel products like

, or

I have the standard carousel on my site, with 20 posts displayed, and it flows consistently. The source is the post thumbnails (featured images), with no problems.  My embarrassment is that the site is so darn big, I can't find the thing to show you. After 230,000 posts and pages, things occasionally get lost. :(

#7 greenfrog

greenfrog

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

Thanks Rob. I have considered getting one of the Premium Carousels. Problem is I really want something that auto-rotates like the regular carousel - and ideally something that will display items within a fairly narrow band - say five in a row as at present. It's not clear to me that either of those alternatives could meet those criteria. Nothing I can find in the documentation of either says they can be set to auto-rotate; Adam's Carousel looks nice,. but when i click on the "more info" link it returns an error page.

Strikes me there's a niche in the market for a section designer to fill..

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

I'm sure if you look around, you'll find a suitable plugin that suits your requirements.  You may want to try contacting Adam (he's a nice guy), and asking him if his product does what you want, or can be customized.

Other sources for carousels include

(free) and

(premium).

Yes, it is a good concept for a section.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carousel