• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 historybanter

historybanter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Framework Version:pagelines pro

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:53 AM

I apologize if someone has answered this already, but I've looked everywhere. I also apologize if my verbiage is confusing.

In the Pagelines Pro feature slider options menu, I'm given the option to have dots, post titles, and 50x30 post thumbnails on my slider. I don't like any of these options. I want big thumbnails with the title listed on them. 

I started by picking thumbnails and used css to increase the size of my thumbnails and feature slider navigation bar. With that done, I'd now like to have the title of the post in a small font at the bottom of the thumbnails. Preferably with a black background. I've noticed that each thumbnails has text overlay with the post title. Is there any way to simply have this overlay already on the thumbnail at the bottom?

An example of what I'd like can be found on the front page of espn.com. Note the thumbnails in the feature slider with text on the bottom. 

If this is too difficult or confusing to accomplish with css, can someone recommend a slider plugin that will do this? I'd like one where you can adjust settings within the post like the one currently used by pagelines.

Again, I'm sorry to be so confusing. 

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Hi,

The example of espn.com isn't really a good one for a slider as the thumbs there actually activate a video, rather than transition a slide action.  As far as I can see, their slider doesn't actually slide, but is a manual video selection.

You could use this Section -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

in connection with the slider, but it would require customization to make the connection.

We do have multiple slider options available in

. There are also many available at WordPress.org (free) and CodeCanyon.net (premium).

The addition of an overlay for the slider thumbs is, essentially possible, but would require much more than just the application of some CSS.  You'd have to include some code in a modified section.  It would take a developer's skills to accomplish this properly -- a developer fully familiar with PageLines. I'd recommend one of

help with this.

I'm sorry I couldn't provide you with a simpler solution, though I hope this guidance helps.

#3 historybanter

historybanter

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

Thanks. I've been trying to just cut and paste some combination of the script from the main slider image to each of the thumbnail images to get the title and black background to display on the thumbs as well, but as you mention, the solution isn't that simple. At least I feel better that people who know what they're doing can't get it done. I don't feel as stupid.

Can anyone recommend a slider that would have the feature image and large thumbs with text? I've tried multiple sliders, but none have this option. Many also require you to input pictures, text, and links and can't automatically incorporate what you've put in the most recent posts. I'm hoping to be posting four items a day, so I would like something that automatically incorporates featured images and titles to save time. 

The ESPN.com slider would be the model. You're right that it's currently a box with video links, but it's usually a slider that switches between content. Today it happens to have all video, but in the past it's been an image slider or a mix of image and videos. I suspect that they have an on staff guy whose only job is to update the slider.

I could use the Featured Picture Boxes plugin that you mentioned under a featured slider. The only issue with this is that I would then have to get rid of the slider nav bar and spend a lot of time fidgeting with margins, etc.... It would be great if there were a plugin to get around having to deal with this.

In summation, here's what I guess I'm asking now: since there's no possible CSS solution to adding titles to featured slider thumbnails, could someone point me in the direction of a good slider. I've spent the past two days trying free sliders with no luck. I can't afford to buy multiple pay plugins only to find that none of them do what I need (the screen shots on plugin pages never seem to show what the plugin actually does. They just have pics of the editor menu and most commonly used versions of the sliders).  So If anyone knows of a free slider that I may have missed, or a pay slider that will for sure do what I'm asking, please let me know.

(I realize that I sound like a demanding know-nothing. I haven't figured out forum etiquette yet. I honestly don't know how to ask for stuff without coming off like a jerk.)

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

The only thing in our Store that has large thumbs is Response Slider, but I don't think that quite fits your goal as it has no overlays for either thumb or slide.

I'm afraid you have to search for a slider, as I'm unable to do that. Given that you know your requirements best it makes sense that you find the best slider to meet your needs.

A gut feeling tells me that you really need a developer to create a custom solution.  If you can't afford that, it may be necessary to wait till someone develops what you really want.

#5 historybanter

historybanter

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

Thanks. I would have thought that the CSS or plugin slider used on the front page of ESPN.com and Yahoo.com would be easy to come by. I guess that's why those websites are so good. If anyone runs across something in the future, please let me know.   

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

Yes, those sites are premium because they custom develop their own unique elements.  Luckily, customizing another plugin can be just as good. Many of our clients have hired pros for short, specific projects most successfully.

I'm sure there's something close out there you can find to customize or ask its developer to help you customize it.

#7 historybanter

historybanter

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

Alright, I've used one of your suggestions and aligned a carousel in a widget under the feature slider. I got rid of the feature thumbnails, so the carousel with its image titles appeared to be a part of the same slider. I also lined up the carousel and feature slider time-wise, but under this arrangement, when someone clicks on the carousel links it automatically goes to the linked page. Of course, the featured slider does not change as it would if they were a part of the same slider. This obviously looked sloppy so I got rid of the carousel and returned to the carousel-less featured slider. Is there any way to link the carousel widget with the feature slider so that if someone clicks on the thumbnail in the carousel, it will change the featured slider?  

I've also looked into the other options we talked about. This may be my ignorance showing, but I couldn't find the overlay source element (I don't know where it tells the overlay to post f.title when you hover), so I couldn't fidget with that and simply remove the overlay element. After looking at Yahoo and ESPN's sliders, however, I realized that they are just putting title hooks in to their thumbs. So I duplicated the code for the bottom of the main slider image text background, color, etc.... adjusted it for the size of a thumbnail, made sure that I had f.title included, and posted it in the thumbnail code. Of course, nothing happened. So my question: am I on the right track or does the post title hook change depending on its location, so the same css won't work in the main featured image that would work in the thumbnail image? Am I completely of track in trying to duplicate the code from the main featured image into the thumbnails?

As far as hiring the pros, I may have logged into the wrong section of the website or used an old pagelines account before. I should be registered for the pagelines pro and have the pro monthly membership. If I'm in the wrong section, I apologize. 

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

Hi there,

The Pagelines Pros are a group of designers and coders who take on third party customisation projects, there's a list of them at www.pagelines.com/pros/ where you can contact them directly to discuss potential jobs offers.

The Plus membership, offers technical advice realating to the Framework and it's features, acces to Live chat with one of the moderators and the free Plus plugins created by Pagelines. Unfortunately it doesn't cover advanced customisation support. The moderating team will only be able to offer suggestions for workarounds or point you to the relevant resources which will help you learn to customise the feature/section manually etc,

You've mentioned you're using hooks. I'm not sure if you're actually referring to css or to Wordpress hooks, if you're using a proper hook inside the framework, make sure you're placing them into the functions.php of a child theme or the customize plugin. They won't work inside the css custom code area. You could also use the hooker plugin otherwise. To find out more on hooks check out -