Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Issue With "Fixed" Nav Bar On Mobile Devices

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi, 

I have been trying to fix this for a while now and have had no success. 

I have the fixed navigation bar activated on the site, however when you open up the site on a mobile for example on an iPhone and zoom in on the page, the "Fixed" nav is not fixed at all and ends up taking up 80% of the screen blocking the content. 

Here is my site: www.ijailbreakthis.com 

I have added no custom CSS to the fixed nav, so not sure what is going on. 

Please help, thanks in advance. 

Cheers, 
Matthew 

29 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Yeah I have it installed, but I can find what I need to know. To be honest I am not even sure what I am looking for. 

Posted · Report post

Thanks I found that, but what I am saying is that I am not sure what needs to be added to make the fixed nav stop doing this. We have figured out that it seems to be effecting the iPhone only, so it needs a .iphone css class adding but what needs adding before it? 

Posted · Report post

Honestly, I have no idea.  Do you use Firebug for Firefox or Chrome's Inspection Tool? Either of those should point you to the element that needs a solution.

Posted · Report post

Yes I have it and am using it, however still have no idea what CSS code is needed to prevent this. 

Posted · Report post

Getting to the point now where the fixed nav is becoming more hassel than it is worth. What is the reason that it is doing this, have others had the same issue? 

Posted · Report post

I haven't seen this issue come up before.  It could be a plugin conflict or a conflict with CSS (either custom or from a plugin).  It's very hard to tell.  I'd recommend deactivating your non-PageLines plugins, to see if the issue resolves.  Reactivate each, one at time, checking after each reactivation if the problem recurs. When it does, the last activated plugin is the problem.

Posted · Report post

I have deactivated all plugins and it is still an issue... grrr. 

Posted · Report post

I will alert our developers to see if they can identify the issue. Thanks for your patience.

Posted · Report post

No worries, if you could please keep me in the loop and let me know where we are and if you need me to do anything. If you try to write a comment on a post the fixed nav drops down to the comment field and wont go away! 

Posted · Report post

As soon as the developers have a chance to read through this thread, they'll either reply directly or answer me.  Either way, you'll be kept in the loop. Meanwhile, don't deactivate it, so they can see what it's doing.

Posted · Report post

Hi there, excellent. One problem solved then, one to go :-)

I've just tried again on the iphone, I can't manage to get it to stick in the comments box anymore, it's floating on top but not covering. If i zoom out whilst the the keyboard is still present it doesn't resize the salesbar until i click done and the keyboard hides. Then the salebar resizes to fit the screen.

The salebar is set so it's always at the top of the page, regardless of where you are on the page (zoomed in or out etc). Would you prefer it if it just stayed at the very top of the site and didn't scroll down as you zoomed in and out on the mobile? That might stop it interfering with the comments box.

Posted · Report post

Hi guys, could someone please fill me in with any developments? 

Posted · Report post

Hi James, yeah I think that would be a good idea to try. Could you please let me know what I need to do. 

Cheers. 

Posted · Report post

Evening, I've checked with Rob for you, he's not heard back from the developer team yet though.

Checking your site this evening the navbar seems to be stretching the full width of the site now on the iphone. http://screencast.com/t/nD9fMa7U

Even when zoomed in I'm seeing it stretch right out to the edges of the screen - http://screencast.com/t/FCRA9kPr

I can't see that div with the 'my-add-image' id anymore, did removing that resolve the layout?

Posted · Report post

Hi thanks for checking back in. 

I have removed the fixed nav and replaced it with SaleBar for now. However when you try to write a comment on one of the blog posts the fixednav/sale bar still drops off and gets stuck in the comments box... see image > http://www.screencast.com/t/gGP0ujP1wK

This also happens with the fixed nav. 

Removing the 'my-add-image-' has played no effect at all. 

Cheers. 

Posted · Report post

Hi there, try the following

.responsive .pl-salebar {
    position: fixed;
top:0;}

Posted · Report post

Thanks, not sure what that has done exactly. I still see that when you tap on the comments box to leave a comment it still drops off the top and stays there covering the comments section. 

Posted · Report post

Thanks, have we managed to get anywhere with this yet?

Posted · Report post

Hi there, ok I can see it happening in the comments box on the iphone. It's strange as I 
can't get it to replicate on mine. 

Try using the below css to see if this will force the width and edit the font size on the 
iphone to get it to fit all in one line full width. 

/* iPhone [portrait + landscape] */

@media only screen and (max-device-width: 480px)

{ .pl-salebar .sale-text {font-size: 9px;} }

/* iPhone [portrait + landscape] */

@media only screen and (max-device-width: 480px)

{ .pl-salebar {width:100% !important;} }

Let us know if that has any effect.

Posted · Report post

Hi thanks for this, I have added the above CSS and it seems to have improved the zoom issue a little however the problem with the comments is still happening. 

Fixed nav drops off and gets stuck there when you try to write a comment. 

Posted · Report post

Hi Matthew

The site seems to be set to responsive in the layout editor, the entire page is acting responsivly except for the div labelled 'my-add-image'. Has this been added as a hook? If so you'll need to make sure the media is added so it acts responsively (using a % width rather than a static px width) so it resizes with the screen. The navbar seems to be moving in line with the full width of the content, its the add above which is keeping the page at a larger size. 

Posted · Report post

Hi Matt

That should keep the bar at the top of the mobile screen, stop if from dropping into the content. I just checked your page it seemed to have worked but you have a cache on your page so you might not have seen the results instantly - http://screencast.com/t/gQrxK4hKzmZU

Do you see the same as in the screenshot? The other two codes below you can try in place of previous code to see if the results are any better, one will make the bar static the other should hide it completely on the mobile.

.responsive .pl-salebar { position: relative;}

Or

.responsive .pl-salebar {display:none;}

Posted · Report post

Sorry, that just confused me... could you explain to me again what I need to do? 

Posted · Report post

I have added :

.top_ad{
width: 100%;
}

But the fixed nav is still not working right.