• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sgendry

sgendry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

I understand that the Base child theme is for developers to create new child themes, and that you recommend non-developers to use the Pagelines Customize Plug-in.

I am a non-developer, and I have the customize plug-in.

My current challenge is that I want the PostNav to only show posts that are within the same category, and for that I need to edit section.php inside the postnav section folder of pagelines.

Since I don't want to loose my edits with each of your next updates, I figured that installing the base child theme and copying my modified section.php file there was the best thing to do.

This is working, but creating another problem: the base child theme is now messing up my header by showing a brandnav menu with a link to all my pages (not posts).

How/where can I tweak this configuration? The base child theme should not impact / interfere at all with the header and navigation menu of the main theme.

Thank you.

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

Hi,

First, in the Base Theme, did you create a folder named Sections? Then copy the PostNav section there and edit the section.php in that location?

Second, if you go to Dashboard > Appearance > Menus, under Theme Locations you'll see BrandNav listed. There's a drop down list. Is your normal saved menu listed there?  Make sure you have your normal saved menu added to the Theme Location for BrandNav or you'll get a default menu.

Third, on the right side of that, do you see Automatically add new top-level pages checked?  If so, uncheck it. Save the menu.

#3 sgendry

sgendry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Yes.

That did it. It is now all fixed.

Thank you!

#4 sgendry

sgendry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

One more question though on the topic of Base child theme vs Pagelines Customize Plug-in.

Is the plugin redundant if I now use the base child theme?

If so, where would I copy its functions.php in the base child theme?

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

Not really.  I prefer using the Customize plugin for things like hooks (changes to functions.php), because it's global. In other words, if I want to make a permanent hook, I'd add it there. Then, no matter which child theme I use, the hook or function will remain normal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: base child theme, header, brandnav