Photo
- - - - -

Change Category Posts Visualisation

category posts archives

Best Answer Rob , 21 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

Hi, remember, you can add links in the sidebar by creating a unique menu and applying it using the Custom Menu option in Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets.

This is added work, but it will do the trick.

Unfortunately, SRP (a plugin I use and like very much) doesn't replace the post loop, and won't automatically paginate. Since it doesn't, using static pages is the best way, and on those pages, using a custom menu linking not to the archive, but to the pages would work best.

You can actually automate part of it by letting WP add new pages within the category to the menu automatically. Those will be static pages, not archives.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hugo2808

hugo2808

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

Hi!

I use a plugin called Special Recent Posts to display my posts.

I created static pages and I display the posts with a shortcode [srp ... "category=7" ...] to have the result:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I have an archive menu by month for the category and when I click on one of the months I get all posts for the chosen month but with the default layout, and not the one I have with srp shortcode:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

How can I alter this, having the posts list selected from archive widget link with srp layout?

Thanks

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

Hi Hugo,

You're viewing a static page (where you have Special Recent Posts), but also viewing a category page, where you do not have Special Recent Posts.

To make a category page with SRP, you need to create one as a static page, and include the shortcode there.

Another way might be to use the Content Box (download, free, from the Store), placed in the Content Area for the Category template and place the shortcode for SRP in there. I suspect though, that then you'd have both the postloop and SRP.

#3 hugo2808

hugo2808

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hi Rob,
Thanks for reply!
My problem is when I click in a month link from the archive widget I go straigth to default category page, it shows me all posts from the clicked month.

I would like to show this posts with SRP to seem like all site, and not have this category page different.

Thanks

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:06 PM   Best Answer

Hi, remember, you can add links in the sidebar by creating a unique menu and applying it using the Custom Menu option in Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets.

This is added work, but it will do the trick.

Unfortunately, SRP (a plugin I use and like very much) doesn't replace the post loop, and won't automatically paginate. Since it doesn't, using static pages is the best way, and on those pages, using a custom menu linking not to the archive, but to the pages would work best.

You can actually automate part of it by letting WP add new pages within the category to the menu automatically. Those will be static pages, not archives.

• hugo2808 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: category, posts, archives