jeremyh78

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:41 AM

Website is 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Pagelines ver. 2.4.2

WP ver. 3.5.1

It's my friend's site and he updated to the latest version of PL yesterday.  After he did the features are now displayed all the way down the page rather than exchanging in the slider.  I've deactivated all of the plugins and it still looks the same.

I can't figure out what might be causing this.

Image attached.

Attached Files

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

Hi,

Please look over the slides, making sure the images are in the background, not the media area.

Add this code anywhere after body {} in Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > Custom Code:

Let us know if this resolves the issue.

#3 jeremyh78

jeremyh78

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

Finally figured out what it was.  There was a Twitter widget from Jetpack that was outdated and when the update occurred it was crashing several different aspects of the site.  I removed that widget from the sidebar and replaced it with the Twitter Timeline Jetpack widget and everything came back working perfectly!

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

Glad you found it. An outdated plugin can do so much damage.

#5 jeremyh78

jeremyh78

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

Actually I spoke too soon.  It's back to not working again.  I'm at a loss for why it will work for a little bit and then it won't work again.

#6 jeremyh78

jeremyh78

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

And now it's working again.  I don't get it.  I disabled all plugins again.  Forced refresh. Still didn't work.  Re-enabled the ones needed.  Refreshed, still didn't work.  Waited a few minutes.  Refreshed again and now it's working.

#7 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

It could be that whatever's conflicting in the plugins is taking a while to catch up. Viewing your site now it all seems to be working fine.

Do you have any cache plugins installed or any caching through a cdn or your host? This could be masking results or changes whilst you're refreshing the page.

#8 acuitas

acuitas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

I am having the same issue as jeremyh78. I upgraded and the feature slider spilled down the page. I turned off all possible conflicting plugins (I don't have many) I carefully examined every character of CSS. I double checked all the settings. I checked to see that the features were entered consistently. I've run out of ideas. I've built many websites with Pagelines and it worked fine before the upgrade. I don't claim to be any expert, but this shouldn't be happening. For now, I have that CSS snippet from above inserted because my client is angry and it freezes the slider for now with one image, so you can't see the problem, but its still there. Someone have any real ideas please?!!

If it helps see the website, its' at

#9 acuitas

acuitas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

Whoah......I may have found it!!!  Just one of the "Features Design Style" choices was different from the rest. The client had done it. I made that consistent and it now seems to work. I hope it stays that way. If it doesn't I'll be back. I hope this helps someone else.

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Changing the feature design style fixed the problem? That's interesting.. you should be able to have independant designs on each slide. If you change it back does it break again?

#11 acuitas

acuitas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

I  know....it doesn't make sense to me either. But it suddenly was working. I wish I had a better answer. I'm a little concerned it may return. It appears to be an intermittent bug because it was working last night for me on two computers, but not for my client. Then this morning, it broke for both of us. Now......???? I don't dare touch it at the moment. Like I said, I might be back. Let's hope not.

#12 jeremyh78

jeremyh78

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

I tried making all 4 of the features the same design and that didn't help. 

Acuitas, did you notice any issues with your drop-down navigation?  I just clicked on your link above and see the images are cascading down the page again.

This has definitely be intermittent.  The site has been acting really weird for about 5-6 days.  

Another thing that I've seen is that the WP admin bar doesn't show across the top while signed in and viewing the site when this is happening.  It shows in the Dashboard though.  When I click on one of the drop-down nav links, it makes the page-canvas container jump up the page.

Also, no caching plugins installed.  The only CDN would be Blubrry for the podcast but I don't know if there's any caching going on there.  It all worked fine before the update.

• clord likes this

#13 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:00 PM

I've tried replicating this on my test site but no joy. I'll notify the core team and keep playing around to see if I can get the same results.

Be good if you could both enable debug in Pagelines>site options>advanced so we can see if you're using any of the same plugins or if anything else shows up in there we can cross reference.

@

check the wp admin bar hasn't been disabled in your wp profile in the users area.

#14 acuitas

acuitas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

Argh....its back. I enabled debug. Thanks JB. I'll be watching the forum. 

#15 acuitas

acuitas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

JB.....I figured it out again. Select Feature Post Source (Optional - Defaults to Custom Post Type)

—SELECT—Feature Posts (custom post type)Use Post CategoryUse all Posts

Is NOT OPTIONAL!!!

#16 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

Hi, yes I've just seen it happen on your page.

I will check this with our developer team and post back, there was an error showing in the js for the navbar which could well be effecting the js for the slider. Both the features and the nav were tweaked in the latest update as far as I'm aware. I will double check and come back to you as soon as I have an answer.

#17 acuitas

acuitas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Yeah.....its back this morning. Sigh....thank you for looking into it. Let me know if you need anything from me. I'll be back in a few hours.

#18 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

Hello all,

When you make sure all options are selected for the slider, and nothing is left as - SELECT - in drop down fields (except at the bottom of the Features settings) does the issue continue?

Does everyone affected use JetPack? Does the issue disappear when Jetpack and all related plugins are deactivated?

#19 acuitas

acuitas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Hi folks.....I don't have Jetpack. I don't believe the plugins I use are related to the problem. I was using Post Types Order, but removed it. My client removed her slides in panic. I put a second one back. It was working for a minute. Then I added a third and it broke again. Now I am back to only two and the CSS snip that Bob gave us for hiding the spill over. I chose to have NO text, so I didn't choose a style of text...no point in that. I tried a different transition. No help. More later. I'm still experimenting. Still broken.

#20 acuitas

acuitas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

Do you suppose it would affect it if the image is particularly over some height limit, might it cough a little when auto-cropping the image?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: features