Pagelines and Buddypress May 2013

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dainiswmichel

dainiswmichel

• Members

• 189 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:01 AM

At Martin Davies' request, I am starting a new topic.

I am trying to get BuddyPress to display in an acceptable manner while using PageLines

From James B

at the moment as we stand both the template pack and the integration plugin are required to make it work correctly.

This is likely the "template pack"

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Had to google to find "the integration plugin," and here's the best I could find:

i googled 

site:

buddypress

and found this in the store: 

maybe that is what is meant by "the integration plugin?"

And this is as far as I got:

ok here are some tries using the recommended plugins. 

your suggestions are welcome...

is it: just forget about it and use twenty twelve?

really should i even bother to try to get PL and BuddyPress to play friendly with one another?

So, the situation is that with twenty twelve, the BuddyPress features appear styled usably. There are no "funky styles" floating around - on the "Activity" page the text submission field looks good -- the submit buttons work and are in reasonable places -- everything appears to work "just fine."

Once PL is active -- all that changes. Basically -- the BuddyPress features become unusable. To fix, I guess one could switch back and forth between twenty twelve and PL to figure out what happened. 

• Maybe there is a way to just use the Twenty Twelve styles for the BuddyPress functionality within Pagelines? 
  • Can I just go and copy a stylesheet and paste it somewhere?
  • Or maybe even just point the BuddyPress styles to the "twenty twelve" stylesheet (or whatever resulting stylesheet BuddyPress uses when one has the Twenty Twelve theme active?)

Basically -- yes, i would love to use PageLines on this BuddyPress site -- but i also don't want to invest significant hours making it possible (either by needing to hire or do the work myself). 

• Do we need to just "forget about" using PL and BP?
  • What's the "easiest solution?"

Sincerely,

dainis w michel

Related Topics

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16982 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:45 AM

Hi,

Can you provide screenshots of the issues you're having please.

#3 dainiswmichel

dainiswmichel

• Members

• 189 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

the screencast above is a video -- it shows all the configuration options i've tried so far. 

i would have to take prolly over half an hour to isolate each screenshot -- and the video is 4:10. 

would you mind watching the 4:10 vid instead of asking me to post and categorize the settings and the resulting look?

best,

dainis

#4 dainiswmichel

dainiswmichel

• Members

• 189 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

a quick workaround for folks who might get stuck trying to "go back" from PL to Twenty Twelve w BuddyPress activated:

(just a helpful note)

#5 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16982 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

So basically, you prefer the styling of the Twenty Thirteen BuddyPress activity stream and would like the PageLines style to be similar ?

#6 dainiswmichel

dainiswmichel

• Members

• 189 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

not exactly -- the PL styling isn't functional. it messes up the activity stream and probably other BP pages. 

so - if PL BP styling were: a) functional and B) just as nice or nicer, then i would use PL. 

so there are two routes i see right now:

1) forget about getting PL and BP to work together and just use Twenty Twelve. (that's what I'm doing right now cuz i want to release a functional website and the site has been down for long enough that members may drift away). 

2) do what it takes to have PL work with BP. But for that, i'll need help from the PL crew. 

If PL has a quick solution for copying the appropriate BP styles from Twenty Twelve and using them within PL -- OK great. 

If PL has a quick solution where BP page styles display in a functional and visually appealing way -- also cool.

#7 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

Hi Dainis

I'll pass your comments on to the developers of the integration, as that's what is currently styling Buddypress so it looks as it is within the Framework. As of the last buddypress update things changed quite a lot (they made it so it would style any standard theme, unfortunately this isn't the case in the Framework), what you're seeing with the pl integration is the classic buddypress style, as time goes on this will be improved as buddypress adapts/changes its styling, we'll then catch up on a following update and incorporate the new features etc.

For the moment to remove that strange scroll bar you're seeing add the following code

With all the template pack and integration plugin active as well as buddy press, here's an example of the layout I get in buddypress

#8 dainiswmichel

dainiswmichel

• Members

• 189 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

right, and if you look at your member page vs. mine using the Twenty Twelve Theme

you see that the Twenty Twelve Theme presents BuddyPress functionality in a much cleaner, more user-friendly manner. take a look at "Show Everything," i mean it's broken in PL. 

it just looks like if you want to force PL and BuddyPress to work together - you have to test every little thing and likely at some point in the future, you'd still find styles that just make BP appear incorrectly. 

taste is taste, style is style, i understand that  -- but what appears as a functional drop down in Twenty Twelve winds up a gangly "line-break" kind of situation in PL. 

see what i mean?

a solution could be just to "reach in " and use Twenty Twelve styles for BP even while in PL. 

otherwise -- we'll be digging and digging right?

let me know where i'm off base, what i'd have to do to have PL work w BP, but right now -- i pretty much completed the site with Twenty Twelve cuz of this issue. 

#9 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

Hi Dainis,

PageLines and Buddypress work perfectly fine together with the proper installation as laid out in the Docs. For example, there's a complete page on the installation and use of the 'integration' found here: 

The purpose of the integration is to allow the styling established for your site to 'integrate' with Buddypress, effectively allowing for a seamless look to your site.  Without it, your Buddypress installation would have often conflicting CSS and look possibly quite different from your overall design.

We've accommodated everyone's needs by creating the integration to work with Base Theme (which you're not using), BP Template Pack, BuddyPress and PageLines, ensuring that sites work properly together.

I suspect that BuddyPress and your site can be made to look correct together by proper installation of the child (base) theme and the integration.

On my own site, I've had BuddyPress and bbPress installed, together, with no difficulty.  So I'm lost as to the point of the thread. Others, properly installing everything are not having any difficulties.

#10 tperkins

tperkins

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:53 AM

I am having the following issue with Buddypress within Pagelines - I am using Buddydocs and it all works great until i use the front end to edit a page. I then get the same buddydocs page twice within the post Any loop. Pagelines creates a template BP docs. same page just repeats within the template. any ideas?

#11 dainiswmichel

dainiswmichel

• Members

• 189 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:47 AM

So I'm lost as to the point of the thread.

One of the points is to consolidate the vocabulary and come up with a procedure that can be followed. We come across required items like "the integration plugin," and "the template pack" and now you mention "Base Theme." 

So, that can be boiled down to:

• what do i need? (correct names)
  • where is it? (links)
  • what do i do with these things? (procedures)

A follow up would be: 

• what's it gonna look like if i do all that stuff?

So, Rob, it would be cool, for example, if you could show what your activity stream looks like, because, at least to me, it's clear that the BuddyPress activity stream is more functionally styled in TwentyTwelve than it is in PageLines. If I'm missing a setting somewhere, please let me know.

And then another part of the thread is: 

• Is it worth it?

tperkins, your comment supports the validity of the question...

So, then, if I spend x amount of time getting PL to work with BP, doing all the stuff researched and uncovered above (and documented via this thread so people who follow have an easier time), will I just be making things difficult for myself down the road? So, basically, BP devs likely make sure BP works with "some" theme -- BP default being one of them -- and maybe they check TwentyTwelve cuz it comes with WP and BP looks quite good in TwentyTwelve -- so for me, if I want to have a functional community that works, and that is my priority, and I don't want to spend time on using FireBug to find aberrant styles and figuring out what to !important and resolving plugin conflicts and posting on forums and going through the whole finger-pointing process where even devs get insulted, why not just pick a theme that is certain to work?

But now BP says it's theme independent. OK what does that mean...?

And right now, the styling of BP's activity stream in PL seems too "broken" for me to use the PL BP combo. Seems to look and work much better in TwentyTwelve which also looks to be a more stable solution. 

Again, I am happy to be wrong, especially if you can fill me in on where I'm off course. 

thnx,

dainis

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Dainis,

All the documentation you needed to install Buddypress properly has been here:

I can see from the video you first made that you were not actually following the guidance in our documentation, as you did not have the Base Theme installed on your site.

I have BuddyPress (along with bbPress installed on my site and it looks just fine, with all the upgrades.

In terms of the text field for adding to the Activity stream, in the bottom, right corner, you'll see a series of dots or lines on an angle. If you wish, in any theme, or in any mode of any kind, you can grab that corner with a cursor and drag it to the height you desire.

While the upgrades to BuddyPress 1.7 may have caused some disruption, particularly for those with Jetpack installed,  we are endeavoring to resolve the issues.  Since we don't get any advance warning about the changes being made to BuddyPress, it's  always a game of catch-up and our developers are rather busy at present.  I apologize if this isn't as fast as everyone expects, but things do get fixed in the fullness of time.

All the issues you're noticing can be adjusted with minor CSS changes. Again, I'm sorry this is causing you any problems. I urge you however, to follow the specific guidance, which hasn't been done here or in other cases where people have mentioned BuddyPress issues, as found in our documentation.