Photo
- - - - -

Using the grid and extra content blocks

Best Answer Danny , 13 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

I think the best course of action would probably be build your own custom section that offers nothing but a text area that utilises the WYSIWYG or contact one of our Pros for assistance if you're unsure how to create section.

You can use this to add the editor to your section - http://codex.wordpre...rence/wp_editor

http://www.pagelines.com/pros/

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kneops

kneops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNetherlands
  • Framework Version:2.4.1

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

Before using Pagelines I sometimes created a template with two columns en let the user fill those columns by using the

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

. The regular content area of the post would go in one of those columns, the content of the secondary html content box in the other. Using the grid myself is easy, but not for a customer. How can I get the grid to work with multiple content blocks?

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17139 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

Hi,

The PageLines grid is supposed to be populated by adding content to the structure of the grid code between the div spans. If you want to create a column structure where your users only have to enter their content not worry about using HTML, you would probably be best using Boxes.

The grid isn't in my opinion complicated, you could show them how to use the grid, as it is a flexible system and allows for some awesome layouts.

#3 kneops

kneops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

Boxes are not so usefull in this case, because each post would has to have its own content in those boxes, like text in one box, image in another, details in a third. The best thing would be a visual implementation of the grid inside a post, just like the site layout works, but I guess that's a feature request and perhaps not so easy to make.

Let's say I still want to use the secondary html content box plugin, because that's a real addition to making WP a CMS and extremely easy to use, what options are there? I can't create custom template in which I can add the secondary html content template code. The only thing that I could do is using the Secondary HTML Content widget in a sidebar. That would split the content not inside a post, but in the post and sidebar content. Just thinking out loud here :)

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17139 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

If im honest, I don't actually know what you're trying to achieve, but it is not possible to have a visual representation of the grid out of the box. If you require this kind of functionality you will need to either create your section/plugin which offers this functionality or contact one of our Pros.

#5 kneops

kneops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

What I want to achieve is this:

A website with artists. On a page/post there is the main content/description of the artist. In another block one or more photos and in another block detailed info about pricing, availability etc. I was thinking of picture on the left, underneath the details and on the right the description. On the right of all this the sidebar.

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17139 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

If that is the layout you wish to have why can't you use the PageLines grid to create this layout ?

#7 kneops

kneops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

You mean like the way I proposed? Using the Secondary HTML Content widget to add the extra post content in the sidebar?

Yes, that's how I could do it, unless you have another suggestion and I still don't understand the PL grid.

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17139 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

Why can't you just use a text widget and Widget Logic plugin to control which widgets display on X pages ?

#9 kneops

kneops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

That's not very practical imho. When I have 200 artists I have 200 pages and therefore I should have to make 200 widgets?

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17139 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

The only other method I could suggest is that you add the ContentBox section to your Sidebar area in Drag & Drop. However, in order to use this method you will be unable to add a ContentBox to that template.

Then all you will need to do is add your content to the ContentBox for each page. This will way you won't need to create so many widgets.

#11 kneops

kneops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Yes, contenbox is possible, but it doesn't use the wysiwyg editor.. What would be great is a full integration of the Secondary HTML Content plugin into PL. That way the grid can make use of as many post/page content blocks as one would like. For now I will use that plugin and it's widget.

#12 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17139 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Not sure why you would want to use the WYSIWYG as it causes nothing but trouble when using HTML.

Whatever can be done on the WYSIWYG can be done in the ContentBox text field, you simply need to use HTML, where as the WYSIWYG does it for you.

#13 kneops

kneops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

I know, but a client doesn't know how to add an image to the contentbox or a blockquote. It's not for me, but for the client that I'm trying to find the best solution to add all kinds of content to content blocks.

#14 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17139 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:38 PM   Best Answer

I think the best course of action would probably be build your own custom section that offers nothing but a text area that utilises the WYSIWYG or contact one of our Pros for assistance if you're unsure how to create section.

You can use this to add the editor to your section -