Photo
- - - - -

Pagelines PostPins Section randomly deleted?

post pins section

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brightonkeller

brightonkeller

• Members

• 158 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

Every now and again, I'll notice that things change on the backend of my site when I didn't manually change them.

For instance, I noticed this morning that my post pins section just completely disappeared from my site. So I did the following:

1. I checked to see if the section was an option within the drag and drop area of the pagelines dashboard, and it wasn't.

2. then I went to the sections tab within pagelines dashboard (via wp dashboard) and noticed that it said the section wasn't installed.

3. When I clicked to install the section, though, it said that the section already existed within my site folder. 

4. This has happened before, so I already knew to check my FTP (I use filezilla) and look within the location that error message said the folder was located. Sure enough, the folder was there.

5. I deleted the folder

6. Then I downloaded the section

My problem is that I had edited the section because I wanted the capability filter by category and tag AND I actually changed the excerpt length from 25 to 0......so I don't want the "as is" version of the section. I knew that an update was bound to be released eventually, so I actually saved my custom code within a php file on my personal hardrive. When I replaced the current section.php file with the one I had saved, though, my /wp-admin (aka backend of my site) completely shut down. 

So this leads me to 2 questions:

1. Why did the section delete without me deleting it? 

2. how do incorporate the code I got from

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

(thanks to @simon)

other information:

my site: 

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hi Brighton,

When you went to Dashboard > PageLines > Store > Sections > Your Added Sections to check if the PostPins section was installed, what exactly did you see?    The Store's section 'install' button tries to download the section anew, presuming that you have not installed it previously.  This is why you're getting the conflict.  The solution is to FTP in, remove the original section, then reinstall from the Store.  Apologies for that confusion.

Also, you mentioned that you had customized the section.  Did you do that by copying the section to a child theme or PageLines Customize plugin?

Modified core files are often subject to updates, and the modifications can be lost in the process.  You could have experienced an update that killed a customized installation if it was in the wrong place.

The condition could be caused by several things, from updates to unauthorized users, hacking, plugin conflicts, a PHP conflict, just to name a few.  It's rather hard to be specific. 

As for Simon's customized code, I'm not sure how you implemented that earlier, but you'd have to repeat that.

#3 brightonkeller

brightonkeller

• Members

• 158 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

what would be the best and smartest way to implement simon's customized code? because I want my category pages to filter the pins by category and I can't figure out another way other than by using simon's code.

to answer your question, I saw other sections but not the postpins section But when I looked on my FTP site, it was still there.....i guess it just wasn't showing up in my drag and drop framework OR within the installed sections part of my pagelines dashboard. 

Should I create a child section for this? if so, how do i do that? I'm framiliar with the base theme (/templates-pagelines) and that I should create a new php section within the sections folder...right? but I'm scared i'll mess something up! 

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Brighton,

I just installed PostPins in my own site and it appears to include a category selector, allowing you to display posts from a select category only.  This is done via the PageLines Meta Settings. Have you seen this?   I think Simon updated the PostPins to include categories as part of the last update.

Before we start messing with customizations, if Simon's upgrade works, let's stick with the basics. No?

#5 brightonkeller

brightonkeller

• Members

• 158 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

yessss but I have more than one category. right?

So within the meta settings, you can choose a category with which to filter your posts, BUT there is only ONE "category" template. right? which means that I would only be able to do this for ONE of my categories. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

I'm trying to think through how I could possibly clone the post pins section and then have a different version (with a category filtered) be for each one of my categories. But I can't figure out the best way to do this....without making a mess of everything. I guess I could make separate pages for each category....clone the post pin section for each page....wait, would this work? see where I'm going?

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

Brighton, I think you've got that one backwards. :D

You put the section into a template.

You apply the template to a page.

You select a single category for that single page.

PostPins displays pins on that page for one category.

You create another page.  Repeat, using a different category.  Each page = 1 unique category.  But you can have as many pages as you want, and thus as many categories, just one per page.

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:35 PM   Best Answer

See these:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: post pins, section