Photo
- - - - -

Customizing the Wordpress Editor

tinymce customize editor

Best Answer Danny , 13 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

I was never able to recreate the issue with Ultimate TinyMCE. However, like Rob stated above, PageLines has no relationship to the Wordpress visual editor. If you wish to customise the editor and want to have recommendations, you should be asking this on the Wordpress support forums.

If you want my recommendation, disable the visual editor in your user profile. As soon as I have installed Wordpress, the very first thing I do is disable the visual editor.  In my opinion Ultimate TinyMCE and other similar plugins, just add unnecessary bloat to Wordpress.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rpacker

rpacker

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC
  • Framework Version:2.3.5

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

I would like to know if there are any suggestions for customizing the Wordpress editor in Pagelines. Does this require a plug-in, and if so, are there any recommendations and/or compatibility issues? I am considering Ultimate TinyMCE but am not sure about its integration with Pagelines.

Thanks!

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

Hi Randall,

That's actually a WordPress, not a PageLines issue.  The editor is not under PageLines, but is a WordPress function.  There may be conflicts with some editor plugins, but then there can be conflicts with any type of plugin.

The key is to read the forums, search them, and when selecting the plugin, make absolutely sure that it is compatible with the latest version of WP, and that it has no other users citing it as broken.  Check the plugin's own forum to see if people say it broke their sites or their theme, platform or framework. Make sure too that it is a well maintained plugin.  You really don't want a new plugin that is developed by a hobbyist who'll lose interest.  This is best identified by two things: 1. The number of versions and 2. the number of downloads.

Hope this helps!

#3 rpacker

rpacker

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Thanks Rob for your quick response. I understand the editor is a Wordpress function but I was looking for someone in the Pagelines community who has experience and knowledge to share regarding any modifications they have done to the editor. 

Randall

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

I was basing my reply upon a key part of your question:

I am considering Ultimate TinyMCE but am not sure about its integration with Pagelines.

To clarify, other than plugin compatibility issues, the plugin doesn't actually have integration with PageLines.  As such, I doubt you'll get many replies from people, as there's only integration with WordPress.

I'll leave the topic open, and if someone replies, hopefully they can answer your question.

#5 rpacker

rpacker

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

FYI: I posted this in part because of a thread discussing incompatibility issues between Ultimate TinyMCE and Pagelines:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

and wanted to get further clarification in case someone in the Pagelines community has actual experience using this or a similar plugin to extend the Wordpress editor.

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

A search of the forum yielded this:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#7 rpacker

rpacker

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

Thanks Rob for the thread, it didn't come up when I searched the forum.

Hopefully there are others in the forum who have found good solutions in Pagelines for extending the Wordpress editor and I would be very interested in hearing from them.

Thanks.

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16952 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:21 AM   Best Answer

I was never able to recreate the issue with Ultimate TinyMCE. However, like Rob stated above, PageLines has no relationship to the Wordpress visual editor. If you wish to customise the editor and want to have recommendations, you should be asking this on the Wordpress support forums.

If you want my recommendation, disable the visual editor in your user profile. As soon as I have installed Wordpress, the very first thing I do is disable the visual editor.  In my opinion Ultimate TinyMCE and other similar plugins, just add unnecessary bloat to Wordpress.

• rpacker likes this

#9 rpacker

rpacker

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

Thanks Danny for the advice. Much appreciated. Randall

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16952 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

No problem, happy to help.

If you wish to use the UTM plugin, you can do so, like I mentioned above, I never encountered any issues with the plugin.

• rpacker likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tinymce, customize, editor