bleuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationHampshire
  • Framework Version:Developer

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

Afternoon Forum

Wonder if someone might be able to point me in the right direction?

Firstly I am running a Multi Site version of Wordpress with 5 websites on it.  I am looking to change the home page of one of them so that it is split into 3 columns x 2 rows.  

Column 1- Row 1 - Feature (Linkable)

Column 2 - Row 1- Slider

Column 3 - Row 1- Feature (Linkable)

Column 1 - Row 2 - Post/Image (Linkable)

Column 2 - Row 2 - Map

Column 3 - Row 2 - Twitter Feed 

I have looked at the options of running Column 1 & 3 as Sidebars, but this is not affective for the rest of the website, so really only need this for the home page.  

I have 'Grid Shortcodes' installed (however as its running on a network so I can't edit it or anything) I have also looked at the following webpage

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

which is about as clear as mud to me.

A steer in the right direction would be very helpful.

Thanking you muchly

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hi,

You can manually add a grid using divs, as cited in the demo you linked, and then add content to the grid elements as desired.

PageLines Framework lets you establish sidebars on the left and right of your screen using the Layout Editor and PageLines Meta Settings (page-level controls).  This enables you to add widgets, which cannot be added to the grid.

It's a balancing decision you'll have to determine, about what you'll add to the left and right columns.  If you opt for real sidebars, you can always add some text widgets for things not found in standard widgets.

I'm not sure what you'd like to do.  I'll be back tomorrow for additional assistance or one of my colleagues may be in earlier to help.

#3 brightonkeller

brightonkeller

• Members

• 122 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

if i'm understanding you correctly, you should try using the pagelines grid via the spans incorporated within the theme! it's awesome and is responsive to different devices and browser windows too!

check it out at the pagelines demo site in the "tools" area!

ps: just saw that you said this was "as clear as mud" to you. well, just try it out and make a new post and then preview it. it's super easy to use. use the following....

but you will only be able to see what the columns look like if you "preview" it. you won't be able to see it within the "visual" (as opposed to text/html) editor! 

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13021 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

Hi,

Unfortunately, it is not possible "Out of the Box" to have sections split into columns. You may be able to achieve this layout using custom CSS. However, this goes beyond our level of support. Therefore, I recommend you contact one of our Pros for assistance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sectionscustomization, WPNetwork, grid shortcodes