#1 kneops

kneops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNetherlands
  • Framework Version:2.4.1

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

I've read the docs about adding a custom template, like page.homepage.php but I still have no idea how to add content to that template. I've looked inside the folders of the pagelines directory to find a example of the structure used by PL for building a single post template or a category template. Where are they?

For the rest I asume that whatever I place underneath setup_pagelines_template(); will be the part between the head and footer?

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15907 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Hi,

It is not possible to build a Post template or a Category template, as these pages are considered special by Wordpress. The custom page template is for creating a custom page template that can be used in PageLines > Drag and Drop, where you also have Template | Default, Template | 1, Template | 2,  Template | 3 etc...

To add content to your template such as sections etc... go to PageLines > Drag and Drop and select your custom template, which if created correctly, should now appear in the templates list.

Then you go to Wordpress > Pages, add/edit a page and then in the template drop down menu on the right hand side, select your template.

#3 kneops

kneops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

So adding a custom template is nothing more than adding numerous extra templates to be able to construct using the drag and drop section?

I thought is was an option to build a template completely by hand if that was needed.

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15907 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Why would you want to create a page template by hand ?

If however, you're referring to adding your own content then the best course of action would be to build your own sections.

#5 kneops

kneops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

Until now I've been building my WP sites 'by hand', so perhaps I'm still too much used to that ;) I will read a bit more about sections and hooks.

Anyway, what I said, was that correct?: 'So adding a custom template is nothing more than adding numerous extra templates to be able to construct using the drag and drop section?'

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15907 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Yes, if you create a custom page template, it is basically another template which you can use in drag and drop.