css breaks broken

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 designshop

designshop

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

My site continues to break randomly. If the page is refreshed it reloads fine. Since it only happens randomly, it is hard to figure out what the cause is. Does anyone else have this issue and know how to fix it? I've attached a screen shot.

www.sunconsciousness.com

I am running WP 3.5.1 and Pagelines 2.4

Attached Files

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

Hi there

Looking at the screenshot you've provided it could be down to a couple of reasons.

It could be that the peramlink structure needs to be re-saved if you've recently made adjustments. If you do make any changes like that and you have a cache plugin active on the site it could be serving you an older version of the page, make sure you dump the cache file inside the plugin and then retest to see if the changes in the css comes through.

Next time it happens if you could let us take a live look at the page, we'll be able to investigate further.

#3 designshop

designshop

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

I have not touched the permalinks so I don't think that's it. I will take your suggestion and wait for this to happen again and then repost this problem. Thank you.

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

Thanks, please keep us posted.

#5 designshop

designshop

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

I have narrowed down the problem to the site breaking in IE compatibility mode. It's fine in IE9, but my client is running IE8 in compatibity mode and the site will break from time to time. Any ideas on how to fix this? I only have 9 plug-ins, all on WP approved list and they are all up to date. My PageLines is up to date as is my WP. Could it be my custom CSS?

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

I suspect that one of your WP 'approved' plugins is out of date or deprecated.  This happens from time to time. As upgrades of WP come out, and the developer of a plugin doesn't keep up with it, then their code breaks, taking everything in site with it. 

Do a plugin inventory.  Go to Dashboard > Plugins > Installed Plugins in one browser window, and in another go to

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Check each plugin page on WordPress.org and make sure of several things:

1. It's compatible up to WP 3.5.1 or 3.6

2. Make sure no one's citing it as broken.

3. Check the plugin's forum to see if others are complaining about their site's breaking or other calamities.

When you find any plugins that are cited as broken or having problems mentioned in their forum, or are not compatible, go back to the Installed Plugins list and deactivate it.

Then, go to Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks and without changing anything, save the settings.

Next, find a suitable replacement for any deactivated plugins and make sure it meets the requirements of compatibility and not being cited as broken or breaking things.

This will help immensely.  I'd recommend to you (and your client) doing this each time WP updates, even with minor updates.

#7 designshop

designshop

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:23 AM

When I am on Internet Explorer 9, everything is fine, but if I press the compatibility icon, I lose the background of the site and the navigation bar, and on pages with a sidebar, the sidebar goes below the content.

I checked the plug-ins at WP to see if any were having issues, and also tried deactivating them. Nothing changed.

I also removed my custom CSS and that had no effect.

I feel like something must be wrong with the way I have my PageLines page layout settings. It's also strange that the nav bar dissappears. Help!

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:56 AM

Hi there, check to see if you have the google compatability script for IE enabled in pagelines>site options>advanced. Some people have resported different results with it on and off, so check either way to see if this helps affect the layout.

Please remember IE8 is a deprecated browser and is only partially supported by Pagelines, there's an ongoing thread about problems people have expereinced with IE8 that I'd advise you to read to understand the differences with IE8 as quiet a few of the developers have posted on there to explain in more depth -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#9 designshop

designshop

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:03 AM

The site is breaking in Chrome too so whatever the problem is is not confined to IE. I am not able to duplicate the break on my Mac or PC running Windows 7 in IE or Chrome so I will need to go to my clients computer and try to get it to break. If I do get it to break on her PC using Chrome, what do I need to do so I can get help fixing it? Will the code show what is going on? I can copy the code using Chrome.

I'm baffled by the fact that it only happens occasionally and on different pages. I do have WooCommerce installed. Are there any incompatibilities with WooCommerce that you know of?

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:23 AM

Hi again, are you using the woo commerce integration with Pagelines? There were some issues with Woo prior to this plugin but nothing that I recall knocking the css out.

If you manage to break it in the clients machine, take some screen shots for us of the admin, the front end of the site and the source code that you're seeing then the problem occurs. Make sure you look at the compiled css to see if there's an error message showing in there or if the css code is actually getting generated.

Make sure before you test that you dump the cache file inside your cache plugin and disable the cache plugin, so you're seeing the site live.

#11 designshop

designshop

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

I have not had a chance to get to my client's computer, but hope to do so next week. Please keep this thread going if you don't mind. Thanks for all the adivce so far.

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

Will do.

#13 designshop

designshop

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

It appears that the problem was with using the minify setting in W3TC. The site is not breaking on my clients Windows XP, IE8 browser anymore. I haven't had this problem before on other WP sites with W3TC. Thanks for your help.

#14 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

Thank you for updating us, I'll update the core team on the information you've provided.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: css, breaks, broken