14 replies to this topic

#1 attento

attento

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Hi,

Thank you to everyone who moderates and contributes to this forum! I am grateful for the support!

I have an issue with the Twitter Bar at the bottom of my home page:

http://creationmeditation.com/

When I add my Twitter user (CreationMed) in Pagelines settings, it says "fatal error" at the bottom of the page and not sure if only I can see that because I'm logged in or if everyone can see it.  When I take it out, there is a bar that says: "Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section."  Again, not sure if only me or if all eyes can see this.

My preference is to leave the Twitter Bar off entirely and not have anyone see anything.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you!
Adriana

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Hi there.

Sometimes users might get an error on the twitter bar depending on the setup, I have copied the following from the docs and the relevant link which will assist you in resolving this.

"Some users may experience “Unknown Twitter Error”, this is not related to PageLines but your server configuration. There are two reasons, why this error would appear, 1. Your server is configured to not allow outgoing http requests ( outgoing port 80 ). 2. Twitter are blocking incoming requests from your servers IP. Read this post for more information."

The link to the post mentioned in the docs that relates to the error can be found at - https://dev.twitter....iscussions/1436

#3 attento

attento

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

Thanks James!

If I wanted to remove the Twitter bar altogether, how would I do that?

It indicates in Pageline settings to leave the Twitter field blank.

However, when I do that, I get the message at the bottom of my homepage to insert my Twitter account name - do you know if this is seen everyone?

Thanks,

Adriana

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

Hi, if you want to remove the twitter bar you can do so in the drag and drop page. The twitter bar will appear usually in the 'morefoot' section on the template. Just drag it into the right hand list to remove it.

If you don't enter your twitter details in the meta section, then it will show the message to set your details on the live site whether you're logged in or not. So clients will see the message stating that you need to complete your twitter profile in order to get the twitter bar to work correctly.

#5 attento

attento

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

James, I see what you mean.

I went to the drag&drop section and the Twitter Bar was not in the active section.

I added it to see what would happen. And my home page looked the same.

I removed it back into the disabled section and it still looked the same.

Is there another setting that administers this twitter bar?

thanks,

Adriana

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Hi Adriana

The twitter bar meta is set in the site options>website setup area by entering your details but its only activated on the template in the drag and drop. Looking in your source code you have a cache plugin active on the site, which will serve a previous version of your site to make it load quicker. This can mask any recent changes you make on the site, they'll not show until later all the while the cache is active. You can dump the cache file inside the plugin and then deactivate the plugin to see the most recent changes.

#7 attento

attento

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

James, thanks for all your help.

Do you mean to deactive the cache plugin?

I emptied the cache and deactivated the plugin and the twitter bar is still there.

Not sure if I misunderstood your directions.....

Thanks!

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:34 PM

You're welcome.

Yes once the cache file inside the plugin is cleared and it's been deactivated, then go back into the morefoot section in the drag and drop and remove the twitterbar section by placing it in the right hand column and saving.

#9 attento

attento

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

James, if you take a look now. What I did was added the twitter bar underneath the footer.

I did this to show that the twitter bar with the message might be administered by something else.

You can see that now on my site that there are two bars. One with the message: Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.

And the other - the one that I just placed there with Drag and Drop is empty.

Prior to your last message, I emptied the cache and deactivated the plugin.

What else might be leaving that first twitter bar there?

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

Can you take a screenshot of what you're seeing, i can only see the twitter bar once on the page. Try clearing the browser cache now you've cleared the plugin. 

This is what i can currently see - http://screencast.com/t/BspYhilVCJF3

#11 flipstar

flipstar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:51 PM   Best Answer

maybe you just want to add?

.section-twitterbar .tbubble-pad {display:none;}

cheers

flipstar

#12 attento

attento

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:34 AM

That worked!!

Thanks so much!

#13 triemstr

triemstr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

I'm having the same issue. I changed the code to print out the "Unknown Twitter Error" that is occurring and I get an error of 410.

An online search says the request is likely using the API 1.0 which is no longer valid and needs to be using API 1.1, so is this something the developers can change?

Thanks.

Kevin

#14 triemstr

triemstr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

Also, it's important to note that the ideas above do not work well since there is no "morefoot" section in the basic version. The basic version requires the twitter toolbar. If you don't have your twitter username filled out and you leave the field blank, the code does not remove the twitter bar as it says it will do on the settings page.

So you are always stuck with the "Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section."

Then when you put your twitter name in there, you have the Unknown Error.

No way around it other than to use the css trick above or manually comment out the div tag for the twitter bubble in the admin editor.

So really there are two fixes:

1) Upgrade to API 1.1 for the 410 error. This is the most important primary fix.

2) Add the morefoot section to the theme template so users can remove it AND change the instructions for the global settings that "If you leave the twitter username blank, you will have a section telling you to fill it out displayed publicly on your site." That way at least the instructions will be accurate.

#15 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

Twitter changed its rules, and its APIs making the PageLines Twitterbar fail everywhere, delivering that message. It requires a full rework of the system we use to make it work again.  However, they have made Twitter available through easy to apply code that works brilliantly via https://dev.twitter.com/

I've used Twitter's Embedded Timelines without any problem in Framework, using a simple text widget in a sidebar.  No coding needed. Just copy, paste and save.