• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 brighteyes

brighteyes

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

Good Day,

You were quick to help me with a prior question and couldn't find this next question in the forum search so thought I would ask for help since I'm a new Paglines Framework customer and amatuer with Wordpress. 

I'm now using the Formidable Forms plugin and when I apply the plugin to the site with Pagelines activated, I get a large white space underlying the submit button.  I don't get this if Pagelines is deactivated.  With my WhiteHouse Pro, I was able to remove the .button CSS code in the wp_core.css file which worked.

Using Google Chrome Dev Tools (I'm new to this tool as well), I believe I found the source of the CSS code that needs to be commented out.  see attached.  I just can't seem to find the actual file to make the change at.  Are you familiar with this compatibility issue between Formidable and Pagelines Framework?  Which file and where can I make changes in Pagelines Framework to the main CSS?   Appears style.css isn't accessible on the server (FTP) or through Editor; though I'm not sure if this style.css is where the code is...?

Thank you!

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

Hi there,

If you're using the Pagelines Framework all css changes can be made in Pagelines>site options>custom code. Any code placed in there will override the default options. We don't advise editing any core files within the framework as the changes will be overwritten on update.

You can see the different customization options for the Framework here -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I've not heard of any issues relating to that form plugin with the framework. It could be there's additional padding/margins under the submit button that need to be removed to reduce the white space.

#3 brighteyes

brighteyes

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

Thanks James for helping with this!  I'm still struggling.  I've looked at the custom code area at Pagelines>site options>custom code and then also checked out the customization plugin as well.  One side note I noticed in the custom code area is that I needed to Save twice before the changes took place.

Again, the field started existing when Pagelines was activated but appeared normal prior.  I may be wrong but I believe this code here below in the CSS is what needs to be changed to remove the underlying field with the Submit button.  This is similar to what I removed in wp_core.css with Whitehouse Pro which worked. 

If this area is to overwrite code only, how would I simply delete code instead.  I was thinking of maybe trying to comment out the area related to background but it appears to revert any color changes back to default css.  I also tried or think I attempted correctly to add Opacity code to see if that would simply make it transparent. (I'll leave it in the code shown below) No luck if I did it right.  I'm quite novice with coding.  :-)

Any thoughts on how to customize to remove the area?   Thanks!!

input[type="submit"]:hover,
.submit:hover,
input[type="button"]:hover,
.button:hover,
input[type="reset"]:hover,
.reset:hover {
  opacity:0.9;
  color: #000000;
  text-decoration: none;
  text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(255,255,255,0.5);
  border: 1px solid #aeaeae;
  background-color: #e5e5e5;
  background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(top,#f3f3f3,#cfcfcf);
  background-image: -ms-linear-gradient(top,#f3f3f3,#cfcfcf);
  background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear,0 0,0 100%,from(#f3f3f3),to(#cfcfcf));
  background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient(top,#f3f3f3,#cfcfcf);
  background-image: -o-linear-gradient(top,#f3f3f3,#cfcfcf);
  background-image: linear-gradient(top,#f3f3f3,#cfcfcf);
  background-repeat: repeat-x;
  filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr='#f3f3f3', endColorstr='#cfcfcf', GradientType=0);
}
input[type="submit"]:active,
.submit:active,
input[type="button"]:active,
.button:active,
input[type="reset"]:active,
.reset:active {
  opacity:0.9;
  color: #000000;
  text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(255,255,255,0.5);
  border: 1px solid #8e8e8e;
  background-color: #bdbdbd;
  background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(top,#afafaf,#d3d3d3);
  background-image: -ms-linear-gradient(top,#afafaf,#d3d3d3);
  background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear,0 0,0 100%,from(#afafaf),to(#d3d3d3));
  background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient(top,#afafaf,#d3d3d3);
  background-image: -o-linear-gradient(top,#afafaf,#d3d3d3);
  background-image: linear-gradient(top,#afafaf,#d3d3d3);
  background-repeat: repeat-x;
  filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr='#afafaf', endColorstr='#d3d3d3', GradientType=0);
  box-shadow: none;
}

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

Pagelines will have its own padding/margins for each section which are set inside the core code, this will differ from other themes or the standard 2012 theme.

Looking into your currentl page, that one area has 5-6 areas of padding which will need to be removed to get this type of result -

I'd advise looking into classes like, article, p, respond, hentry, comments, post and postloop as there's various padding and margins insterted within each which will allow to two sections to be brought closer together.

#5 brighteyes

brighteyes

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

Hello again, the screen shot you linked to is what I currently have.  I'm trying to rid that area around the submit button.

I've spent lots of time going through the core css code through Chrome Dev tools as well as learned a few things from W3 because of this but still can't seem to get to the bottom of the source and make the needed change.  I tried putting the form in different page areas too.

You mentioned deleting some padding/margin areas... what steps do I take to delete these?

After playing with the code I provided earlier in the thread, I'm having doubts that would be the source of the issue.  With it being Active or Hover, no matter what is changed, the 'field' is still there with default color that appears to be #e5e5e5.  I then searched other areas with "button" , "submit" and "e5e5e5" but nothing seems to impact the default field.  Where is the code that places that default field in the submit spot?  Perhaps this is where I need to focus on making it Hidden.

you can see that it appears to be two buttons when clicking on the difference areas which reflect the gradient color changes.  I just need the smaller submit button to appear, not the larger space/button.

Thanks again for your time with this!!!

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:56 AM

Hi there,

I've recorded a short screencast for you to see the code.

The yellow areas in the screen preview are the margins, they're attached to the <p> tag so you can remove them with css. I'm not sure how formidable forms is inserted, whether its a shortcode etc, but the reason you're getting two buttons is because <p> that the submit button inside is also given the class .submit. So they're both being colored with the gradient and having the effects applied. If you're able to edit the class for the <p> tag you'll just end up with the small button.

If not, you're going to need to play with the css for the .submit class and .button class separately to see if you can get it to work that way. That's going to be difficult to do in firebug as the code is grouped together for the three. The easiest way would be to paste it into the css editor and then begin to take out each class to see which removes the bigger button without affecting the smaller one.

#7 brighteyes

brighteyes

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Thank you for the great demo!   Formidable is shortcode based but does have some areas for direct html customization; however, there is not direct html customization for the submit area.  It only has dynamic options for submit settings like, padding, margins, color, etc. 

I have reached out to them with your remarks on the conflicted submit class and they have now informed me that they are coming out with a beta this week that will allow html customization for the submit.  I'll check daily and provide an update.  Probably worth waiting for it before trying to attempt the other possible options with submit/button css.

P.S.  Meanwhile, I'm going to try out that Jing screencast program you used.  Thanks!

(topic on hold for Formidable beta release within week)

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

Excellent, that's great news, keep us posted on how you get one, we'll leave this post open for you.

#9 brighteyes

brighteyes

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

Good Day James!  I was able to install the Formidable beta update "formidable-1.07.0b1" and it resolved the issue.  I didn't have to make any tweaks after installing either.  Thank you very much for your help!!!

Side note:  recently, there was an issue with the reCaptcha used by Formidable in that the graphic was abit off with some browsers.  I'm not sure what he root cause was from but the fix found through the Formidable forum is adding this code below to the customized code section in Pagelines which resolved the issue.  Just wanted to share in case someone searches on Formidable through this forum as well.  Thanks again!

#recaptcha_response_field {
height: 20px;
}

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

Hi there

Excellent, that's great news, glad you got it sorted :-)

Thank you for posting back with the resolution as well, that will help other users in the future.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: submit button, e5e5e5, formidable, css