11 replies to this topic

#1 novare

novare

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Hi,

I am using Pagelines 2.4.1 and migrated my site last night live. The sidebar areas (Primary, Secondary, etc) are no longer able to be customized per a template.

When I change SB1 on any template it changes universially through out my site.

Website URL:  www.novarelibrary.com
WordPress Version: WordPress 3.5.1.

Plugins in Use: Broken Link Checker, Duplicator (what we used to move the site over), Easy Contact Forms and NextGen Gallery.  (Note - I removed Next Gen and tried to see if it fixed the issue and it did not :( )
Server/Host: HostGator
Screenshots: Jing Video -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Thank you for your help!
Diana Silveira

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

Can you please elaborate further what change you're making in Sidebar 1?

(Sidebars are global areas, so if a widget inside Primary Sidebar that is activated in Sidebar 1 (for example) is changed, it will change on all pages where Primary Sidebar is present.)

#3 novare

novare

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hi,

I set for Template 3 for example to be just the secondary toolbar and template 5 to the Primary and Universal Sidebars.  On my development server, I was able to do this will sidebars appearing just where I need them. 

Now, all three appear everywhere.  If this is in fact, how it is suppose to work.  Can you help guide me on how to have widgets not appear on every page?  The Widget Context Plugin I normally use conflicts with Pagelines.

Thank you for the help.

Diana

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

When you are selecting Template 3, for example, in which template area is that secondary bar being activated? In Page Templates? In Content Area?

#5 novare

novare

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

Hi,

When I select Template 3.   The Secondary Bar is being placed in SB1 in the Drag & Drop Template Area.

Diana

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

There isn't a way to actually select Template 3 and select Sidebar 1. If you're in Drag & Drop, and you select SB1, the Template listing (with Template 1, Template 2, etc.) disappears because SB1 is a global area and can't be customized on a template-by-template basis.

#7 novare

novare

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Hi,

It was working like this before... If this is the case - how can I customize what widgets appear on what page? I do not need everything on every page.

Thanks.

Diana

#8 novare

novare

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hi,

I just had a light bulb go off and have my own answer.   For each page, I hide/display the sidebars I want to display.  Works like a charm.

Thank you so much Catrina for all your patience and help.
Diana

#9 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:29 PM   Best Answer

Okay awesome. No problem.

#10 allsortsacre

allsortsacre

• Members

• 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

I am having the same issue. I have just installed Pagelines on my site. I woul dike different sidebars to appear on different sets of pages within my site.

When I try and create a template with alternate sidebars the sidebar changes in every template from default to 5. Is there another way to "set" or "save the templates with different sidebars per template. I understand that the sidebars are "global" but isn't the point of having a template to be able to change the content area?

Is there a way I can Call on my different menus for different pages?

#11 novare

novare

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

the sidebars can be controlled on the bottom of any page.  You can hide/display the different options.

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

@

Hi this is an already resolved issue. Please don't post on these as they're usually ignored by staff because they're resolved.  It's always best to create new topics, so that you get the best answer.

There is a confusion of terminology here.  You are talking about changing the content of the sidebars on a different page, post, category basis, not changing the sidebars.  The sidebars are only containers.  You want to change what's in the container.

To do that, I recommend the Widget Logic plugin, and use of WordPress' conditional tags.  In implementing this plugin you absolutely must read the documentation, thoroughly, and study the list of tags.   Widget Logic is found at

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: widget, templates, help, sidebars