Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Site not viewing properly on mobiles

mobile-view

Best Answer MissT , 23 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Tracked it down - for some reason I'd added...

 

overflow-x: hidden;

 

...to my standard css to minimise the differences between browsers - its not in the sister site - as soon as I took it out problem gone.

 

Will put everything back as it was and check what difference it's made taking it out.

 

Many thanks Catrina - you pointed me in the right direction! :)

Go to the full post


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MissT

MissT

    Super Member

  • Members


  • 229 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Country: Country Flag

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

I have a website that is a copy of another website we built (it's for a sister company so same design being used) and its not behaving in the same way as the orginal when viewed on iphone or android phones.

 

On my HTC android (2.3.5) phone the site looks fine in portrait but as soon as I turn the phone horizontally to view landscape I can't scroll any further down, I can't even see the bottom of the feature slider (which is the main content).  Turn it back to portrait and I can scroll either way and see the whole site.

 

On an iphone simulator - with or without any combination of the following...the whole site isn't visible, I can only scroll to see a small part of it.

  • disable mobile view checked on
  • <meta name="viewport" content="width=1040"> (set in Headerscripts Code)

There are a couple of differences between the two sites but they are pretty much the same except for content.  One difference is the website feature slide height has been increased slightly in the new site and another difference is the layout width has been reduced from 992px in the orginal site to 960 in the new site.

 

The 'disable mobile view' is unselected and there is no viewport code in the headerscripts in the orginal site - this orginial site looks fine on the iphone simulator and on my android mobile.

 

I'll email the urls for both sites separately as I don't want to disclose on the forum.

 

Any help much appreciated as always :)



#2 MissT

MissT

    Super Member

  • Members


  • 229 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Country: Country Flag

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

Forgot to say both sites are using WordPress 3.5.1 and Pagelines 2.0.0.



#3 catrina

catrina

    Advocate

  • Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Country: Country Flag

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

I'm not sure if this will make a difference but just in case: To troubleshoot your issue, please deactivate ALL active non-PageLines plugins and see if the problem persists.


  • MissT likes this

#4 MissT

MissT

    Super Member

  • Members


  • 229 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Country: Country Flag

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

I deactived all non-pagelines plugins - made no difference, removed all headerscripts code - made no difference.

 

Then decided to try deactivating the pagelines section plugin - no difference.

 

Then deactivated the pagelines customisation plugin and hey presto - problem gone - I'd already validated my CSS so I'm going to check if I made any changes to the functions.php



#5 Danny

Danny

    Is Awesome!

  • Moderators
  • 15788 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK
  • Country: Country Flag

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hi,

 

You're using PageLines 2.0.0 ?

 

If this is the case you will need to perform a backup and update to the latest version 2.4.1, before we can assist you.



#6 MissT

MissT

    Super Member

  • Members


  • 229 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Country: Country Flag

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Yes because its a copy of an older site for a sister company built over a year ago - I assumed upgrading to the latest version would cause at least a few issues and extra workload.  There is hardly any difference between the sites apart from content. And the orginal site is working perfectly.

 

I've not amended the customizations plugin funtions.php so it must be something in the customizations plugin css.



#7 Danny

Danny

    Is Awesome!

  • Moderators
  • 15788 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK
  • Country: Country Flag

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

So your sister site is working fine on your and the one you have copied isn't ?

 

If thats the case then are the two sites located on the same server ?

 

Are you sure you're not using different plugins or some custom scripts?



#8 MissT

MissT

    Super Member

  • Members


  • 229 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Country: Country Flag

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

Yes old site fine. If you read back up the post I've deactivated everything and removed all headerscripts code - it was all pretty much the same anyway, just one plugin new I think.

 

I've backed up my CSS deleted the customisation plugin and re-installed a clean version from the store - problem still gone.

 

As soon as I put my CSS back in the problem is back - I'd already validated the CSS with no errors but something in it seems to be causing the problem.



#9 MissT

MissT

    Super Member

  • Members


  • 229 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Country: Country Flag

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:14 PM   Best Answer

Tracked it down - for some reason I'd added...

 

overflow-x: hidden;

 

...to my standard css to minimise the differences between browsers - its not in the sister site - as soon as I took it out problem gone.

 

Will put everything back as it was and check what difference it's made taking it out.

 

Many thanks Catrina - you pointed me in the right direction! :)



#10 Danny

Danny

    Is Awesome!

  • Moderators
  • 15788 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK
  • Country: Country Flag

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for informing us that the issue has been resolved!