Photo

public site w private blog page

private blog private blog page privacy private blog on public site

Best Answer Rob , 21 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

Hi Anet,

What happens if the homepage is static, and you've created a static blog page (as opposed to the homepage being a dynamic blog page, which is the default)?

Which plugin are you using? S2Member is one of the best.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 anet

anet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

HI, all, this may actually be a wp issue, but thought I'd check here first.

My client wants a site with mostly public pages, but a members only section of pages visible to registered users. That in itself is not hard; there are several good wp plugins that do that job.

However, those plugins do not set the blog page to private, unless I also make the whole site private. 

They do allow me to set the blog posts themselves to be private. But the blog page, where all the posts titles will show up, can't be private unless the whole site is private. And the client does want this whole blog page as well as each post to be invisible to non-registered users.

Anyone know a way to do this?

In researching, it seems the best way is to set up a second site for the blog. If I do this, does anyone know, do I set up a full wp site in the main directory (with installed pagelines theme), and then set up a full second wp site in, say main/blog directory (with pagelines theme installed also to this wp site), and then just duplicate all the visual items and settings such as header, colors, etc in the second site so both sites look like one?

Any experience in this? or ideas? lol, thanks in advance, this is a challenging one!

:)

Edited by anet, 21 April 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:38 PM   Best Answer

Hi Anet,

What happens if the homepage is static, and you've created a static blog page (as opposed to the homepage being a dynamic blog page, which is the default)?

Which plugin are you using? S2Member is one of the best.

#3 anet

anet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

Hi, Rob, 

Yes, I've had the following settings in Settings/Reading:

Front page displays:  √ A static page:

Front page: home

Posts page: the name of the post page

I guess all the plugins I've tried for privacy treat the posts page the same as the site.

If the site is private, the post page is private. If the site is public, no matter what plugin I use for privacy, I can set other pages to private and they are actually private. But even if I set the post page to private, the site settings seem to override it.

Checking out your suggested plugin and will report back.

Thanks!!

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

Keep us up to date with this.  I'm curious, as I use s2Member myself.