Photo
BigText (Framework)

'Page Options' section broke after updating 'Big Text'

Best Answer lifelikelife , 22 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

Hi Clifford, thanks for your reply.

Yes I fear that it's the cheap hosting causing all the trouble. I'm using the latest versions of Pagelines and Wordpress. I do have section switchboard (excellent plugin) and can deactivating sections does help the 'page options' load a bit faster but it's still 'broken' as in I can't click anywhere..

I've never looked into WP_DEBUG and I'm not able to look into this at the moment, however, I'll try to see if it does give errors. At this stage I'm almost certain the compatibility issue is due to my hosting being too cheap, the client's hosting fended way better but still struggled... I will mark the issue as solved. Thanks!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lifelikelife

lifelikelife

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

Hi guys,

I'm on the latest version of pagelines, I use the plugin 'Big Text' on the header section of my site

www.weeklypodcast.net

I just updated it through the pagelines dashboard and the font on Big Text changed to white (So I can't see it), now when I go into 'Page Options' to fix it, the page is broken. It takes ages to load and then when it doesn't let me configure or click on anything. It is displaying all messed up too, I have attached what the 'Page Options' of the Pagelines menu on my site looks like now. I have tried different computers too.

Is there a way I can revert to the previous version of the plugin? Any ideas of what may have happened?

Cheers,

JuanAttached File  fml.png   304.7KB   7 downloads

#2 lifelikelife

lifelikelife

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

Alright, so I have deactivated sections one by one and the whole thing breaks as soon as I try to have a clone of the 'big text' section.

I normally have one 'Big Text' on the header, and a cloned version with a different text on the footer.

If no clone is used then it all works, when I create the clone with the footer 'Big Text' the 'Page Options' menu dies.

So, I've had to accept it and just use the same 'Big text' in the header and in the footer, not ideal but better than no text. PS the 'big text' in the footer doesn't work very well it doesn't do it's big text so I've removed it.

#3 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

Hi there, I'll move this post into the big text developer's store forum so they'll be advise further for you.

• lifelikelife likes this

#4 lifelikelife

lifelikelife

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:50 AM

ok, thanks!

#5 lifelikelife

lifelikelife

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

Hi there,

I didn't get  a response for this issue so I moved onto use 'Slab Text'. It's a free alternative which is doing the job.

However, I thought I'd let you know I have now replicated this issue on a different installation of wordpress, on a different server, on a client's website.

Installing and activating Big Text didn't completely break page options like on my own, but it still messes up access to the Pagelines Page Options on the client's website, it takes forever to load and has crashed my browser a couple of times.

So, I wish someone could look into this at some point, that would be awesome.

Cheers!

#6 CliffordP

CliffordP

Advocate

• Members

• 474 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

Hi @lifelikelife

Thanks for your purchase of BigText.

Sorry you're experiencing issues with the latest version.

The latest version of BigText added line-by-line options and some fixes, so I wouldn't suggest using the previous version.

There has never been any admin-side CSS or JS so it shouldn't affect the display on any wp-admin page unless there's a PHP issue/conflict.

What version of WordPress and PageLines are you using? I'll assume the latest...

Do you have WP_DEBUG on? If yes, do you see any errors? Feel free to copy/paste here.

I've heard of low-cost web hosts having issues with loading a lot of section code, and BigText has a lot of options. Do you experience issues with BigText when you have fewer sections disabled? The Section Switchboard is a great plugin for bulk activation/deactivation of sections.

#7 lifelikelife

lifelikelife

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:58 PM   Best Answer

Hi Clifford, thanks for your reply.

Yes I fear that it's the cheap hosting causing all the trouble. I'm using the latest versions of Pagelines and Wordpress. I do have section switchboard (excellent plugin) and can deactivating sections does help the 'page options' load a bit faster but it's still 'broken' as in I can't click anywhere..

I've never looked into WP_DEBUG and I'm not able to look into this at the moment, however, I'll try to see if it does give errors. At this stage I'm almost certain the compatibility issue is due to my hosting being too cheap, the client's hosting fended way better but still struggled... I will mark the issue as solved. Thanks!

#8 CliffordP

CliffordP

Advocate

• Members

• 474 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:14 AM

Thanks for the follow up. Out of curiosity, do you mind sharing which host you're using? Feel free to private message me if you prefer. Or just disregard.

I'd definitely try out WP_DEBUG in your wp-config.php: http://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG

#9 lifelikelife

lifelikelife

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

Hi Clifford, my personal site www.weeklypodcast.net is on bluehost el cheapo plan. Client's site is with http://www.crazydomains.com.au/

Will look at the debug when I get the chance and post here :)

#10 micstepl

micstepl

• Members

• 148 posts
  • LocationVIE
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

NEW FEATURE IDEA

Is there a chance to have Text lines (to be marked, eg. with a checkbox) and these than to be rotating in sequence. 

Example: http://tympanus.net/...3RotatingWords/

The result should be:

- all marked/checked lines

- to exchange text (as the last word in demo)

- or define a placeholder for a word/sequence to be on change

br

,Michael

#11 CliffordP

CliffordP

Advocate

• Members

• 474 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

@micstepl

That CSS Rotating Words link is not part of the BigText section, but it could be turned into a new section of its own.

I see you are a PageLines Developer. Were you asking if you creating it would be duplicate functionality, or were you asking if I could create a new section based on that demo link?

Thanks for your interest in BigText.

#12 micstepl

micstepl

• Members

• 148 posts
  • LocationVIE
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

@micstepl

That CSS Rotating Words link is not part of the BigText section, but it could be turned into a new section of its own.

I see you are a PageLines Developer. Were you asking if you creating it would be duplicate functionality, or were you asking if I could create a new section based on that demo link?

Thanks for your interest in BigText.

Hi,

I thought of YOU, implementing it as a new function (I am not so skilled to do that).

It was rather a feature suggestion of mine.

Are you thinking of it???

I suggest (IDEA of mine):

- use your existent framework (exactly)

- make it only work for 1, 2, or 3 lines (to be defined e.g.. by checkbox)

- have one reference text-line as the adaptive length (to be e.g. also maked by checkb.)

- have one line as "placeholder"

- have the rest of the lines below as "rotating options", filled than in in the "placeholder"

- the whole thing than rotates than within the "placeholder" with a to be defined rotation pattern (Optin field drown)

how does this sound to you?

,Michael

#13 CliffordP

CliffordP

Advocate

• Members

• 474 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for the follow-up and providing me the idea.

CSS animations, as are used in your demo link, are not supported by IE9 and below ( http://caniuse.com/#...=CSS3 animation ). As a result, the text is just static. An IE9 visitor wouldn't ever know the text was supposed to be animated and would only see the first word in the rotating set.

There is a potential javascript workaround for IE9 compatibility ( http://blogs.msdn.co...animations.aspx ), but, more importantly, the demo didn't perform well on my iPhone 5. The animations weren't smooth, and it eventually broke down to be text on top of text instead of transitioning properly.

I'm not available at this time to look into the fix(es) to make it work well on mobile and IE9 so I am going to pass on this project at this time.

Again, thank you for thinking of me. Feel free to contact me directly if you ever have other ideas for me for the Store.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BigText (Framework)