Photo
- - - - -

Custom menus more than 2 levels deep?

custom menu grandchild menu dropdown

Best Answer Rob , 20 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Hello!

With WordPress, you'll not get a great-grandchild menu item in WordPress, normally, without considerable custom coding. There may be plugins out there that will extend this.

This topic may be helpful: http://wordpress.org...custom-menus-30

I think that for some odd purpose, WP limited the number of child menu items when the menu is used vertically in a sidebar.  I've tried this myself a few times and haven't had much luck past.

Personally, I'd recommend using UberMenu from CodeCanyon.net. I has many built-in overrides and is very easy to customize.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 callmestupidbut

callmestupidbut

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Not sure whether this is a Pagelines, WordPress or my coding issue, but I have a multi-site install of wordpress (v 3.5.1), with Pagelines v2.3.5 and the Woocommerce plugin.

I'm using a custom menu to display product categories on the left hand side of the page. Currently, when you hover over the 'Engine parts' category, the 'Aprilia' child category appears. There's also a grandchild and great grandchild category, but these don't appear on hover, but I'd like them to.

Can anyone see where the error is?

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

Hi there

How have you implemented this, just put the code into a text widget? Or used a custom menu widget?

Looking in the source code it stops after the second tab, there's no more code in the widget.

#3 callmestupidbut

callmestupidbut

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hi James

It's the custom menu widget.

Some css that may be an issue (added for the hover/display effect):

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:28 PM   Best Answer

Hello!

With WordPress, you'll not get a great-grandchild menu item in WordPress, normally, without considerable custom coding. There may be plugins out there that will extend this.

This topic may be helpful:

I think that for some odd purpose, WP limited the number of child menu items when the menu is used vertically in a sidebar.  I've tried this myself a few times and haven't had much luck past.

Personally, I'd recommend using UberMenu from CodeCanyon.net. I has many built-in overrides and is very easy to customize.

#5 callmestupidbut

callmestupidbut

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

Thank you, Rob

Just checking out UberMenu now - looks great!

I may change to a horizontal menu (subject to client's approval) to get the functionality (and usability) I need, and abandon the custom menu in the sidebar for now - the mega dropdowns seem to work to much better.

Thanks for all your help!

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

You're very welcome!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom menu, grandchild, menu, dropdown