Photo
- - - - -

Is it possible to put a blog within a blog?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 ttrusty

ttrusty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

I'm building a site using WhiteHousePro and my client wants a blog link on the site (a separate blog within the existing blog). I know I can create a simpler blog using the same theme in a different directory and link to that, but was hoping there is a better way to do this. I've established a 'blog' page and set it as the 'posts' page under 'Settings/Reading/Frontpage displays', but of course this adds all the existing posts and categories. What I need is to create something that uses different categories than the main site. I'm using the Maintenance Mode plugin to keep the site hidden while I'm building it, but if you need/want to see it I can give access. Hope I explained this clearly. Thanks for any assistance, Tom

#2 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:47 AM

You can create unlimited blogs. From the sounds of it, you need two completely independent blogs (otherwise I'd have a simpler solution). What I would recommend is to create a new database and install another WordPress + Theme and then simply link to it. Just create a new folder to put it in and upload it along side index.php of the other blog. There are other possibilities, but I would just install separate blog then to worry about all the many conflicts. Thanks, Bryan

#3 ttrusty

ttrusty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Bryan, I appreciate your help. That's what I thought I would have to do, I was just wondering if there was a more graceful way to handle it. Thanks again, Tom

#4 mystory_blog

mystory_blog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:10 PM

If you are running the latest version of wordpress there is a multisite or network feature. Basically with just one instalation of wordpress you can have as many blogs as you would like and you would have only one dashboard for all of them.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#5 ttrusty

ttrusty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

Thanks Jesus. Looks like exactly what I need. Tom