Photo

Blog template?

Best Answer James B , 19 April 2013 - 03:07 AM

Hi Annette

When you select a page to be the blog page in settings>reading it automatically assigns the blog template to that page and overrides the option set in the actual page settings (template 1-5 etc).

To add remove items to the blog page go to Pagelines>drag and drop and select the blog template.

To edit or modify the blog page meta settings go to Pagelines>page options>blog page.

To modify the ways posts display you can go to Pagelines>site options>blogs and posts.

If you find you've set your page up and there's no posts on it. Go to the drag and drop, select 'page template' area and then blog. Check the 'content' section in there. Then go up and select the 'content-area' and scroll down to check the 'postloop' is in there. Both content and postloop sections are required for posts to display.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 anet

anet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:02 AM

Hi, my client just asked me to add a blog section.

So...I set up a page to have the blog posts, through Settings/Reader.

When I go to that page, Blog doesn't show up as one of the possible templates, I'm only allowed Default, and Templates 1 to 5.

Yet, Blog is one of the options in Drag & Drop. So...how do I get my assigned page to have a blog template?

Thanks for the help!

Annette

Also, put up a first 'dummy' post here: http://www.lacctemp....om-our-leaders/

But only the title shows. And if I click the title, I go to a completely blank page. Same if I click 'add comment'. Sorry, but I'm not getting it at all, but there must be an obvious setting I'm missing!

Edited by anet, 19 April 2013 - 03:10 AM.

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:07 AM   Best Answer

Hi Annette

When you select a page to be the blog page in settings>reading it automatically assigns the blog template to that page and overrides the option set in the actual page settings (template 1-5 etc).

To add remove items to the blog page go to Pagelines>drag and drop and select the blog template.

To edit or modify the blog page meta settings go to Pagelines>page options>blog page.

To modify the ways posts display you can go to Pagelines>site options>blogs and posts.

If you find you've set your page up and there's no posts on it. Go to the drag and drop, select 'page template' area and then blog. Check the 'content' section in there. Then go up and select the 'content-area' and scroll down to check the 'postloop' is in there. Both content and postloop sections are required for posts to display.

#3 anet

anet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Oh! This is good to know. Not intuitively understood without your explanation; perhaps something could be noted somewhere in the dashboard? Anyway, thanks, this explains that for me!

"To add remove items to the blog page go to Pagelines>drag and drop and select the blog template."

My Blog template in drag&drop has Content for the Page template, and in Content Area template has Post Info, Post Loops, and Post/Page pagination.

"To edit or modify the blog page meta settings go to Pagelines>page options>blog page."

Here, my Blog Page has a sidebar layout selected. However, I have, in Page Meta Settings on the page itself, added a text widget in the sidebar, which is not showing up. I also have the sidebar layout selected on the Page itself, under Pagelines Meta settings, Page layout. The SPACE for the sidebar is there, but the Text widget I put in is not showing up.

In Page template area "Hide Content" is unchecked.

In Content template area "Post info" "Post loops" and "Post/Page pagination" is unchecked.

So all these should be showing, but if you click my link above you'll see only post title, author, but not actual post content.

"To modify the ways posts display you can go to Pagelines>site options>blogs and posts."

I have done nothing here; all the settings are the default setting.

"If you find you've set your page up and there's no posts on it. Go to the drag and drop, select 'page template' area and then blog. Check the 'content' section in there. Then go up and select the 'content-area' and scroll down to check the 'postloop' is in there. Both content and postloop sections are required for posts to display.

I have done this; post loop and content are both there. Problem is, the post is there, just missing the words of the post. And the link takes me to an empty page. So, the problem persists. Must be something else I'm not doing right?

Thanks for your explanations and help!

#4 anet

anet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

Ok, one part of the solution found!

Under Site Options/Blog&Posts/ I checked this checkbox under Post Excerpts or Summary Heading: "Posts/Blog Page". 

So now the excerpt is showing if you click my link above. 

However, on that page, if I click post title, it takes me to a blank page, also if I click 'read further'.

So, something is wrong in how individual post pages display....

And, still, something is preventing the text widget in the sidebar from displaying on the Posts/Blog page....

#5 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

To troubleshoot your issue, please deactivate ALL active non-PageLines plugins and see if the problem persists. If the problem does not persist, re-activate each plugin one at a time and keep checking your site each time to spot the problem plugin. When you spot it, please leave that plugin deactivated since it was causing the issue in the first place.

#6 anet

anet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

I have gone through and deactivated every single plugin. No dice. Still the same problems:

Clicking on either of the sample post titles or 'read more' links takes me to a completely empty page.

The problem persists. It's not a plugin issue. There is something else preventing the post pages from displaying content.

Thanks for the help!!

Other suggestions? This is pretty basic; I'm sure I'm missing something obvious!

#7 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

What happens if you change the permalinks setting from post name to something else?

#8 anet

anet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

If I change permalink setting to: default, then try to view page, it displays the home page instead of the Posts/Blog page.

If I change to: custom: the post link on the Posts/Blog page opens a page with 4o4 error.

All the other options make no difference: the Posts/Blog page opens with the 2 sample posts and their excerpts, but when I click on either post, I get a blank page.

Thanks, all, keep the suggestions coming!

#9 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

If you activate a different theme like Twenty Ten or similar, does the same problem occur?

#10 anet

anet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

Hi, Catrina, good thought. I activated Twenty Twelve, and the problem disappeared. When I go to the page linked above, the 2 sample posts and their excerpts show. And when I click on one of the posts there, they open in their own page with the whole post there as it should be.

I switched back to Pagelines theme, for my client's sake, so you won't be able to see it. But a different theme did work. Very weird. I'm sure many others who use Pagelines have a blog page that works correctly. Arrgh.

??

#11 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

Hi Anette

I've just checked your posts and it seems like you have the post content showing now - http://screencast.com/t/Ln20AgbJytnY

#12 anet

anet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

O

"If you find you've set your page up and there's no posts on it. Go to the drag and drop, select 'page template' area and then blog. Check the 'content' section in there. Then go up and select the 'content-area' and scroll down to check the 'postloop' is in there. Both content and postloop sections are required for posts to display.

I have done this; post loop and content are both there. Problem is, the post is there, just missing the words of the post. And the link takes me to an empty page. So, the problem persists. Must be something else I'm not doing right?

Thanks for your explanations and help!

Ok, I think I found it. I did the above for the blog template. Somehow in all the places to check things I failed to check: Drag & Drop/Blog Post template/Page template, to ensure that 'content' was added from the options there.

Sorry, folks, for not seeing this myself sooner.

Thanks for your tenacity! I certainly learned more about how to go through better checks myself in the future when I have a site problem.

Many thanks! 

This issue has been resolved. If I can't fix the non-displaying sidebar txt widget, I'll post a new thread.

#13 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hi Annette,

No worries at all, glad you managed to get this resolved :-)

I can see widgets displaying on the page at the moment, not sure if these are the ones you're looking for. The widgets in the sidebar are connected to the content area, so now you have the content back that should resolve the widgets to. If you get stuck though drop a new post in for us.