Photo
- - - - -

Wordpress image gallery quit workiing

lightbox image enlargements gallery not working

Best Answer James B , 18 April 2013 - 04:42 AM

Hi again,

The standard Wordpress gallery option doesn't have a built in light box option, which the effect you're explaining - http://codex.wordpre...rdPress_Gallery It will either link to the image file, or to an attachment page which has the image on.

Checking the source code of the wordpress site with the example you showed me, it's showing it is using the fancybox plugin - http://fancybox.net/

Where you using a different theme previously that might have had this option built in?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cskitchens

cskitchens

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

I am running Wordpress 3.5.1 with PageLines 2.4.1 and have several sites with this configuration. The wordpress image gallery does not work. When I click a thumbnal it enlarges to a new page rather than the lightbox it is supposed to do. Here is a good example, but it is the same on all pages. It was working previously.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:41 AM

Hi there, did you have a plugin adding the lightbox effect previously? That's not something Wordpress will include automatically, it will usually link to an attachment page or the media file.

#3 cskitchens

cskitchens

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:13 AM

No, I didn't have any lightbox added. I'm talking about what wordpress does normally. I have searched for a solution to this topic but didn't find any so that's why I'm asking for help. There are hundreds and hundreds of photos on this site and it's imperative that this works.

Here is a url of what I'm talking about (not a pagelines theme):

Here is what is happening (pagelines theme): 

When you click a thumbnail you get a new html page with the enlargement instead of the gallery.

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:42 AM   Best Answer

Hi again,

The standard Wordpress gallery option doesn't have a built in light box option, which the effect you're explaining -

It will either link to the image file, or to an attachment page which has the image on.

Checking the source code of the wordpress site with the example you showed me, it's showing it is using the fancybox plugin -

Where you using a different theme previously that might have had this option built in?

#5 cskitchens

cskitchens

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:48 AM

This site has always used Pagelines so I'm mystified as to why it quit working. Do you have a solution for this? Is fancybox compatible with Pagelines?

Thank you so much for your help.

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:51 AM

That's strange, maybe it was included as part of another plugin and was picking up the options/styling from there?

I usually use the colorbox plugin for that type of effect, i know that one works well with Pagelines -

But Fancybox should work ok to, I've not used it personally though, I have seen other clients use it -

#7 cskitchens

cskitchens

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

How odd! I will check out the resources you mentioned in the morning and let you know which works. Again, my thanks for your help.

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15084 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

Hi,

As far as I known, Wordpress provides no lightbox effect on images without the help of a plugin. Therefore, you must have either a plugin or custom code providing this lightbox effect.

#9 cskitchens

cskitchens

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

I want to thank you both for your help. I did install jquery colorbox and it's fine. I'm tending to think there must have been something from a deleted plugin that was giving us the effect in the beginning.

Problem solved, site working great now.

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

You're very welcome, glad you got it sorted :-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lightbox, image enlargements, gallery not working