Photo
Anything Boxes

Anything Boxes sorting problems

Best Answer cmunns , 29 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

I just updated to 1.3.8 which has the "Inherit Post List" orderby option. Use this and it will automatically order your pages in the same order that you have them listed when using the "List your page/post IDs To Query ( comma separated )" option. I believe this will your best bet in this case

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Hi Adam,

I have a few questions.

1) I use pages and subpages for my website. Is there any way I can manually order the boxes for these pages? None of the sorting options works for me.

2) When I check 'Page' for 'Check wich post types to use' in the 'Site default' >>> why is this not visible when I look to the Anything boxes settings on a specific page.
- Same for Boxes per row. In sitedefault I use one, on the specific page it shows me 'Select'.
- Same for 'Show the excerpt'. In sitedefault this is checked, on the specific page it's unchecked.
- Same for 'Box thumb style'.
- Same for both 'Box Ordering Options'.

3) I noticed the Box Ordering Options don't work if you have Post type order plugin installed. However, this plugin Post type order, you can not use for pages.
So if somebody wants to use the Box Ordering Options (for the pages) and the Post type order plugin (for the posts) this will not work together.

Kind regards,

Willem

#2 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Hey Willem,

I actually just yesterday included the "menu_order" option for ordering, which you should be familiar with as a way to sort pages. This should be perfect for you. The sitewide defaults are simply what the section will fallback too. If you are putting the same instance on every page you use the defaults otherwise you use the page meta. Probably not both.

#3 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

Hi,

I know that update, that was only helpfull for one page: the page that shows the boxes that are the same as the top menu.

I have pages where I show boxes from other menu's and I have pages that show boxes of subpages (different parents). After a lot of trying I could not get these sorted the way I want it.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Willem

#4 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

How exactly do you want them sorted ?

#5 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

Hi, before I explain, is manual ordering an idea?

Situation: I ordered my pages and subpages with the Simple page order plugin like this:

Page A
- Page B
- Page C
- Page D

Page E
- Page F
- Page G
- Page H

If on one page I fill in the ID's of mainpage A and E, I want box for Page A show first, box for Page E second.

If on one page I fill in the ID's of subpages, B, C, F and H, I want the boxes to show in that order as well because that's the way they are ordered from top to bottom with Simple Page order.

Hope to hear from you.

Kind regards Willem

#6 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

I can add the orderby param which will inherit the order that you list them in when using ID of pages. This will be perfect for you look for it the next release.

#7 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

Hi, thanks for thinking with us :-).

As you know I change the order of pages in backend with Simple Page Ordering plugin.

This plugin does not change the post ID, but it does change the order:

changepageorder.jpg

Is that the parameter you are going to add? And subpages can have the same order value (but different value), so the boxes for subpages will check first what order value the parent has to determine the order to show?

For example:

Page A (order 1)
- Page B (order 1)

- Page C (order 2)
- Page D (order 3)

Page E (order 2)
- Page F (order 1)
- Page G (order 2)
- Page H (order 3)

Showing boxes for pages B,D,F and G will list like:

- box 1: page B (parent order 1, self order 1)

- box 2: page D (parent order 1, self order 3)

- box 3: page F (parent order 2, self order 1)

- box 4: page G (parent order 2, self order 2)

Kind regards,

Willem

#8 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:43 PM   Best Answer

I just updated to 1.3.8 which has the "Inherit Post List" orderby option. Use this and it will automatically order your pages in the same order that you have them listed when using the "List your page/post IDs To Query ( comma separated )" option. I believe this will your best bet in this case

#9 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:58 AM

Thanks for the update. Works perfectly!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Anything Boxes