Photo
- - - - -

Feature Section

Best Answer Rob , 14 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Hi,

The problem I'm seeing on your site is that you have very large images in the slides.  The slider doesn't scale, it crops. In otherwords, if a slide should be seen by visitors as 600px by 350px  but you're using a 1280px by 720px image, the visitor may only see the desired size, but the whole image loads.  All that cropped space uses memory, and if you have multiple large images, the slider will slow down considerably, as will the page load time where the slider appears.

The solution is to use a graphics editor (such as Photoshop), and resize or crop the images, replacing that 1280px by 720px image with one that fits exactly the size desired. This will vastly reduce the load time of the slider and the page.

You can see what I'm observing by looking at the image in the Kobe Bryant slide:  http://www.headedfor...013/04/kobe.png

With this image: http://www.headedfor...4/kdrussel2.jpg the slider is compelled to stretch it, using additional processes to perform that function.  The best solution with sliders is always to make the background images the same size, minimizing the load time.

The transition speeds set for your slides seems to be slow. Can you tell us what those settings are?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

So the feature load time has been bugging me for the past couple days. I can't seem to find a solution for it... I dont know if I installed WP Super Cashe the right way. The thing thats really frustrating is when i go to my home page, It doesn't matter which browser I use, Even if I use my cell phone it doesnt matter. The way the feature slider loads is It Immediatly shows all of my slides vertically for a few seconds while my page is loading, then it puts them in the slider.... But whenever I go to other websites like espn.com or yahoo.com there sliders dont do that.... I would really appreciate any help I can get.

Thank You,

Seena Khoee

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:45 PM   Best Answer

Hi,

The problem I'm seeing on your site is that you have very large images in the slides.  The slider doesn't scale, it crops. In otherwords, if a slide should be seen by visitors as 600px by 350px  but you're using a 1280px by 720px image, the visitor may only see the desired size, but the whole image loads.  All that cropped space uses memory, and if you have multiple large images, the slider will slow down considerably, as will the page load time where the slider appears.

The solution is to use a graphics editor (such as Photoshop), and resize or crop the images, replacing that 1280px by 720px image with one that fits exactly the size desired. This will vastly reduce the load time of the slider and the page.

You can see what I'm observing by looking at the image in the Kobe Bryant slide: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

With this image:

the slider is compelled to stretch it, using additional processes to perform that function.  The best solution with sliders is always to make the background images the same size, minimizing the load time.

The transition speeds set for your slides seems to be slow. Can you tell us what those settings are?

#3 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

Wow. Very insightful. Thanks Rob! My settings are. Static Mode. Static Height 410px Timout4500 Transition4500

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the compliment!

Try setting the Timeout to 7500 and the transition to 1500 ms. Cumulatively, the time is the same, but the Timeout allows more time for your visitors to view the slide, while the transition is simply the time it takes to go from one slide to the next. 

All your images should be no higher or smaller than 410px in that case, and each should be no wider than the content area width set in your layout.

I hope this helps you speed up the transition and load time.

#5 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Huge help. Thanks Rob. Hoping this is going to solve the problem.

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

Anytime.  That's why we're here! :D

#7 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Rob last question. How do you think my website is layed out? I dont know what else to add because I am obviously targeting NBA fans and I want more stuff on my website..... just want to continue to increase my page views and unique visitors everyday..... do you think there is enough content or do i still need more?

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

I like it. I think it looks busy, but not so busy as to be overwhelming.  Busy, in an informative, fulfilling way, not a bad way. The spacing is great, and gives easy flow to the view of the page.  I love the way you've broken up the categories.  Well done!

#9 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

Thank you for your analyzation... Hopefully I can have some followers and increase my unique visitors. Appreciate your help and insight.

#10 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:47 AM

Rob I minimized the Images on the features.. they all have a height of 410px which is what the static height is set too.. and all of the width is definitely lower than the tolerance given. but for some reason my feature slider is still loading the same way. showing all my slides when the image loads. then going to normal...

#11 weekendknitter

weekendknitter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3.6

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

I believe I have a similar problem.  When I load my homepage, it tends to show a portion of one of the photos underneath where the slider should be.  Then it goes to normal as well.  Anyone have any other ideas as to why that is happening?

#12 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:55 AM

Please somebody help us. Super Super Frustrating. 

#13 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:56 AM

I would like to mention the problem I am having has improved! by improving i mean they are loading a big faster after changing the size of the images. but it is still showing all the slides for a second or two..

#14 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4985 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:06 AM

Hi there, to stop the additional slides stacking below before they load fully add this code to your css

#15 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

yessss. excellent. Thanks James.