14 replies to this topic

#1 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hello, 

So my website is www.headedforgreatness.com

And I was wondering if, when you post blogs, no matter what category it is, its going to file them straight down from the dates. But What I am trying to do is have 4 Different Blog Categories on my page. And set it up like this. First a Hero section, Then a Blog Section Category 1, Second Hero Second Blog Category 2, Third Hero Third Blog Category 3, Then Fourth Hero Blog Category 4. 

Is it possible to set up a Blog Template page like that?

I cant find a way...

Thank You Guys

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

There is a way to display a category loop for one category on a page with this section:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

However, to display multiple categories of posts on the blog page, you may need to work with the loop template tag from WP (

) and implement it somehow in the base theme.

#3 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Thank you catrina. The multiple loops is exactly what I want. But why would I have to move out of the pagelines framework theme into the base theme to have multiple loops?

#4 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

Also, just to make things easier. Can I just clone the CatLoop Plugin so I can separate my posts?

#5 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

The base theme is the child theme for PageLines Framework. In order to make your edits, you'll need to do it in the base theme so that changes won't be overwritten by any updates.

As for CatLoop, but I'm not sure if it's possible to clone since I have not used it before.

#6 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

GOD PLEASE! I'm hoping you can cole the CatLoop. Is there any way you can check that before I make the purchase? Cloning CatLoop will make my life a MILLION TIMES EASIER!

#7 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

I actually just bought it. But how do you install items you bought from the store? I downloaded and a zip file was download. Am I suppose to put that zip file in a certain folder?

#8 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

actually i'll just ftp it. Thanks for your help. Lets just hope theres a cloning for that sections feature. praying right now

#9 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

Hi Pspr, to install products from the store theres a couple of options. Either directly inside your wp install or via uploading/ftp.

Check out -

Once purchased any issues you encounter with store plugins can be address with the developer of the product directly on the store product forum at -

just remember to select the name of the product in the drop down when you post, that will alert the developer

#10 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Appreciate it James. I got it successfuly installed. But is there any way I can clone that plugin? Its not giving me that option

#11 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hi, I'm not sure to be honest. We don't get copies of the premium plugins for support as each developer provided their own support as they're third party. So we've not used most of them before. Most sections if they're able to be cloned will show the clone checkbox in the options tab in the drag and drop section, but it depends on how the section was created.

If you drop a new post here to the developer -

they'll be able to advise further for you.

#12 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

I can put catloop in the content area and another CatLoop #2 in the pagetemplates. That give me 2 CatLoops in Total But I would like to have 4 of them on the page. It would be much easier if I can just clone it....

#13 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

Oh okay. I see. Well what I am trying to do is have multiple loops. But I am not familiar with php coding. Whats the best thing you recommend because I really badly want to have 4 different blog categories on my page.

#14 pspr

pspr

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

actually james. she talks about how to clone CatLoop here.

If you want to make changes to CatLoop, you are free to do so.

I will assume that you have creating a child theme. In this child theme, if you used the Base Theme provided by PageLines, you should have a folder called “sections”.

When you buy and install CatLoop via the store in the backend of your site, the section will be placed in your plugins directory, in the folder of the PageLines Sections plugin. You will need to go to this folder and move CatLoop in your child theme’s sections folder.

Once it’s there you can use and abuse it as you wish.

To add more than one CatLoop in a single page and area, you will need to enable cloning.

Cloning is disabled by default because it doesn’t play nice with pagination, so use multiple clones only if you don’t plan on using pagination. Otherwise, when you go through the pages of posts pulled by CatLoop, you will eventually get a Not Found error for the clone that has reached the end of available posts.

To enable cloning, open the catloop folder, now located in the sections folder of your child theme. Locate and open the file called section.php. Open it. At the top of the file, you will find a line:

I just installed the base theme and I went to the catloop folder changed clone to true, but the clone option still isn't available. Am I missing a step after downloading the base theme? is base theme same thing as child theme?

#15 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

I would think the easiest way to do that would be to use a plugin like special recent posts shortcode option to pull in the posts from each category into a contentbox section.

Or look into a section like this -

you might need to check with the developer exactly if it can handle the setup you're looking to achieve, but from reading the instructions on that link it seems to indicate it can be cloned.