Photo
- - - - -

Need ideas- allow access to site in stages

Best Answer James B , 11 April 2013 - 12:46 AM

Hi again, no there shouldn't be any problems with that. Just set the relevant pages in settings>reading and then switch back later.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mbreese1

mbreese1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Framework Version:Pro

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hello genuises!

I have a site that I'm working on that I want to release in stages (it's currently all in maintenance mode).

1. blog
  2. static site
  3. store

I'm curious if anyone has any brilliant ideas on how to only allow access to the areas as I am ready to have them available to the public. I'm having a serious brain fart regarding a solution to this- and I'm relatively sure that it can't be *nearly* as difficult as my thinking is making it.

Please help.

<3 Bree

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

Hi Bree

There's a couple of options I can think of first off.

One would be to keep the pages as private or draft using the wordpress settings in the post editor.

Two would be to use a plugin like S2 member (officially a membership plugin) but it would allow you to prevent access to certain pages unless you're a registered member until you were ready to make them public.

#3 mbreese1

mbreese1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for the speedy (and useful) reply, James!

Another question the idea of private/draft pages made me think of is the home page. Currently it's static... can you think of any big headaches I might encounter by setting home to recent posts for now and then changing it back to static when I'm ready to release that area of the site?

Thanks!

B

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:46 AM   Best Answer

Hi again, no there shouldn't be any problems with that. Just set the relevant pages in settings>reading and then switch back later.

#5 mbreese1

mbreese1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

Thanks so much!