Internet Explorer 8

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 balfred1345

balfred1345

• Members

• 102 posts
  • LocationFlyover Country, USA
  • Framework Version:Some sites Pagelines Framework (latest version), some sites DMS latest version

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

I'm testing a new page on a site on IE 8 and after a long load time, I am getting the message that says "Stop running this script? A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive".

I have the Include Google IE Compatibility Script? checked off. I'm on the latest versions of PL framework and WordPress.

I have tested this with all plugins deactivated, and get the same slow load time and above message.

Same results in both Windows 7 and XP, although in XP the site sometimes does not load at all and I don't get the message.

Here's the URL

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Since half of the IE users are still using IE 8, I've got to find a way to make this work!

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

Hi,

PageLines Frameworks does work in IE8, and will do nothing to slow the site down.  Have you tried activating the 20/12 theme at Dashboard > Appearance > Themes ?

It sounds like this isn't specific to PageLines, but to WordPress, since the Framework only adjusts some CSS to make it compatible with IE.  That shouldn't really slow the site.  Did this by any chance happen after the last WP update?

#3 balfred1345

balfred1345

• Members

• 102 posts
  • Framework Version:Some sites Pagelines Framework (latest version), some sites DMS latest version

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

I did try activating the 2012 theme and got the following message on IE8:

"Fatal error. Call to undefined function pl_detect_ie() in /home/videoh6/public_html/seasonshospice.org/wp-content/plugins/browser-css/browser-css.php on line 256"

When I ran the IE debugger on the site with the PL Framework activated (Base theme), i got the following error message thrown from the jQuery advanced browser check document: "Object doesn't support this property or method. 

So, given the above, I'm guessing there is something on the PL side that is causing this problem. 

#4 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

Whats the object? Does it give any indication to what script is generating that error?

#5 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hi there, the browser css plugin is a pagelines plugin so it won't work inside another theme If you deactive that prior to switching over themes.

Testing in the twenty twelve theme will let you know if the problem is coming from the theme directly, but it could also be due to a plugin or another issue. If you test both themes with all plugins deactivated so you have a level playing field and let us know if you get any error messages etc.

A Js error would lead us to think the error is being thrown from a plugin which is conflicting with the framework.

#6 balfred1345

balfred1345

• Members

• 102 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

Simon: I figured out that the Object error that I referred to in my above post was from a Plugin, so I deleted it. Here's what is causing the "Stop running this script" message after the page hangs for some time: IE9.js?ver=3.5.1, line 6 character 36303 which is from ie7-js.googlecode.com/svn/version/2.1/(beta4)/IE9.js

So, I went ahead and unchecked the  Include Google IE Compatibility Script? 

This solved the problem! 

So, is there any reason for me to manually enter a non-beta Google IE Compatibility Script? And if so, do I put it in Custom Code/Headerscript Code?

James: Thanks for the info on testing 2012 w/o plugins to even the playing field. I'll do that next time I run into a problem!

Thanks very much,

Bruce

#7 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

Is there a non beta one?

#8 balfred1345

balfred1345

• Members

• 102 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

Good question! I went and looked at the Google page:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

All versions are labeled (beta4)

Hmm...

Have you had other PL users with the same problem? This seems odd. 

#9 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

If the site is rendering in IE without the google compatibility code active and it's displaying/acting ok then you won't need to activate it.

The only thing I've heard of previously is that font awesome icons had some problems  displaying with the google script.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Internet Explorer 8