Photo
- - - - -

Post-Thumbnail Migration from iblogPro4 to iBlogPro5

post-thumbnail iBlogPro5

Best Answer Tang , 12 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

James, php really is a timeconsuming friend - too hard for me to learn now. A friend of mine helped me with the problem and found a solution in CSS for this thread keeping responsiveness + full thumbnail-size … we were so close … haha:

a.post-thumb {
	width: 30% !important;
}

That did the trick :D Aloha & Mahalo

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tang

Tang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt - Germany
  • Framework Version:2.4.4

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

originally coming from iBlogPro3 - there was a custom-field called »thumb« carrying all my 200px x 200px post-thumbnails. I also used them in iBlogPro4 with no problem. Now in my migration-project to iBlogPro5 these custom fields still exists, but thumbnails don't show up like before - maybe it simply doesn't exist in the new framework. No problem, I thouht and started to manually grab the URLs and put them as »feature-post-thumbnail« in one of these legacy posts. But now the thumbs show up in 75px x 75px size in the post. The corresponding images are sitting in a Nextgen-Gallery folder with original size 200px x 200px and that folder seems to create a problem. If I copy on of these images over to the WP-Media folder and set as »feature-post thumbnail« they show up much bigger: 165px x 165px. Almost there, I thought, but still to small.

So next I found the reason for the smaller size with Firebug in the »postloop« section:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

putting the width to 100% … and my original 200px x 200px thumb size was back! Great, I thought, but what code to put into the customize CSS plugin to change this? Firebug only gave me:

but no matching compiled CSS. Just putting that snippet in, gives no result. I'm not a pro and maybe it's simple, but I'm stuck with that an need help with the correct CSS.

And of course it would be great to have a simple way to bulk edit my old posts to get the thumbnails back into place without the need to move them away from ther original NGG-folder. Maybe with a plugin like Auto Post Thumbnail PRO?

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Since it only gives element.style, you should try the selector: a.post-thumb img

#3 Tang

Tang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

or

in Custom -CSS changes nothing. HTML stil shows style: width: 25% after refreshing the page. Something is missing, I guess.

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4978 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

Have you managed to get this resolved, the images are showing 200px on the site but I can't see if it's the new or the old site.

If not, try the following

Take out the .element.style (that's not needed, that is just telling you the style is applied inline'

Change max-width to just width or even min-width. Try adding !important to the end of the css before the ;

#5 Tang

Tang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

Sorry James, but nothing changed. I give you a little more oft the Firebug-HTML:

and it's so easy just to change the style width 25% to 100%  in Firefox, but no way to do it in Custom CSS yet. What part of the framework ist resposible for these 25% anyway?

And yes, the live site you visited, still is wonderfull iBlogPro4, where everything was limited, but clean and easy.

Anyway here is, how it looks now on my localhost with the 25% resulting in 165x165px thumb:

and that's how it should look like:

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 12968 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

Hi,

The Feature thumbnail settings are controlled by your Wordpress media thumbnail settings size. You can check these by going to Wordpress Admin Dashboard > Settings > Media > Thumbnail size.

Would it be possible to provide a link to the site in question please.

#7 Tang

Tang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Still no solution. Thumbnail sizes either in WP-Media as well as in Nextgen-Gallery are set to 200 x 200px. Site is on localhost under development. I could eventually give TeamViewer8 remote access for the site to someone, who wants to help. 

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Can you provide a screenshot of Dashboard > Settings > Media so that we can at least see how you've set up the thumbnail size?   It will help considerably.  A screenshot of what you're seeing on the site helps too.

Thanks.

#9 Tang

Tang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

My WP-Media Settings:

My Nextgen-Galery-Thumbnail Settings:

and what I see with firebug selecting the image of the thumbnail:

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4978 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

Hi Tang

By default Wordpress won't regenerate thumbnails after the settings have been adjusted in settings>media to a new size. You'll need to use a plugin like -

to re-size the existing thumbnails to the new dimensions.

#11 Tang

Tang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

James, I did never change these settings. They always have been 200x200px since my first iBlogPro3-theme, but yes, I can play around with the plugin. It just seemed so easy, cause changing the HTML in Firefox to 100% did the trick. And not to forget - all these pictures have the original size of 200 x 200px. So there is no need to shrink or modify their size anyway, but something is putting the 25% width on them … crazy.

#12 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4978 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

Looking at your screenshot the only other css I can think to try would be.

#13 Tang

Tang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

here's the result:

#14 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4978 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

Excellent, so it's resized the image, you'll need to look higher up in the css to find the frame container which seems to be smaller and adjust the size of that to match. That will probably also affect the margin which will fix the text alignment too.

#15 Tang

Tang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

okay, playing around with CSS eventually gives me the perfect look, but this way I kill the resposiveness of the thumbnails. They stay big when shrinking the site to tablet or smartphone-size. That is perhaps why the width was set to 25%. That made resizing easy and is giving good looking results. Raising it to 30% brings back the 200 x 200px plus resposniveness. To make it short: best solution was editing the origin of that, which is in … > pagelines > includes > class.posts.php

on line 406 I changed the value of 25 to 30 … and everything is perfect now!

But I want to write this into the > plugins > pagelines-customize > functions.php … Problem is, I have no idea how to do this correctly! Playing around with .php easily kills the site. But as you can see, I constantly mutate from a piano-player to a code-player ;)

#16 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4978 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

Hi Tang

Glad you got that sorted. We can't support editing core files as if you update it will wipe the changes, you'll need to remember the changes you made.

If you wanted to add to the customize plugin you'd probably have to use a filter to edit the values using the 'function post_thumbnail_markup', but yes that will be a php coding jobby.

#17 Tang

Tang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:22 PM   Best Answer

James, php really is a timeconsuming friend - too hard for me to learn now. A friend of mine helped me with the problem and found a solution in CSS for this thread keeping responsiveness + full thumbnail-size … we were so close … haha:

That did the trick :D Aloha & Mahalo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: post-thumbnail, iBlogPro5