Photo
AnyLoop

Problems with excerpt, section placement

Best Answer bvinzens , 11 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

Hi,

ok. It seems that I misunderstood the basic funcionality a little bit :huh:  Thanks a lot for your patience. Then I got it working as it works and I'm able to use it :-)

Maybe my requirement could be a part of a future version :)

Thanks a lot again for your help

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bvinzens

bvinzens

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

Hello,

today I've bought Anyloop and installed it. Unfortunately now I have some problems and don't know how to solve it.

1. If I use Anyloop for a page eg. Template 1 where and how do I have exactly to place the Anyloop section? Under Page Template/Template1 or in the "content area" itself for Template 1. Do I have to remove the "poostloop" section in the "content are" too? It's a little bit confusing for me.

2. I was able somehow to get a test running but the "excerpt"-text of a post is not shown. Of course I've added the text into the referring field in a post and it's not set to "hide".

3. If I use the grid mode then the the value for "width" has no effect. The default value 200 is inserted instead all the time.

I use the topical pageline version and wordpress 3.5.1

Thanks in advance!

#2 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

Hi!

1. If you want to use AnyLoop to run posts that you specify, just drop it into the content area of the page template. Yes, you would remove the postloop, because AnyLoop is a post loop.

2. The excerpt is taken from either the first part of your post, or if you have a hand-crafted excerpt it will use that. Sometimes it's hidden, so you can toggle it into view by going to Screen Options in the post screen (up top), and enabling the Excerpt box.

3. I haven't had any reports of the width not working. Do you have a site that I can see this not working on? 

#3 bvinzens

bvinzens

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Hi,

thanks a lot for your fast feedback. I was now able to get the problems 1 and 3 running. I don't know why but now also the width is used properly.

But I still miss the excerpt text. Are there some additional settings maybe in the page line configuration which could affect it? I have the excerpt text in all of my posts in the excerpt-field. I want to hide the entire content and only show the excerpt. That's not working at the moment. The content is hidden, but the exceprt not shown.

Thanks a lot

#4 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

The excerpt is taken from either the first part of your post, or if you have a hand-crafted excerpt it will use that. Sometimes it's hidden, so you can toggle it into view by going to Screen Options in the post screen (up top), and enabling the Excerpt box.

Other than that, I can't really do much without a link to your site, or some screenshots of your settings.

#5 bvinzens

bvinzens

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

Good Morning,

and thanks a lot for your support at the moment.

Of course I can give you a link to my test environment http://www.hs-tvstudio.de/standardblog. It's a German page, so don't bother. The page itself is called "Test Anyloop 2". There you see that the excerpt text is

missing, the content was made invisible. Here ist a file with some screens http://hs-tvstudio.d...Screenshots.pdf

An additional Info the page is part of a multisite. Maybe that's the problem.

The text for excerpt should be taken from the excerpt field in a blog post, as it was typed in manually. If you want to have a look in the backend I can give you temporary login.

Meanwhile I've installed it on another single website (no multisite) http://www.my-cup-of...de/pagesandbox2 (page "Test2") with PL and Anyloop and here I have the same problem. Same version of Wordpress without any other plugins which could interfere. Only PL + AL + WP 3.5.1 in German.

Bye

#6 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

OK I see the issue. AnyLoop can be used as the main postloop OR, as a loop running posts on a page, you can't have them for both. This is why the shortcode exists, so that you can use them both. You have AnyLoop running as the main loop of your site, so if you want a page with more anyloop posts on it, you'll need to use the shortcode.

#7 bvinzens

bvinzens

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hello,

thanks a lot again. I appreciate your help.

But unfortunately I think I don't get it. Maybe you can it explain it more detailed for me or is there a step-by-step-documentation of this plugin. I only found examples but no doc with screenshots or something like that. I think a short documentation would also help other users.

Ok, I will try to explain it as far as I've understood the functionality for my page:

Under "Drag & Drop" I have the different page types e. g. blog, tag, category, archives a.s.o. In the content area for these types I have the ordinary "default post loop" of PL. Only for template 1 I have the "any loop" in the content area and kicked out the default loop. And this constellation does not work for my webpage? Is that right? So if I want to use that procedure I will have to elimante the "post loop"-sections of all page types and insert the anyloop section instead, right?

Or I keep this constellation but then have to insert a shortcode for my page with template 1 (and the anyloop in the content area) instead? But then what happens with the anyloop section in my content area of "template 1". Do I need it or can I eliminate it?

And the the problem of the missing exceprt-text will be solved then?

Thanks a lot again.

#8 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

All the documentation is on the demo. There's really nothing else to document. To run AnyLoop as a section on a page, IN ADDITION to AnyLoop replacing your blog loop, you'll need to either clone the section, or use a shortcode for the other page. Does this make sense? You can show/hide anything just like the section.

Use the shortcode on your page and your issues will be solved. 

#9 bvinzens

bvinzens

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Hi,

I would prefer some screens from backend settings. This would help me a lot.

If I use the shortcode on a page, then I only get "the recent posts" functionality without the possibility to affect the rendering, right? This means I cannot hide/show content, excerpt or thumbnails aso as in the anyloop-section-option. 

Now I've done some more tests http://pagesandbox2....de/?page_id=48. I've two cloned anyloop section for a page with template 1

But the excerpt is still not there if I use the section. Only if I use Grid-Mode I have it, the full mode doesn't show it. And now I'm out of any further ideas.

Sorry...

#10 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

Like I said above, you still have all the hide/show controls that you need with the shortcode. Please see the demo http://anyloop.nichola.us And yes, you are right, the full mode, shows the full post..meaning, the FULL post, no excerpt. The hide excerpt only works on the grid layout.

#11 bvinzens

bvinzens

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:31 AM   Best Answer

Hi,

ok. It seems that I misunderstood the basic funcionality a little bit :huh:  Thanks a lot for your patience. Then I got it working as it works and I'm able to use it :-)

Maybe my requirement could be a part of a future version :)

Thanks a lot again for your help

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AnyLoop