• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nudolio

nudolio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

Hi, I just bought Simon's hook plugin and just used it. Nice and simple. As I'm building my site the goal is to push the design but keep it mobile friendly. It was looking great on iPhone until I added a hook to get a custom image in my header template (the girl in upper right)

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Now looking at my mobile the branding logo is out of place and the girl covers the navbar. Should I stay away from hooks then?  Or is it better instead to use Drag & Drop to add a section in the header?

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

Hi there

Hooks are a great way to insert additional content into areas set aside in the template without having to edit the core files. However the content you put into the hook will need to be set with css to make it align correctly in the different layouts. For example you might need to use css to get it to go into the correct position in the desktop view, but when its in a responsive layout you might need to use browser specific css to position it correctly in that design.

As you're adding the image manually into a container on the site, there's no code in there to tell it how to behave other than using the sizing/positions of the container it's been placed inside, which might not necessarily react the same as the way the branding logo or brandnav would. Therefore by adding some of your own css you can tweak it to suit.

If you've not dealt with browser specific css before, check out -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 nudolio

nudolio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:28 AM   Best Answer

I see what you mean. Thanks much

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: responsive, hook, header template image