Photo
- - - - -

Push all content down

padding content nav feature

Best Answer vonsommerfeldt , 03 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

In other words pad the navigation so that everything that appears beneath the navigation, on all pages, is about 20px lower than it already is

maybe 

#nav { padding: 0 0 20px }     ?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vonsommerfeldt

vonsommerfeldt

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

I'm trying to find a way to push the content on ALL pages down, without effecting the nav. So if there are features, or boxes, or just text I want it further down the page in relation to the navigation.  Everything I've found on here just seems to deal with one aspect or the other.

Do I need to pad the navigation on the bottom? Or?

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15900 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

Hi,

I apologise but I don't quite understand what you're trying to achieve, would it be possible to provide an image which displays the layout. Once we have this, we will be able to assist you further.

#3 vonsommerfeldt

vonsommerfeldt

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:05 PM   Best Answer

In other words pad the navigation so that everything that appears beneath the navigation, on all pages, is about 20px lower than it already is

maybe 

#nav { padding: 0 0 20px }     ?

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

Hi there, rather than using the nav I would say try adding a top padding/margin to the #page-main container to get that affect.

#5 vonsommerfeldt

vonsommerfeldt

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

Does that push EVERYTHING under the nav down? I think I tried that and for example on the home page where I have a features slider and then content underneath, it just pushed the content down 

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

Well it depends what else you have in the header area of your site. If your nav is at the bottom of the header then the #pain-main container will push everything down from where the header ends. If you have other items in the header which are positioned under the nav then it will not affect them.

If that's the setup you have you'll need to see which areas are in the drag and drop in the header and then try to affect the css for the element below or by adjusting the bottom of the nav to get the desired affect.

#7 vonsommerfeldt

vonsommerfeldt

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Is there anything particularly wrong with padding the bottom of the #nav?

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

Hi, no there's nothing wrong with applying padding to the bottom of the nav, if that's working for you on your site that's all good :-)

Just need to remember if you add anything to the header in future after the nav they'll be a gap between the nav and that item within the header section, so you'd need to adjust the css to apply on the lowest item within the header.

#9 vonsommerfeldt

vonsommerfeldt

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

That's fine. I added blank links to the menu that lead nowhere (#) centered them, and the placed my logo on top of them, so the menu links are on either side of my logo or site branding. Hence why I had to bad the content down. Works good so far with #nav padding.

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

Excellent, glad you got it working.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: padding, content, nav, feature