Photo
- - - - -

Best archive view?

Pagelines Archive

Best Answer James B , 24 April 2013 - 01:32 AM

Hi Geoff

In Pagelines>site options>blogs and posts you'll see a section for post thumbnail placement, make sure you check category lists and post archives. Screenshot of the admin panel below

http://screencast.com/t/dC336TC9L

Do you have more than one post assigned to that category? Each category page will only show the relevant posts assigned to it. If you do have more posts assigned to that category check settings>reading from the main wp admin area and see what you have set in the 'blog pages display at most' field.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 siftingpoint

siftingpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

I am using the Jetpack 2.2.1 Archive Posts plugin and it very limited.  What do you recommend for Pagelines Framework Pro and Wordpress 3.5.1.

I would like to display archived posts by post type preferably on different pages by menu header.

Thank you for your help.

Geoff

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

Hi there,

Pagelines uses it's own archive template to display posts as default, you could try something like -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

to get a more specific view, or if you have the urls create a custom menu with the various archive links included to give that effect.

#3 siftingpoint

siftingpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

Thanks James for the quick reply. I have not set up the archives for Pagelines. I see there under Page Options both a archive page and category page. Is there a tutorial for it? Does it grab all posts and can you sort by post category?

Thanks again.

Geoff

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

Hi Geoff

Yes under page options you can setup the options for the archive and category page. The category page will display per category, in order of the post date going backwards etc. So all posts displayed for that category will appear on that page, instructions on the drag and drop setup up are

These pages are created dynamically via wordpress, pulling in the relevant posts depending on the category etc.

To get those pages active on the site you can insert them using a custom menu via appearance>menus, in that page you have an option to insert a category link, which will add the category page to the menu. More information on custom menus in wordpress can be found here -

#5 siftingpoint

siftingpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

Perfect.  Thanks James.

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

You're welcome, let us know if that works for you :-)

#7 siftingpoint

siftingpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

OK, I am working on it.  Where do I get the custom link for posts by category?  I can see how I can do it by date but not category?  

Thanks.

Geoff

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:38 AM

When adding a category item to the menu you can use the panel in appearance>menus. Half way down the day you'll see a box with the various categories and checkboxes inside, check the box and it will add to the menu. Like -

Which will then show in the menu like -

If you just want the category url without adding it to the menu. You can use this method replacing the id at the end with the id of your category or if using a different permalink settings the name of the category.

reg:

or

#9 siftingpoint

siftingpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

James I finally got some time to try this and it added all the categories to the main menu.  I just want them under the Archive page. I created the archive page but none of the categories show up.  I want it to look like:

Archives (on all pages) 

The a pull-down with the categories on it.

- cat. 1

- cat. 2

- cat.3

- etc. 

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Geoff

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

To put the categories into a drop down menu you'll need to go into your custom menu and slide sub pages over to the right slightly until they click into place, like they're intended slightly. This will turn them into child pages and place them in the drop down. You'll need to make sure the item on top of the indented items in the menu is the item you want to be the main menu.

So in this example you'll see gallery and blog are in the sub menu for shop, and contact is in another sub menu of blog.

#11 siftingpoint

siftingpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:14 AM

Thanks James.  That worked great on the menus page but it does not update on my page.  I first created an archive page and thought this menu page would update jot.  What am I missing?

Thanks.

Geoff

#12 siftingpoint

siftingpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:33 AM

OK, James I got it to work by choosing Primary Website Navigation to be Archives.  But this has rearranged my menu.  How can I change the order of the menu headers?

Thanks.

geoff

#13 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:36 AM

Hi Geoff

Sorry was responding then saw you responded in the meantime. To change the order of the items in your menu go to appearance>menus and you'll be able to drag and menu items up and down into the correct order.

#14 siftingpoint

siftingpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:03 AM

Thanks James.  I am sorry I wrote 2 posts in a row :-)

One other question please...

The archive category is only showing one post.  I would like it to show thumbnails of them all. Can I do that and if so where do I change that?

Thanks James. I really appreciate it.

Geoff

#15 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:32 AM   Best Answer

Hi Geoff

In Pagelines>site options>blogs and posts you'll see a section for post thumbnail placement, make sure you check category lists and post archives. Screenshot of the admin panel below

Do you have more than one post assigned to that category? Each category page will only show the relevant posts assigned to it. If you do have more posts assigned to that category check settings>reading from the main wp admin area and see what you have set in the 'blog pages display at most' field.

#16 siftingpoint

siftingpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

Yehaw!!!! It all worked perfectly!  Thanks James.  Whew.  I have been wanting to do this for a long time. Have a great evening!