Photo
- - - - -

Creating Different menus for each Parent Menu

menus sidebar

Best Answer Danny , 01 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

Hi Gareth,

The PageLines grid is a responsive grid system that contains 12 columns. Therefore, if you wish to have two columns of equal width, then your code would look like this:

The PageLines grid docs page, has a number of span examples which you can use, inorder to get to grips with the system.

Another example:

Two column layout, with the left column containing a simple list of links and the other containing a large placeholder image. The two columns are not equal in width, the left column is using span4 and the wider right column is using span8.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 garethbrowning

garethbrowning

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCumbria Uk
  • Framework Version:Professional

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

I am trying to replicate this website www.wildennerdale.co.uk in wordpress using Pagelines 2.4 see developing version

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I would like to have a left sidebar on some pages with links to other information and other relevant pages. Whilst this would be the same for each parent menu it would differ between parent menus. 

I have created a custom menu with links in it for the Wildlife Parent Menu see 

However I cannot understand how to change the custom menu used on different parent pages. For example under "People" I would like to have a different set of left side bar links than under "Wildlife".

At the bottom of the pagelines meta settings in the Page Edit form there is a an options "select secondary navigation menu" which allows me to choose one of my custom menus. I seem to be able to choose a different one for each page which seems to be what I want to do. However when I choose this nothing changes on my page after I have updated it. 

Please can anyone help.

Thanks

Gareth Browning

Cumbria UK

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15120 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:43 AM

Hi Gareth,

There are two ways you can achieve this, in my opinion the simplest method would be to use HTML instead of the Wordpress custom menus system. What I would do is this:

1. Go to the PageLines store and activate the free section called ContentBox.

2. Then I would add this section to the top of a template via Drag and Drop.

3. Then using the PageLines grid, you can create a two column layout - 

4. Once you have your two column layout, in the left hand column, you can use HTML to create a basic menu. See our Font Awesome docs for examples on creating a basic menu list. - 

5. In the other column, you can do anything you like such as use HTML to add text or an image. However, you could even use our Shortcodes to create a slideshow.

Using the above method, wouldn't require any assistance from a plugin, unlike the alternative method. Also, as this is all in the ContentBox section, it will set when creating your page, so all pages can have different menus.

he alternative method, would be to use the Menu widget and a plugin called Widget Logic. However, you will need to use the Menu widget multiple times and use Widget Logic to hide/show the correct menu widget on each page.

#3 garethbrowning

garethbrowning

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCumbria Uk

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Hi Danny

Thanks for the advice. I like the grid idea. 

I have iunstalled the ContentBox section and can see how that works,.

Ive read the Pagelines Grid help page but dont understand what to do. Can you explain further how I create a two column grid. Do I insert some html somewhere?

Thanks

Gareth

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15120 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:07 AM   Best Answer

Hi Gareth,

The PageLines grid is a responsive grid system that contains 12 columns. Therefore, if you wish to have two columns of equal width, then your code would look like this:

The PageLines grid docs page, has a number of span examples which you can use, inorder to get to grips with the system.

Another example:

Two column layout, with the left column containing a simple list of links and the other containing a large placeholder image. The two columns are not equal in width, the left column is using span4 and the wider right column is using span8.

#5 garethbrowning

garethbrowning

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCumbria Uk

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

Thanks Danny

Sorry I should have been more specific. I understand the code but where do I insert it. Do I insert directly in the page or some where else within PagelInes?

Many thanks

Gareth

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15120 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

If you're using the ContentBox section, you can insert the code there. However, it can also be used in pages, posts, boxes etc...

#7 garethbrowning

garethbrowning

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCumbria Uk

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

Thanks Danny thats great Ill give that a try

Happy Easter

Regards

Gareth