Migrating from PlatformPro to Pagelines

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 broniors

broniors

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

Hi ... I am wanting to migrate from PlatformPro to pagelines for my blog. 

I am having problems replicating the current set up. 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I have it in magazine mode with 1 full width post (with full content and no thumbnail) followed by 2 columns of excerpt posts (limited to 55 characters) with a thumbail image

I can't seem to get this to work with pagelines. Can you suggest how I can do this?

With Platform Pro screen captures

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hi,

The conversion to PageLines Framework should be fairly simple based on what you've suggested. 

At Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > Blog And Posts the Magazine Layout Mode should be selected (left of two options).  Below that, select the full-width layout style for the full-width excerpt and post layout.  Remember there, this affects both the style of the blogpage and the post itself.

Scroll down, and select under Full Post Content the option for Posts/Blog Page by checking it. The number of words should be 55, which should limit the words in magazine excerpts only. Save the settings.  

Next, let's select Dashboard > Settings > Reading and select the option for Full Width at "For each article in a feed, show".   Save the settings.

Let us know if this works. 

Thanks for your patience.

#3 broniors

broniors

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

Thanks for your help. 

The only problem is that this doesn't set it up so that

1. the first post is a full post (full width post) and the other posts (the ones that are in the columns) are only excerpts. 
  2. the first post (full width post) doesn't display the thumbnail image but all the other posts  (the ones that are in the columns) display the thumbnail image.

I am finding that I can have either only

1. All excerpts or all full posts - (Full width posts and the posts in the columns)

2. All Thumbnails or no thumbnails. 

Regards,

Bronwyn

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17015 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

Hi,

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, this isn't possible and shouldn't be possible in Platform Pro neither. The Full Width Post, means its full width and isn't a clip. However, it still uses the excerpt, it doesn't mean its going to be both full width and use full content. You have the option(s) to control whether your posts use excerpts or the full content however, there is no option to control this on clips/full width posts.

Also, there is no way to control whether or not the Full Width Post(s), use the Feature Image,  the option for displaying feature image(s) on the Blog page, is universal for all posts both clip and full width posts. The only way to control if an individual posts feature image is visible or not is to either not use a feature image on that particular post or use custom CSS, to hide it.

The thing that is most confusing however, is how you seem to have this functionality on Platform Pro. Can you provide me with a screenshot of your settings, so I can attempt to recreate this functionality. As when I tried a moment ago, I had the same outcome I did on PageLines Framework.

#5 broniors

broniors

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

Hi ..

Sure. I am sure the instructions must be hidden somewhere on the forum as I am sure that it wasn't me that discovered it. :) 

My settings are here. 

I have included the settings for the blogs and posts, settings-reading and my custom CSS.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Regards,
Bronwyn 

#6 broniors

broniors

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

Check out this post ... this is getting part of the way there in regards to the single full post and then the exceprts.

#7 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17015 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

Ok, so I used your settings on Platform Pro and it does indeed display a full width post with full content and the clips display only the excerpt. However, I am not sure if this is actually a bug in Platform Pro, that has been fixed in PageLines Framework, as in the settings you can either use excerpts or the full content, there is noway to control this on individual posts.

The only way for you to have this functionality is to either custom code in the form of a hook/custom section or enable both excerpts and full content on both the Blog Page. However, doing the latter, will result in double content, you will need to use custom CSS, to hide the excerpts on the Full Width post, so it only displays the full content and vice versa on the Clips, so it only displays the excepts and not the full content.

Although the above method will work, I would really recommend it, as you're loading content that isn't even going to be used or read, but will still be visible in your page source code. If you choose to use custom CSS, to do the above, I recommend you read our custom CSS documentation for assistance, as we are unable to provide the code to achieve this kind of layout. 

So I would recommend creating your unique section or use custom code via a hook. If you're unsure how to achieve this, I would recommend contacting one of our Pros, who will be happy to assist you.