Photo
- - - - -

BJ Lazy Load vs Lazyloader

speed lazy load

Best Answer Danny , 31 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

I would recommend a CDN such as MAXCDN but your VPS shouldn't be running out of resources as far as I am concerned with a spike in traffic. I recommend you contact your host and ask them what is going on.

The issues with your server aren't anything we can assist you with unfortunately.

Also, as I currently don't have an active live site, I am unable to test the two lazy loader plugins, so I will bring this to the attention of our developers and see if these numbers add up.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 musiclikedirt

musiclikedirt

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hi

I've switched to a VPS server and had all kinds of issues with RAM and my site generally seems to burn resources with even minimal traffic. It goes offline during peak traffic spikes.

As such Ive tried loads of methods to get the load per visit down, decreasing the number of plugin, installing wp-super-cache and trying to remember to resize images before uploading.

I've currently got BJ Lazy Loader installed to delay loading things until scrolled to.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

but I noticed Pagelines has its own version Lazyloader.

I'm not sure if you can answer this question but I wondered which is better to use both in terms of resource use and visitor experience?

Is a "native" pagelines plugin going to use less resources than installing an additional BJ Lazy Load plugin through wordpress?

Do they both perform the same functions?

Thanks in advance for any help with speeding up my site and getting the SQL queries per visit down (currently about 130).

Neil

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 12968 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hi,

Not sure the differences of performance between the two plugins, but if you're using PageLines Framework, then I would recommend our plugin over a third party.

Regarding your issues with your VPS, that doesn't sound right in my opinion, who hosts your vps (provide link please) and if they have more than one VPS plan, which plan ?

Also, can you enable PageLines debug mode please, PageLines > Site Options > Advanced.

#3 musiclikedirt

musiclikedirt

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Hi, thanks for your help, Im with Dreamhost, and have a 966 MB server with unlimited bandwidth for $48.30/month. 
which is much more than id like to be paying.

Also running on php5.4 and with cloudflare.

Just switched debugging on.

Ive sort of answered my own question about pagespeed between the two flavours of lazy loaders.

If I turn off BJ Lazy Load and use the Pagelines Lazyloader my GTMatrix site load speed is 66% page speed (D) and 66% yslow grade (D).

If I deactivate the pagelines lazyloader and use BJ Lazy Load instead my GTMatrix site speed is 91% page speed (A) and 86% yslow grade ( B ).
Its noticably faster to the naked eye too which is quite surprising.

Which one is the more resource intensive or hogging is another question, its difficult to tell if BJ Lazy load places a much bigger strain on my server?

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

Hi there, I've checked your debug information, I can't see anything untoward in there, no errors being shown.

You site is loading ok when tested via pingdom. The Pagelines product you're using is designed to work with the framework and looking at your previous post regarding load speeds it would look that that is the best option and using less resources the other plugin.

Checking on the wordpress support threads you could run some tests using a plugin like -

or

to see whats using the resources.

#5 musiclikedirt

musiclikedirt

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Thank you James
The site is currently using the BJ Lazy Load plugin but was considering switching to Pagelines own store version.

So you think despite the native lazyload plugin being half as effective as the other one it may be a better choice because it may use less resources?
These are the figures I get back when testing the two types of lazy load.

Pagelines Lazy Loader
Page load time: 4.79s
Total page size: 2.24MB
Total number of requests: 171

BZ Lazy Load
Page load time: 2.52s
Total page size: 634KB
Total number of requests: 33

I tried installing wptuner but before I could activate it it did weird things to wordpress and caused a huge amount of errors to show up on dashboard. Was frozen out of wordpress entirely but was able to restore it by FTP'ing in and deleteing the plugin. Shame as the plugin sounded ideal but perhaps as it hasnt been updated for a few years it no longer works?

Thanks again for advice.

#6 musiclikedirt

musiclikedirt

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

The issue with speed only comes up as having switched to a VPS service I'm constantly getting messages saying my server has exceeded its resources. Thats despite a quiet few weeks on the blog (200-500 views a day) and 996MB of ram ($48). If I get a spike I feel the VPS will melt down.
As a result of halved my plugins, installed caching, lazy load and gone to cloudflare but although site much much faster the resource problem persists. 
I'm starting to think I shouldve stuck to the shared hosting method, but obviously thats a pondering thats beyond the remit of the Pagelines support forum!

#7 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 12968 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hi,

Shared hosting is extremely poor and I woudn't recommend it to anyone, especially over a VPS. Although, 996MB, isn't really a lot of RAM in terms of VPS specs, it should be more than enough to host one site running Wordpress/PageLines Framework. As far as I am aware, you would only need to purchase more RAM if you have high traffic or you ran an active, busy forum.

When you say "When I get a spike", what do you mean, a spike in traffic or a server spike? and what is causing the spike ? These are issues you should be speaking to your host about.

Also, how did you get the lazy loader/bz loader figures, can you provide more information, so we can investigate this ourselves please.

#8 musiclikedirt

musiclikedirt

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

Hi

The figures comparing BJ Lazy Load and PL Lazy Loader are just taken from running a GTMatrix speed test on the site after running the plugins.  Possibly not the most watertight method of testing but seems to occur fairly consistently in the pattern described.

When I say a spike I mean a traffic spike, at current quite quiet levels the VPS server is barely staying within memory/resource constraints. A reasonably popular post a week or so ago took the site offline as the server couldnt cope (im not talking MASSIVE traffic though).
I thought $50 a month worth of RAM (996MB) would be more than sufficient for a fairly low key level of music blog (without a forum) but maybe I need to think again or investigate MAXcdn or something.

Thanks

#9 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 12968 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:47 AM   Best Answer

I would recommend a CDN such as MAXCDN but your VPS shouldn't be running out of resources as far as I am concerned with a spike in traffic. I recommend you contact your host and ask them what is going on.

The issues with your server aren't anything we can assist you with unfortunately.

Also, as I currently don't have an active live site, I am unable to test the two lazy loader plugins, so I will bring this to the attention of our developers and see if these numbers add up.

#10 musiclikedirt

musiclikedirt

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Also using the "P3 - Plugin Performance Profiler" which shows Im generating about 100 MySQL queries per visit which accounts for 40% of the page load time. Which is not too bad I think.

#11 musiclikedirt

musiclikedirt

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for your help Danny, much appreciated.
I'll check with dreamhost and stick with BJ LAzyLoad for the time being as it seems much faster.

Thanks again

#12 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 12968 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Hi Neil,

Just an update, spoken to one of our developers and they have informed me that Lazy Loader only supports images, the other plugin does a variety of things. Thats the reason for the better performance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: speed, lazy load