Photo

Sidebar is pushed to bottom

sidebar layout

Best Answer Danny , 29 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Hi,

The only way this issue can be caused is by invalid HTML on one of your posts that has an unclosed <div> or has a closed </div> which shouldn't be there. When you click on your previous posts link the issue is resolved. Therefore, the issue is definitely on one of the posts on the first blog page.

I recommend you go through each of your posts and review any custom HTML you have added.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 davecfm

davecfm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

Hello,

I updated to platform pro 1.6 after creating a child theme. Unfortunately my sidebar is being pushed down below the content on my main blog page -  shackvalley 

If I click to view the individual blog post, the sidebar is in the correct location.

-My layout editor is currently working after being dead for some time.

-I have made enough space in layout editor to accommodation all that is in the sidebar.

-I have deactivated and deleted any plug-ins that changed recently including AddThis

Thanks for any input. I know this is an old version and I hope to update to frameworrks when possible.

Dave 

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

Hi Dave

I'm looking through in firebug but can't see anything that would cause this, have you made any css edits to the sidebar or main content area? Anything which would adjust the padding/margins etc.

If you switch from the child theme back to the main theme does the sidebar go back into place?

#3 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

Firebug is showing errors on the page, but it won't let me see what they are as the script debugger keeps closing itself when it tries to look into it. 

If you could dump the cache file inside supercache, and then disable it so we can see the live page.

Also deactivate all other third party plugins and we'll take a look to see if that error shows up anymore.

#4 davecfm

davecfm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

No css edits. Once the layout editor was working again I enlarged the sidebar are to allow more room. 

No luck switching back and and forth between child and parent.

I'll clear cache and deactivate all 3rd party plugins.

Thanks

#5 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

Ok let us know when you do and we'll have another look.

As a test, create a new page with a sidebar layout and see if that displays correctly. 

If it does then assign that page to be the blog/homepage in settings>reading and see if it still has the sidebar at the side with the posts on the page or if it moves.

#6 davecfm

davecfm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:17 AM

Cache should be cleared out and all plugins deactivated.

I'll go ahead and make a new page.

I appreciate the help!

#7 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:00 AM

New home page seems to come up fine. If you assign the posts to it does it change? Maybe something got corrupted on the original blog page?

#8 davecfm

davecfm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

I created a test page...no luck. 

What's interesting is selecting "previous entries" at the bottom of the main blog page - it will take you to the correct layout.

I had to restart my askimet plug in - amazing amount of spam overnight.  

#9 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15702 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:00 PM   Best Answer

Hi,

The only way this issue can be caused is by invalid HTML on one of your posts that has an unclosed <div> or has a closed </div> which shouldn't be there. When you click on your previous posts link the issue is resolved. Therefore, the issue is definitely on one of the posts on the first blog page.

I recommend you go through each of your posts and review any custom HTML you have added.

#10 davecfm

davecfm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

OK. I'll narrow it down by either reducing the number of post per page, or returning post to draft status.

Umm, errr, how do I edit the HTML?

Thanks!

#11 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15702 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

To view the HTML code on your posts, you will need to go to Wordpress Admin Dashboard > Posts > Select a Post and then on the editor, in the top right hand corner. You should see two tabs, one called Visual the other Text. Click the text tab and if there is HTML on the post, you will see it.

#12 davecfm

davecfm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

I reduced the number of post per page to (1) under Settings > Reading. The sidebar has reappeared for every post. One post is is completely empty however (no text, no pictures). I assume this post is the culprit.

I've been looking through the html photo links within post...nothing unusual...at least to me. Maybe I'll delete and redo?

Thanks. You've given me hope! 

#13 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15702 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

I think the best thing to do if possible is for you to delete this post, like you said and start again and see if this resolves your issue.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sidebar, layout