Using wp-PostRatings plugin

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hoystory

hoystory

• Members

• 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

I'm trying to re-install the wp-PostRatings plugin after upgrading from Platform Pro. Previously I had the code places right below the post metadata and above the actual post text.

The installation instructions are here: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

In short, I'm supposed to paste: 

Below:

In the index.php file. This does not work with Pagelines and I'm at a loss at how to accomplish this. The Hooker plugin seems like a potential solution, but I'm unclear on which hook to use (and I'm getting the "Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/content/h/o/y/hoystory/html/wp-content/plugins/hooker/hooker.php on line 309" error on Hooker anyway).

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

Hi,

In PageLines Framework, you can go to Dashboard > PageLines > Drag & Drop > Content Area > Blog Post.  Add a Universal or Content Box (must be installed via the Store) as a sidebar above the Post Loop.

If you look at the plugin's instructions, it gives you the option of using shortcode.  Let's stick with that for the moment.

If the Content Box is used and the shortcode is generic enough to pick up the ratings in the post, then just go to Dashboard > PageLines > Page Options and click on Content Box.  Add the shortcode in the Content Box found there.  Save.  The ratings should now appear above the content.

Should you opt for the Universal Sidebar instead of Content Box, then go to Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets.  Click on Universal Sidebar. Drag a Text Widget to that sidebar. In the text widget, paste the shortcode for the plugin. Save and close.  Check to see if the ratings appear as desired.  This may add some padding and margins which may be reduced by CSS.

Just a side note:  I've personally tried that plugin and have experienced issues with it. 

, however, worked like a charm for me, and placement either top of bottom of my post was an internal setting. 

#3 hoystory

hoystory

• Members

• 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

OK, so the shortcode you're referring to is

Correct?

I tried the Content Box method and it's not working. I'm assuming the one I'm clicking on is the "Site Defaults" one. I tried it on the Blog Page one as well, but that has an "Inactive on Template" label on it that I can't seem to turn on. 

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

The Blog Page is the listing of posts, not the posts themselves.

The way you add an element such as a sidebar or content box to a template is via the Drag & Drop settings.  You could, for example, add an available element to a Blog Post, but not to the Blog (page).  That's why you're getting the message, the element used isn't on that template.

Yes, that's the shortcode. And Yes, it is the template found under Site Defaults.

Have you tried the widget method?

#5 hoystory

hoystory

• Members

• 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Tried the widget method too. Neither is working. I'll try that other plugin you suggested, but it will be unfortunate to lose all of the older post ratings.

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

You may not need to.  Some plugins can import the ratings.

Unfortunately, with 3rd party plugins, sometimes they cease working and data can be lost. I'm not sure that's the case here. I'd suggest deactivating your plugin.  Add the new one. Then see if it can pick up previous ratings once activated.

#7 hoystory

hoystory

• Members

• 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

That GD Star Ratings plugin is a much better solution. And you were right. There was an option to import the previous plugin's data and that worked perfectly.

Can you point me at a Documentation page or article that more completely describes how to use the Content Box functionality? That looks like something I could use, but I'm still unclear on the concept.

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

HI,

You can find our ContentBox documentation here -