11 replies to this topic

#1 stug

stug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Framework Version:pro

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

I'm not sure if I have even used the right wording, so let me explain what I am thinking of.

Is it possible to set up a page so that if a visitor clicks on a box or image for instance the content area will change in response without having to load the whole page again. Much the same way that it used to work with frames a while ago. What I am trying to create I suppose is a page that acts like an interface with the content area changing in response to user selections.

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

If you are trying to implement a content area that works like frames without using actual frames, the only section I can think of that would work like this would be Reader (

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

), although I'm not sure the tabs navigation part is what you're really looking for.

#3 stug

stug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hi Catrina, yes you are right that is the sort of thing I am after but with more variety of the type of component that can trigger the content change. Is there any documentation that details  the type of code that allows for those tabs to trigger the change. I suppose then I could apply the same type of code to custom items.

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Now that I think about it, tabs seems to be a better solution. The code for it is under "Tabs" here:

(it can take up the entire space of the content area since it resizes according to the container it's in)

#5 stug

stug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

Thanks will have a look at it.

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

No problem.

#7 stug

stug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Hi Catrina, Tabs might work. Is it possible to insert an image or widget on a tab heading and resize it accordingly?

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:17 AM

Hi there, you'd be able to put an image or icon into a tab title using html/css, not a widget though unfortunately.

#9 stug

stug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

What about short codes. Also is it possible to have tabs on top and side at the same time. Thanks

#10 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'm not sure if shortcodes will work, but you can try. It's only possible to add tabs on the top, not on the side.

#11 stug

stug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Sorry to keep asking questions about this, but I'm just trying to make out if I can bodge this to do what I want before I spend too much time trying to get it to work.

Am I right in thinking if you linked the same code attatched to a tab to say a image somewhere else on the page you could trigger the content change in the same way as if you had clicked on the tab itself. Also is there a limitation as what you can display in the content area?

#12 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

The tabs are toggled using js code so I don't think you'll be able to switch the content using a link alone.

There is a premium section that allows for the auto setup of tabs, you can set them on the top, left, right etc. Check out tabber in case it can help -

You can enter html/images/ other shortcodes into the tabs shortcodes.