Photo
- - - - -

Template

Best Answer Rob , 23 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

To clarify, PageLines Framework isn't a theme. It's a framework, which means that it acts like an engine. You can design your Framework installation to have a particular style or appearance, or, you can use any one of dozens of existing premium or free child themes. The Base Theme will pick up any settings, styling or coding created in the Framework. If you use a pre-built child theme, the look of your site will change, but the Base Theme will not affect it.

A child theme works 'under' the framework, so it picks up the power, resources and settings of the framework to give the child theme functionality.   Since I used the 'engine' metaphor, let's liken this to having a car engine and chassis.  It doesn't matter if you make it look like a Ford, a Rolls Royce, or a Ferrari; the horsepower will be the same.

Thus even if you activate Base Theme or any other child theme, they call upon the Framework for their power, to make them 'go'.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dalfiya

dalfiya

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

I've just upgraded from 1.6 to 2.4 and the default template is now showing boxes at the top, which were not showing there before.  I can't find where to edit the default template?

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

Please go to PageLines > Drag & Drop and select the Page Templates area to deactivate.

#3 dalfiya

dalfiya

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

Thank you.  There are only 5 available templates.  Is it possible to add additional custom templates?

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

Yes, that is possible. Please see the instructions here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#5 dalfiya

dalfiya

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Thank you.  The instructions were clear until this point:

Then we need to navigate to the following directory wp-content/themes/pagelines-template-theme/

pagelines-template-theme is not available in my directory.

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

pagelines-template-theme is the base theme. To install and activate the base theme, please see the “Activate the Base Theme” instructions here:

#7 dalfiya

dalfiya

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

Thank you - I'm not clear on how this integrates with the PageLines Framework.  If I want to keep my website as is but use the child theme for only one custom page, is that possible?  Or will activating the child theme undo work I've done on the templates?

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:33 AM

Hi there, the Pagelines Base theme is a blank theme, so it display your site exactly as see it now as technically it's has no styling etc.

Any style changes you make to the style.css of the base theme will be site wide but using the Pagelines meta settings and template options you can control what appears on each page. For example if you add a custom template you can choose to use that template only on one page.

#9 dalfiya

dalfiya

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Thank you, but to clarify my understanding - I thought only one theme could be activated at a time.  So if you activate the base them then the existing theme would be deactivated?

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:26 PM   Best Answer

To clarify, PageLines Framework isn't a theme. It's a framework, which means that it acts like an engine. You can design your Framework installation to have a particular style or appearance, or, you can use any one of dozens of existing premium or free child themes. The Base Theme will pick up any settings, styling or coding created in the Framework. If you use a pre-built child theme, the look of your site will change, but the Base Theme will not affect it.

A child theme works 'under' the framework, so it picks up the power, resources and settings of the framework to give the child theme functionality.   Since I used the 'engine' metaphor, let's liken this to having a car engine and chassis.  It doesn't matter if you make it look like a Ford, a Rolls Royce, or a Ferrari; the horsepower will be the same.

Thus even if you activate Base Theme or any other child theme, they call upon the Framework for their power, to make them 'go'.

#11 dalfiya

dalfiya

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Thank you!

#12 dp10836

dp10836

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:10 AM

I have just upgraded to the paid pageline and have been watching the videos. In the template video 2.1 it says to get to templates go to dashboard / pageline and templates but I am nbot seeing templates there. How can I get to them and edit them?

#13 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

Hi there, it could be your watching one of the older videos, the menu items changed a while back. To get to the drag and drop templates simply go to Pagelines>drag and drop.

The support docs are fully up to date, use these to reference if you get stuck with some of the video options as Pagelines does get updated regularly and some items could have changed -