Photo
- - - - -

Where is the simplicity Pagelines?

Best Answer James B , 09 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hi there, if you're using the navbar section then the arrow in the submenu is actually created by a css border. Try the following to remove.

.dropdown-submenu > a:after {
    border-color: transparent transparent transparent #CCCCCC;
    border-style: none;}
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 chisim11

chisim11

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Florida
  • Framework Version:2.22

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Using Pagelines 3.5.1. Pagelines site> 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Ok so I appreciate the positives on Pagelines vs Platform but I'm feeling a bit frustrated as I thought things would get more user friendly and that less CSS would be required for those who do not know CSS... but not sure that is the case.

Here are my issues:

1) My logo on the header stays on the left when on Platform Pro was centered(

). Whats up with that?  Is either an option that I cannot find or that CSS is required. Why? This should be a simple center, left or right.

2) I've been trying to remove the down arrows that appear on the fixed menu. I unchecked the "enable arrows on Drop down menu", but it doesnt do anything as I think it only works for the Classic Nav. I cant find an option for the fixed navigation. Also I want to change the white color background that appears after hovering the items that bear the arrows. I would like to keep the backfround black and not white. I played around w/color control I cannot seem to find this.

3) Wanted to add my name and email address or phone number on the fixed menu as it would be visible for customers to see my contact info instead of going into a contact or about tab and so forth but apparently this is not possible unless you know how to work these not so easy hooks, (that's why there is a $9.99 plugin created for that) or pay for a plugin created by one of your developers at the sum of $19 to place this contact info on the menu. 

I realize developers have to charge for their time and effort in creating these plugins, I dont have an issue w/that.... my issue is that I feel as if pagelines has created this framework which has left users like myself who are not very proficient at all in CSS and so forth out in the cold with the only options to purchase plugins  or been referred to ....one our developers directly for things that really should be user friendly and that should not required additional plugins or CSS.

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

1. Did you use custom CSS to control the alignment of the logo?

2. The arrows will need to be removed using CSS. To hide an element, please see the instructions provided here:

(under “Quick Tip”). If you have never used CSS before, please review the entire doc. As for the changing the hover background color, you’ll also need to use Custom CSS. For help with the link hover attribute, please see these instructions:

For help with the background attribute, please see these instructions:

3. To add your contact info to the fixed menu, you can use a hook, and we can help you with that, but you don't necessarily need the Hooker plugin.

#3 chisim11

chisim11

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

Catrina,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Here is what I found. 

1) Looked on the custom code on Platform Code and there was this code: body div.branding_wrap {text-align: center;} . When I removed it, it moved logo to the left. So, apparently, this was provided to me when I was building the site on Platform Pro. One of you guys must have provided this code to me as I would not have a clue of how to do it. Anyways, copy same code on the custom CSS/LESS area in frameworks but nothing happens. 

2) that's exactly what I was talking about. I could not find a custom code on platform to have these arrows removed. CSS is needed even for small things such as to remove the arrows, which I do not believe was a requirement on Platform Pro. I dont understand how pagelines have the option to remove the arrows for the classic navigation by clicking on a box, but offers the fixed navigation and not offer the same option. It makes no sense. WHY??   You are asking me to go to this link which I have no clue what I'm doing just to remove these arrows? Same as the background when hovering. Go to another link, read it and figure it out! Thats basically what we are doing here. 

3) I tried to get it to work. Here was prev contact with one of the moderators 

Catrina, 

Please, do not take it personal, but this is exactly what I'm talking about it. I'm sure I feel like many. I had to upgrade the product to pagelines framework as Platform Pro was a "deprecated" product as indicated by one of your colleague, thus the product was no longer going to be supported. I purchased Platform Pro with the understanding that was a very user friendly, click here and click there business and anyone can do it. That's the message that I got from Andrew Powers when the Platform Pro video was released. And even when watching 2.0 ....everything is at your fingertips, blah, blah. The big difference then and now, the moderators, "you guys" would help out the members with these types of issues. But because of the new policy in place where you can no longer provide CSS code directly 

the game changes. 

What is the most frustrating is the large amounts of time in trying to get this resolved to later been referred to a link for completion. 

The bottom line here is......this is truly a developers platform, not for the average user. If I would have know that support for CSS issues was going to be terminated, I would have taken my losses and moved on to another company that provides a TRUE user friendly experience. 

We have spent more time in going back and forth...even with the first moderator as to which link to go to and so forth, that my issues could  have been resolved many moons ago but instead, we go back to the same links....w3.schools, etc. If that was the case I could have spent the time and learn dreamweaver to build my own site. That's why I purchased this product!!!

I wonder If I will ever get a reply.

God Bless

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4983 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

Hi Chisim

Thanks for getting back to us, I will link this thread to the Management team to review for you.

#5 meilena

meilena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hi,

Certainly apologize for any frustration, we can lend support for your PageLines installation and setup and with different layout configurations, however we cannot design the site in terms of customization and CSS.  We can help provide the proper resources for you to acquire certain CSS knowledge and even give slight tips to try, but actual design our technicians do not have the bandwidth to provide this service.

I am going to see if one of our technicians can provide any further assistance with some of your additional questions, you will receive a response momentarily.

#6 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

Remove the little dropdown arrow:

Something like this would color the menus.

Impossible to test on your site as you have something stopping right click.

#7 chisim11

chisim11

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

Thank you Meilena & Simon for your response.

Please note my goal was never to have someone customize my page. I have certainly spent a lot of time trying to figure this thing out myself. But there is so much time you can spent when your job is not to design/build pages. I got frustrated as I thought there was not consistency moving from Platform Pro to Frameworks for the items above mentioned. Thank you Simon for providing me with the CSS for that.  

Another example I think would be centering the logo. This code that was provided by one of the moderators on the previous site worked, but when I place the same code on custom side on frameworks does not move the logo to the center: body div.branding_wrap {text-align: center;}. Figure that?

So Simon, if I purchase your "hook" plugin, do you provide a bit of support for what I want to get accomplished(

I tried to follow what Danny was telling me but I had no clue maybe the plugin will help.

let me know

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4983 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:37 AM

Hi there, for common css requests like 'centering the logo, centering the nav, bolding the text' etc, there's a free plugin in our store called 'sexy snips' you can try. It has the code in pre-set snippets you can copy/paste.

Take a look at

To use an item like the hooker plugin, you would need to select the hook you wanted to edit (the free action map plugin will show you the locations of the hooks, live on the page when activated, then you can pick the one closest to the area you want the text to appear), then you can enter your required information into hooker using html.

If you've not used html code before, write out the information in a post using the wp editor, then switch to 'text' mode in the top right hand corner of the post editor screen. That will change the post view to a html format, copy and paste that html code into the hooker plugin.

#9 chisim11

chisim11

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:01 AM

Hey Thanks James B. 

I was able to get the logo center using the plugin. So thank you. very helpful.

I got the action map plugin as well but I do not see a location on the actual navigation bar that I could put a plugin. Is this even possible? All I want to do is add my name and contact info(e-mail and phone number) right at the end of the navigation where "about" is. and possibly to make it stand out. Here is an example of what I want to get done >  

What am I missing?

Attached Files

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13192 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Hi,

The simplest method getting your contact info in the Fixed Navigation/NavBar so that you have something that looks like this:

Is to add these as a menu item, which will look like this:

To achieve something similar goto Appearance > Menus and add the items so that you have the following:

You can even add Font Awesome to give your contact info some character, for example.

Code used:

<i class="icon-phone"></i> 01234 56789

<i class="icon-envelope"></i> Email Me

Which looks like this in the Fixed Nav - 

You can also gone one step further and apply a custom class to these two menu items, to make them stand out.

Then add this custom class to your Custom CSS, use the following code as an example.

We have used the #site as it is required to override the default CSS, we have also added the a to the code as the CSS classes option in Appearance > Menu, only targets the the menu item <li> and not the <a>

The Final result looks like this:

#11 chisim11

chisim11

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

Hey Danny,,

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out w/this. Thank you.

I added the menus w/logos (it looks great!) but not sure how to apply the custom class to these 2 menus. I assume you are referring to the "CSS Classes(optional) that appear on the "print screen" that you enclosed cause I dont have them. I thought this was done via Pagelines customize plugin but does not appear to be the case. I added, however, the custom class or the code to the custom css. 

#12 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13192 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

If you do not have the "CSS Classes (Optional)", at the top right hand corner of your Appearance > Menus screen you should see something called, Screen Options, click this and a drop down menu will appear. Once the menu is appears, check the box for the CSS Classes, it is usually on the second row of items.

Once checked, click the drop down icon, on your menu items and the CSS Classes (Optional) field will be available.

#13 chisim11

chisim11

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Thanks again Danny. Your help is really appreciated!!

#14 angusryall

angusryall

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hi, can anyone give me the code to hide the right arrows on the subs as well? as per the .caret {display: none;} detailed above. Many thanks.

#15 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4983 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:43 PM   Best Answer

Hi there, if you're using the navbar section then the arrow in the submenu is actually created by a css border. Try the following to remove.

#16 angusryall

angusryall

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

Great, worked a treat, thank you.