Photo

Grandchildren nav broken in WP 3.5.1 upgrade

Best Answer Rob , 23 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Hi,

Just after the WP 3.5.1 upgrade, one my sites using WHP developed a similar problem in the footer, showing all links very badly.  I switched to the Framework, using iBlogPro5.  The conversion took less than 30 minutes, including custom CSS. The look is quite similar, with a slightly different blue in the NavBar (easily changed by CSS).

I understand the requirements of an academic year, but WordPress doesn't work on a calendar, but on necessary upgrades. As James suggested, each time they upgrade, WHP and other deprecated PageLines products become increasingly difficult to maintain for webmasters. Given that it shouldn't take very long at all, I'd recommend making the change very shortly indeed.

Keep in mind too, that with older themes, many of your plugins may be deprecated.  Often, as I'm sure you know, plugin developers create products that they cannot support later, for whatever reasons. These cause all sorts of issues.  Normally, with older sites, I recommend to clients that they conduct an inventory appraisal by checking WordPress.org to see if all their plugins are compatible with the current version of WP.  If they're not, I recommend replacing the plugin promptly to avoid conflicts, as you're experiencing.

I'm sorry this isn't more helpful, but I assure you, upgrading is the very best solution.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bscherr

bscherr

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hi,

I have a site for which we are using Whitehouse Pro.  We will be upgrading to the Pagelines Framework, but we aren't ready yet.  Yesterday our institution (Syracuse University) upgraded to WP 3.5.1, and the grandchild navigation on my site is broken.

Usually, when you land on a child page that has child pages (e.g. grandchild pages), in the sidebar you see a list of just those grandchild pages. Example is About -->Honors Staff --> Staff member name.
The Honors staff page usually has a listing of all the staff member pages in the sidebar. 

This morning, instead of seeing just the grandchild pages, I see a navigation menu for my entire site!  Attached is a screenshot of what I am seeing, but there are other examples all over the site.

This page of courses: http://honors.syr.ed...urses-seminars/

should display all the pages of course listings that are children of the 'courses-seminars' page.

Help?!  Thanks very much! 

Attached Files

• assomibatrifs likes this

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

Hi there, i still see the names in the staff members menu on your site. Like - http://screencast.com/t/kv2g8EzaKPeq Have you managed to resolve this? Or are you still seeing the same as before?

#3 bscherr

bscherr

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Hi, the drop down navigation works fine. What is happening, is that on the Honors Courses child page (child of 'current students'), Over on the right hand side there is a widget that says "Honors Courses" but instead of seeing all the 'grandchild' pages, it is showing a site map of my whole site. It used to just show the grandchild pages in that widget. 

#4 bscherr

bscherr

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Here are two screenshots. The first one is what the top of the widget is displaying (the entire structure of the site should NOT be displayed). So the 'Home, About, Staff etc..' none of that should be there. All that should be listed are the specific pages that are the children of Honors Courses.

The 2nd one shows the children under the "Honors Courses" page that should be displayed.   With this, the students will have to scroll to the bottom to see the children (different page for each term) of the "Honors Courses" page.   sitenav.PNG

sitenav2.PNG

#5 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

Hi there, I will try and get one of the core team who has a copy of whitehouse pro to take a look and see if this is happening on their copy.

It could be that Wordpress updated the way it handles the menus and this is has effected the theme.

Usual checks, if you deactivate your plugins does it make any difference?

Are you on the lastest edition of Whitehouse Pro?

#6 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

I do not believe the menu functionality you experienced was a part of WhiteHousePro but rather a part of a plugin you were using. You'll need to go look at your sidebar widgets - see where the menu is coming from. Then see which of your plugins affects that menu. You might be using something like Widget Logic to display certain widgets on certain pages.

The fact that Wordpress 3.5.1 made a plugin fail is much more likely than WhiteHousePro being the culprit. :)

Hope that helps!

#7 bscherr

bscherr

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Hi, I don't use a ton of plugins, but the ones I do use I just deactivated and it is still doing it. I actually don't use widget logic, so I deactivated that too. No dice. I am using version 3 of the theme.  

I wasn't using a plugin or widget to display the grandchildren. It just did that as part of the theme. That's one reason we chose it was the navigation was so solid. For now I'll have to put some markup in the Courses page that directs students to the child pages of "Courses". We are in the thick of Fall registration and students are noticing that it's broken.

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

I've asked our developer to see if they have any ideas what could be causing this, once i hear back I'll let you know. As far as I'm aware there wasn't any specific updates in 3.5.1 which would affect/change the menu ordering of Whitehouse.

Unfortunately as Whitehouse is now a legacy theme you'll find as Wordpress continues to update in future that more little issues like this will start appearing. It would be beneficial to consider updating to the Pagelines Framework in the near future to maintain functionality on your site.

If your markup doesn't work it might be worth downgrading to a previous edition of Wordpress in the meantime to go back to the original setup until this issue either gets a fix provided or we have some further information regarding what caused it.

#9 bscherr

bscherr

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

Thanks, I do plan on upgrading to Framework this summer but can't do it during the academic year.  Syracuse U has two other sites that are on the framework: http://remembrance.syr.edu and http://nationalscholarships.syr.edu, plus we have one more coming on line this month (the undergraduate studies web site).  I hate (really) their chosen content management system (Cascade by Hannon Hill) and SU has been gravitating more and more towards WordPress. As they do so I am championing Pagelines because it's really the most flexible solution for academic departments that don't have dedicated developers.

I will put in my HTML fix for now with displaying links to the grandchild pages, but now I need a way to just get rid of that awful widget that shows the entire site navigation.  The widget doesn't show up in my sidebars and widgets dashboard, it's hard coded in somewhere.  Can you tell me where so I can remove it if it can't be fixed? 

I can't downgrade my WordPress because I am on the institutional server. Syracuse U decides when I upgrade, and I guess I upgraded!

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:11 PM   Best Answer

Hi,

Just after the WP 3.5.1 upgrade, one my sites using WHP developed a similar problem in the footer, showing all links very badly.  I switched to the Framework, using iBlogPro5.  The conversion took less than 30 minutes, including custom CSS. The look is quite similar, with a slightly different blue in the NavBar (easily changed by CSS).

I understand the requirements of an academic year, but WordPress doesn't work on a calendar, but on necessary upgrades. As James suggested, each time they upgrade, WHP and other deprecated PageLines products become increasingly difficult to maintain for webmasters. Given that it shouldn't take very long at all, I'd recommend making the change very shortly indeed.

Keep in mind too, that with older themes, many of your plugins may be deprecated.  Often, as I'm sure you know, plugin developers create products that they cannot support later, for whatever reasons. These cause all sorts of issues.  Normally, with older sites, I recommend to clients that they conduct an inventory appraisal by checking WordPress.org to see if all their plugins are compatible with the current version of WP.  If they're not, I recommend replacing the plugin promptly to avoid conflicts, as you're experiencing.

I'm sorry this isn't more helpful, but I assure you, upgrading is the very best solution.

#11 bscherr

bscherr

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the tip on the iBlogPro5. You are right, it isn't too bad to customize it.  I'll do my best, just a few weeks earlier than I anticipated! 

#12 jariail

jariail

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

I'm having exactly this same problem on my site, http:// www.christchurchvaldosta.org, after 3.5.1 upgrade. Look at the path About - Publications. The sidebar on the right should list the grandchildren pages, but instead shows a site map. I can't go to the new Pagelines format. Any solution to the immediate problem?