8 replies to this topic

#1 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC
  • Framework Version:2.4.4

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Haven't been using this for awhile, or Wordpress for that matter - but I started redoing the site I was working on and... I forgot most everything. Hmmm... how exactly do I make a page a blog page again? It seems all the pages I created aren't "blog" pages and I can't select that from the templates... I've set up a number of templates with the main site settings, and added boxes, banners etc. But my posts aren't showing up on any pages I created... I know this is going to sound bad, but I have to reorient myself again after Squarespace... Ha!

Also, is there any way to get the footer background colored? Content and page area but no footer?

Sorry if this stuff is laughably bad...

Thanks!

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:02 AM

Hi there, once you've set up a new blank page and called it blog. Go to settings>reading>general from the wp admin area. You'll see two drop downs. One to select the page you want to be your homepage, to other to set your posts to. Save and that will become the blog page and will be set to use the blog template.

#3 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

Thanks... I should have searched the forums first! Ha! I found that in a post... I haven't been working with Wordpress for awhile, so I had to reorient myself. A couple questions though:

1. I have the PageLines framework in my themes folder in a folder called pagelines. Then I have a folder called pagelines-template-theme which I set up awhile ago. Is that a proper child theme arrangement? Inside I have: _notes, sections, (folders) style.css. setup.php, page.example.php and functions.php... If that is correct than, am I working with the child theme now??? I haven't added any custom styles to the style.css at this point, just styling the pagelines basic blocks. I'm assuming compiled.css is the main stylesheet for the framework?

2. What is LESS, and do I need to add to my child theme styles etc. I saw an article about it and was thinking I should include and or use with the latest Pagelines 2.4.1 which I downloaded.

3. Is it possible to have multiple blog pages with Pagelines and or Wordpress...

Thanks for your help!

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15891 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Hi,

1. I recommend you visit our customisation methods for assistance with how to use a child theme - 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

2. Please read our documentation on what and how to use LESS CSS - 

3. Wordpress only supports one Blog page, if you require more, then I recommend you use categories.

#5 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

O.K. I guess I am using the child theme... In templates I have Base theme selected. So to use LESS I just need to add style.less to my child theme folder? Does that replace style.css or is it added to it. I probably need to download the customizations plugin.

Thanks!

#6 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

The documentation Danny linked you to will help you setup the customisation method you choose. 

#7 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

Hmmm... yes, I've read that. But I had to reload the Wordpress installed folder a couple times since I reformatted this computer recently, so I think I've screwed up the installation. I just discovered the paglines-customize folder and it's outside the wordpress site folder. DOH! So, does that go in the themes/pagelines-template-theme folder? And is that going to screw up my current theme if I add it... Sorry about the confusion I just don't want to reload the whole thing...

Thanks for your help.

#8 dhrose

dhrose

• Members

• 159 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Er, o.k. I see it goes in plugins... Maybe I downloaded it and never installed it awhile back. I've added the style.less file to pageline-customizations and the child theme folder... So, I guess I should ask:

Is this a "don't ask programming questions" deal - hire a developer... or can I ask (some) questions and get help here with css and functions etc. I've actually had some experience with php but my work keeps taking me away from web stuff. If I upgrade to the (plus) account can I get some help in that area as well?

Thanks folks!

#9 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hi there,

Unfortunately we're unable to assist with site customizations/css or programming code on the whole. That's considered outside of our support spectrum for the product. We are able to point you in the correct direction though for assistance, so if there's anything you want to check, drop us a question and we'll advise accordingly. 

If you're looking to develop sections or features for pagelines then consider joining the Pagelines Junto group, this is the developer community at -

The Plus membership is for technical issues relating to the product, they won't be able to advise on programming or technical matters unfortunately. Just on the functionality of the framework and using the various sections/features etc.