Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pockets Gallery Images Don't Start Changing

Question

Posted · Report post

I love Projects. The images in the gallery appear and start changing only if the mouse in the image area (no need to click). If I open and close a  project box than the image gallery may show, but not change before I move the mouse.  Any suggestion?

(I saw in the forum that you are aware of the cropping of images).

Thanks.

27 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

I have recorded a video. I do not see any issues with the gallery section of Projects. You can see this video of me operating the gallery, and it does not require a hover, and works just as it should.

http://screencast.com/t/laPXM8c3O

If you require any more assistance please let me know.

Nick

Posted · Report post

Ya just not sure what to tell you. It's something on your site that's preventing it from working correctly. Try interval of 5000 instead of 2000 to match the demo just to rule out lower than minimum speeds. 

Posted · Report post

Thanks. This is helpful. Your video indeed shows at least two of the problems:

1. the carousel pictures don't change until you hover or click on the arrows.

2. the gallery begins with image #2, rathe than image #1.

At least at my end, the gallery image show in the first place only after you "play" a bit with the page. I can't say that this product works well, or that your video shows that it works. But I am not going to argue over that. I really like your products. This one simply doesn't seem to work well on my website (it may work well on others). I've tried it on a good number of computers and devices, and it doesn't seem to work well on your computer. No hard feelings at my end. 

Posted · Report post

Thanks. I am a big fan of your products. It is a bummer that this one doesn't work. Do you have any remote intuition about what it may be? I haven't customized anything. I am using the Pagelines framework with a few plugins that were deactivated for the purpose of the exercise. 

Could it be related to the server/hosting services I am using (inmotion)? I tried it on my personal website (in which I have am using your Citi Theme) and had the same outcome. 

Thanks again.

Posted · Report post

ya you know what that does suck because I checked locally and it's also not doing it. Can you email me some login info? I'll investigate. email@nickhaskins.com

*edit*
scratch that, i just was able to replicate it! Awesome!! OK lemme check it out may be a while.

Posted · Report post

I have done that, of course. The pix in the carousel are still cropped (and yes, it is upgraded to 1.1.1). 

Posted · Report post

I sort of feel like I'm being played with a bit. Like settings are being changed as I'm writing responses. I just visited your site, again, and its working, just as it should be, without requiring a hover. You have the interval filled out, so its auto playing. When I visited it last time, it was not auto playing, because you did not have the interval filled out.

Again I checked my local copy and do not see any issues at all, nor can I replicate anything that you are seeing. Without being able to replicate it, I simply can't fix it. I see this as working just as it should. This is the ONLY complaint of this nature which is leading me to believe you have something weird with your install. What that is, I wish I could tell you.

*Edit*

I'm gonna change the gallery. It's been un-reliable from the start. I had some colleagues check, and they see different things than what I  am seeing, and while its auto starting, sometimes it doesnt. I have no early idea why this is, so this, along with the height issue on portrait images, means i"m going to switch this out. I'll update you when I have a new gallery in place.

Posted · Report post

i recommend thinking your information architecture through and considering the principle of: 

* give people the fastest access to the info you are providing possible

* that means the best most concise cleanest Table Of Contents right then and there

* it means the lowest amount-of-clicks

if people want to come back to a topic buried in image 4 of a 7 image carousel, they need to wait several seconds just to find what they want to read. 

YES, use a carousel to create excitement and have people click on hot topics...

but NOT: do not use a carousel for navigation. why? because navigation must be obvious and work quickly to save people time. 

...does that help?

Posted · Report post

Nick,

Do you need access to my website (or something else), or do you have it replicated?

Posted · Report post

I have no interest in wasting the time of any person, let alone mine. As far as I know, the interval has always been on 2000, with the exception of a few moments that I tried to see whether something changes if I delete the interval. It may be my karma or something else, but I can only say what I see here (see image below, taken now). I installed projects in another website of mine. In that website the images in the gallery appear but they don't start changing unless I click on one of the navigation arrows. The problems remain when I deactivate all plugins. 

I don't think that you should try to resolve a problem that exists only on my website(s). 

Re dainismichel's note: I am not sure how is it related to a situation when the images in the carousel don't change. 

Thanks for everything.

projects.jpg

Posted · Report post

Hmm kinda weird. I just pulled up the demo and the gallery starts without having to mouse over it.

Posted · Report post

You already knew that about the demo (I assume). It is weird indeed. Everything works perfectly but that. If it helps, the gallery often starts with image #2. See http://www.regulationonline.net

Posted · Report post

I didn't already know that about the demo, I just pulled it up to test as it's the same product that is on the store. I cant replicate the behavior that you're talking about. I would start disabling all 3rd party sections and plugins until you find what's causing the conflict.

Posted · Report post

Just wanted to check in to see if you've managed to find the issue, and if you need any further assistance.

Nick

Posted · Report post

Thanks. I deactivated all plugins and sections other than Projects but it didn't change anything. All the pix are in the recommended size and were shrunk through JPEGmini. 

Posted · Report post

I just went to your site, and your images in your galleries are loading and are rotating as they should. I did not have to "hover" over them to get them to start. If you do not fill out the interval, the gallery will not go by itself. 

Please confirm that you are seeing the same thing on your site, as I see on your live site. From my end, it does not appear to be any issues at all.

Posted · Report post

No I do not need access I replicated and fixed this last night. Just going to put a few more things in this update and will send it out today.

Posted · Report post

I see the same thing on all computers (iMac, MacBook, office PC, iPhone, and iPad). Below is the image before I hoover. Also, as far as I could tell, while all images are 600x400 pixels, they are cropped at the bottom. 

pi.jpg

Posted · Report post

Thanks for everything. Your non-nonsesne quality is truly impressive. 

Posted · Report post

Nick: Thanks for the update. Something change in the carousel, but it still requires a hover (now sometimes even a mouse click) to start. 

I see that I mistakenly classified this thread as "Pockets" rather than "Projects." I apologize for that.

Posted · Report post

I updated this last night. It does NOT require a hover to start. By default it will do nothing unless you fill in the interval under Page Options.

Posted · Report post

I went to your site, and you still have a lot of plugins active. I cannot replicate the behavior locally, on my demo, and nobody else has reported any issues of this nature, so I really don't know what to do next. If I can't replicate an issue, I can't provide a fix.

Posted · Report post

This is puzzling. Do you see it after you clear up the cache? I see the same outcome on any computer device (and have tried quite a few).

Posted · Report post

I saw your instructions with the update. I filled the interval under the Page Options. Still it doesn't start.