Photo

Achor tags

Best Answer jdstiles2 , 20 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

I got it...Wow what a lesson.  I did not realize I could change my "menu".  I call that a navigation bar but once I saw what you were talking about it made sense.  It works perfectly.  Thanks for taking the time!!!!  :sword:

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jdstiles2

jdstiles2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area
  • Framework Version:Platform Pro

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:54 AM

Is is possible to anchor tag in banners?  I want to anchor tag a youtube video on one page from a drop down in the navigation.  I don't use the paragraph section when I build my site so I need to anchor to a banner.  Does that make sense?  I've attached a photo showing the drop down menu.  I've also attached a photo showing the embedded youtube video on the landing page.  Can you only anchor in tinyMCE and not in banners and boxes?  :goodjob:

Attached Files

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

Hi there, yes you'll be able to add anchors to a the content area of a banner. You'll need to do this is html though,

<a name="myanchor"></a>

and the in your custom menu enter the link in the custom url field in this format using the full url followed by the anchor name.

http://www.mysite.co...e_id=1#myanchor

#3 jdstiles2

jdstiles2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

James,

Thanks for your response!!!

A couple of questions.

1. when you say <a name="myanchor"></a> , do i replace the words "myanchor" with words from the content area?  (I'm lost)

2. Where is my custom menu?  Is that the tinyMCE area that you are speaking of?  (The link you sent as an example was shortened)

If you go to my video tab on my navigation menu and click on tuff form installation video page it should link halfway down the tuff form page in the drop down navigation under brands/ARC.  Do I need words in my content area of the banner?  I currently am only using the header portion.  (This is the hardest thing I've done on this site so far.)  I've been on this problem for 2 days now. 

#4 jdstiles2

jdstiles2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Also, I've been the 'Page Links To' plug in to send the user to the proper page and i was wondering if that is where I add the #anchortag word?  The 'Page Links To' plug in does what I need but it does not send the user to the anchor tag. 

#5 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

Hi,

So on the actual page near the content you want the page to scroll to, you enter your html anchor, you can call the name of that anchor whatever you want, it just acts as a marker on the page to tell the link where to scroll down to.

<a name="videoanchor"></a>

You'll need to set up a custom menu is appearance>menus. This will allow you to make your own wordpress menu, adding pages, categories and custom links, this will replace the existing menu in your navigation bar. To find out more on custom menus, check out - http://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/

In to that menu, you'll need to use the 'add custom url' field to add the link to your new anchor you have placed on the page.

In that url field, add the url to the page the anchor is on, followed by the name of the anchor. In this format.

http://www.full-url-to-my-page.com/#videoanchor

#6 jdstiles2

jdstiles2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

James,

Thanks for your time.  I'll review your last message to me including the links and get back to you.  Your knowledge is humbling.  Thanks for taking the time to help me out.  :D

#7 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:07 AM

You're welcome, let us know how you get on :-)

#8 jdstiles2

jdstiles2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:19 PM   Best Answer

I got it...Wow what a lesson.  I did not realize I could change my "menu".  I call that a navigation bar but once I saw what you were talking about it made sense.  It works perfectly.  Thanks for taking the time!!!!  :sword:

#9 JudithKlinger

JudithKlinger

• Members

• 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:00 PM

Ciao. The instructions above make sense...but what If I don't want a menu that appears at the top of the page? 

Is it possible to use iBox and have the text or title of the ibox be the link to the anchor on that page? 

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17919 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:07 AM

Unfortunately, you can not use an iBox to act as an anchor you will need to use either a TextBox or MediaBox.