Photo
- - - - -

Grid system and tables - Urgent

grid tables

Best Answer James B , 14 March 2013 - 03:42 AM

You could also try a plugin like - http://wordpress.org...timate-tinymce/ which will replace the wordpress editor and let you use tables inside there like excel/word would.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nightingalemarketing

nightingalemarketing

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

Good morning, afternoon or evening!

I am trying to setup a new page with a table that will contain some text and some images. I know this is very basic, but I can't seem to make it happen as easily as I would like.

First let me say, I'm not a developer and I've inherited a WordPress site with Pagelines Framework so did not do the original setup and install.  I know my way around WordPress somewhat, but still fairly new and completely new to Framework. I just upgraded everything so am using the latest versions of WordPress and Framework. 

From what I know about WordPress  the Wysiwyg editor should contain the ability to create a table without having to code it. With Framework, it seems that it is designed to use this grid system. It sounds cool and simple, but I'm having a hell of a time, it's not doing what I want after several hours of tinkering and I'm running out of time. I really just want to create an html table. 

So my main question: The ability to create tables with the editor is not there - is this because Framework removes this option so that the grid system will function properly? Is there a way to turn off the grid and turn on tables?

I have a working knowledge of html, but trying to code it will take me  much longer and I'm under the gun to get this done today. (In my research I see there are arguments for and against using tables vs divs. I don't care about any of that, I need to use tables for now and can change it later when I have more time to tinker)

A million thank yous in advance for any advice you can give me.

Jen

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

I don't think the code that's built in to make the grid system work affects tables. Out of curiosity, what is your specific reason for wanting to use tables? (Tables are only recommended if you intend on displaying data rather than text and images. There is more insight here about the use of tables:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

)

#3 nightingalemarketing

nightingalemarketing

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Catrina - Thanks for the quick reply!

I would like to use tables for a couple reasons 1) I've been messing around with the grid system for so long I'm out of time and am way more familiar with tables. I'm also not proficient with CSS, so what the silktide article suggests will take forever 2) What I want to display is mostly data. It's pretty simple and there will be no nesting. 

It will be 3 columns showing a status of our software servers that we will update manually (yeah, yeah I know there are easier automated ways to monitor the status of servers, but that's besides the point :))

Column 1: list of our software servers

Column 2: An image of either a small red, green or yellow dot indicating the status of the server

Column 3: Text comments relating to the status of the server

You are correct that I can input the code for a table and it will work. My problem really, besides being more of a designer than a developer, is that the Wysiwyg editor does not have the option to create and style a table quickly and easily. I thought maybe there was some trick to getting that option back into the editor. If not, maybe I just need to pull up Dreamweaver and fumble my way through creating a table.

btw - I'm not opposed to learning a new and better way to layout a page, it's just that I have to get this page up the fastest way possible and trying to learn new things under pressure is just going to stress me out :) 

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

Yeah, I think you may need to build the tables in Dreamweaver and copy the code over into Text editor. I'm not sure of any way to add the table option to the editor (unless you find a plugin for it:

). 

#5 nightingalemarketing

nightingalemarketing

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for your help!

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:42 AM   Best Answer

You could also try a plugin like -

which will replace the wordpress editor and let you use tables inside there like excel/word would.

#7 nightingalemarketing

nightingalemarketing

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

James B - you  are a life saver! I tried a different table plugin that I could not figure out, but Ultimate Tinymce worked like a charm.

Thank you!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grid, tables