Photo
- - - - -

Problem with Widget Logic

Best Answer Rob , 10 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

Franck,

I don't recommend changing category names, but it's possible.  Since that's a WordPress issue, I'd recommend you research the documents and support at wordpress.org.

If it worked previously, use the 'LITTORAL PICARD' method (with single quotes) and see if that's okay.  If it works, then you're all set.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 franckhelin

franckhelin

• Members

• 144 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

My logic Widget does not work and I do not really know why. I think it is because of conflicts. In fact, I made updates: wordpress, pageline, plugins ... As I did not find a solution, I wonder if anyone knows another widget logic plugins.

A big thank you in advance!

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Hi,

It's probably a plugin conflict.  I don't think it's PageLines, as I use it, and have everything up to date without any issues.

So, my recommendation is to leave PageLines Customize, PageLines Sections, Akismet (if you use it), any cache plugin, and Widget Logic activated. Deactivate your other plugins. See if the issue resolves after clearing the cache.  If it does, then reactivate each plugin, one at a time. If you do have a cache plugin, clear the cache via the plugin after each plugin is activated and check to see if the issue recurs.  If it does, then make a note of that plugin, deactivate it again, and continue one plugin at a time.

If it turns out to be only one plugin (which I suspect it will), find a replacement.

Frequently, when plugin developers don't maintain their products, this happens. Widget Logic is very well maintained. 

I just noticed that some people are having the same issue, and also with Dynamic Widgets (something similar). It's likely the result of some update on the WP backend causing a conflict.  I'd also suggest writing to the Widget Logic developers.

#3 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

We've never experienced any problems with widget logic. Perhaps if you explain what your trying to do and provide the logic code you are using we might be able to advise you further. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#4 franckhelin

franckhelin

• Members

• 144 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

I reinstall the plugin but it still does not work. Is that the correct syntax is: is_category (LITTORAL PICARD)

Thank you.

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

No, it's incorrect. Please see

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

You'd need to enclose the category like this: is_category ('LITTORAL PICARD')

Additionally, unless your category name is in all caps, that too may be an issue. You must use the category created in Dashboard > Posts > Categories, not the category label used elsewhere.  When I click your link to LITTORAL PICARD, I am taken to: 

If baie-de-somme-baie-dauthie is the actual category, that's the name you need in the conditional tag.

#6 franckhelin

franckhelin

• Members

• 144 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Ok, great! The problem was the name of the category. But it is strange because before I put the name LITTORAL PICARD it worked! Strange ...

Is that I can change the original name of a category only without affecting my blog?

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:08 PM   Best Answer

Franck,

I don't recommend changing category names, but it's possible.  Since that's a WordPress issue, I'd recommend you research the documents and support at wordpress.org.

If it worked previously, use the 'LITTORAL PICARD' method (with single quotes) and see if that's okay.  If it works, then you're all set.

#8 franckhelin

franckhelin

• Members

• 144 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Oh oh, I do not understand. I just tried with the name 'LITTORAL PICARD' and it works again ! Have you done a debug ?

#9 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

No. But I'm glad it works.

You may have the label for the category set up that way, but the slug different.  As long as it works, then you can leave it. I'm glad that resolves this problem for you.

#10 franckhelin

franckhelin

• Members

• 144 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

THANK YOU !

#11 franckhelin

franckhelin

• Members

• 144 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

My widget is displayed on the page with the articles of the category 'LITTORAL PICARD' but not in the articles in this category ! How ?

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Franck,

I don't know what you mean by "but not in the articles in this category".   Could you explain more?

#13 franckhelin

franckhelin

• Members

• 144 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Sorry for my english ! I'm french.

Ok

but not

. Article "En attendant le printemps" = category SÉNÉGAL !!!

#14 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

You can use the category numbers instead of slug. On the category edit list each category has a unique number like: Is_category( 5 ) Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#15 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Votre anglais est très bon. Bien mieux que mon Français !

Franck, as Simon suggest, you can use the ID number for each category. The link I provided you earlier to Conditional Tags shows all the options of how to use Widget Logic with categories.

To find the category ID number, go to Dashboard > Posts > Categories and when you click Edit for any category, the ID will display in the URL.  All you need is the number.

#16 franckhelin

franckhelin

• Members

• 144 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

ah ah lol, good french !

thank you ;-)

#17 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts